Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licentiate of The Society of International Nature & Wildlife Photographers

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Licentiate of The Society of International Nature & Wildlife Photographers

Just got back today from 2 weeks away. Have uploaded the images and will get to work on them tomorrow (including my first ever sighting of an otter).

But in the mail was advise that I been awarded an Licentiate of The Society of International Nature and Wildlife Photographers.

Ok, it's the first rung on the ladder, but it's a rung.

My 20 images were judged by a panel of holders of the Fellowship.

So, I am feeling quite pleased with myself.
    Last edited by Donald; 30th September 2017 at 07:47 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Licentiate of The Society of International Nature & Wildlife Photographers

Congratulations!

I'm curious about the portfolio of 20 images. Are these one that you've previously post on CiC, or perhaps on your website?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

They've all been on here is various guises at different points in time. I've posted these as an album at https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...p?albumid=3877.

They were re-processed after taking advise, for submission to the judging panel.
    Last edited by Donald; 30th September 2017 at 08:34 PM.

Real Name
    Randy

Congratulations on your well-deserved award, Donald! Your images are always first-rate, with intriguing, artistically-stunning subjects and expert execution of your photographic vision. You certainly deserve to be proud of such a great achievement.

Real Name
    Dan

Congrats, Donald. Nicely done.

Real Name
    Paul David

Congratulations on a well deserved award.

Real Name
    Ole

Congratulations Donald. Your images are always well executed. Enjoy and savour the award. I shall have a Talisker to toast your success.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Jeff

Congratulations on receiving the award, Donald. These images are sublime.

Real Name
    John

Very nice, congrats.

Real Name
    Bill

First and most important, sincere congratulations Donald. Next, irrespective of the reason for compiling these, this is an utterly superb album, unified by the themes of (your signature) B&W treatment of Nature - thanks for posting.

Last of all, a confession: when I saw the title of the award the immediate reaction was "when did Donald ever take a wildlife shot" . Maybe you could try a few one day, just for fun?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Last of all, a confession: when I saw the title of the award the immediate reaction was "when did Donald ever take a wildlife shot" . Maybe you could try a few one day, just for fun?
    I'm working on Otter shots from Lochinver last week. Watch this space!

The Societies class Landscape as fitting into Nature & Wildlife.

Thank you to everyone else who has offered congratulations.

This photography lark is not so easy as it looks. One of the judges was not impressed by my images at all. Luckily the other 4 were (you do get the individual judges comments). The chap who didn't like my stuff thought that Camera Craft was below standard, as was Composition, Lighting Skills, Photographer Input and Technique.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm working on Otter shots from Lochinver last week. Watch this space!

The chap who didn't like my stuff thought that Camera Craft was below standard, as was Composition, Lighting Skills, Photographer Input and Technique.
    Look forward to the otter shots, Donald, and I'd really like to see what that self-appointed paragon of all that's great in Camera craft produces in regard to Composition, Lighting skills, Photographer input and technique. At a guess, not B&W, not square format, and not imaginative.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

. One of the judges was not impressed by my images at all. Luckily the other 4 were (you do get the individual judges comments). The chap who didn't like my stuff thought that Camera Craft was below standard, as was Composition, Lighting Skills, Photographer Input and Technique.
    Congratulations. Well earned. As to the dissenter. I am sure they are entitled to their opinion, the relevant bit is the acceptance.

Real Name
    Richard

Congratulations for a well deserved recognition...

Well deserved Donald. Congratulation!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

But in the mail was advise that I been awarded an Licentiate of The Society of International Nature and Wildlife Photographers.

Congratulations Donald.

For those of us who are "not in the know", exactly what does this mean?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Congratulations Donald.

For those of us who are "not in the know", exactly what does this mean?
    For many in the world of photography, especially in the UK, the society to get into is the Royal Photographic Society. Having an ARPS or FRPS after your name used to mean more money - for one thing. In my mind (wrongly I'm sure) the RPS has a bit of a fuddy-duddy, arcane image. The Societies of Photographers has a much more dynamic, get up and go image - in my head.

It seems to me that they both offer similar things - an annual convention; mentoring (which is an amazing tool for getting an improvement in your work); regular competition (which are seen as testing your work out there); magazine; and, of course, the award.

The Societies award are:- Licentiateship; Associoateship; Fellowship.

There are 8 Societies within the umbrella body. The most popular is the Society of Wedding and Portrait Photographers, but there are Societies for:- Fashion & Glamour; Travel and Tourism; Commercial and Industrial; Sport & Leisure; Media & Press Photographers; School and Event and, of course, Nature & Wildlife.

It offers all sorts of professional advice for pro photographers, particularly around business models. And it has many companies offering discounts to members (insurance; papers; lighting, etc).

The next goal is Associateship (achieved by about 10% of those who hold a Licentiateship). In maybe 5/6 years time.

Real Name
    Bill

For many in the world of photography, especially in the UK, the society to get into is the Royal Photographic Society. Having an ARPS or FRPS after your name used to mean more money - for one thing. In my mind (wrongly I'm sure) the RPS has a bit of a fuddy-duddy, arcane image.
    Wouldn't disagree with that ... Did you consider the PAGB merit award scheme, probably at Master level? Once obtained it's free for life, and as an organisation it strikes me as a bit more real world than the RPS.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Wouldn't disagree with that ... Did you consider the PAGB merit award scheme, probably at Master level?
    I looked at that, Bill. The thing that put me off is it's for club members, affiliated to Federations. I am not really a club type of a person and wouldn't want to join one just for the purpose of gaining access to this award.

Real Name
    Bill

I looked at that, Bill. The thing that put me off is it's for club members, affiliated to Federations. I am not really a club type of a person and wouldn't want to join one just for the purpose of gaining access to this award.
    Ah, that makes sense Donald, and in my case I sort of agree. I'm an active member of the local club here on the other side of the Ochils; it suits me well, the members are very pleasant and down to earth, and I've learned a lot from entering the various competitions. However, I'm not really a club type either and strongly resisted the doubtless well-meant suggestion from someone who is active in the RPS that I should join a more, shall we say, prestigious club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast