Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Focal Length

Real Name
    julius

Focal Length

How do I set the focal length. I have a canon 100d with a canon zoom lens ef-s 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 is

help please

Real Name
    David

Re: Focal Length

Julius - The straight answer is that you have a zoom lens with a variable focal length of between 55 and 250 mm. To set it at any value between those limits turn the knurled sleeve on the lens. Usually, such a lens is used for compositional reasons so as to bring more or less of a scene into the frame - hence turning the sleeve to achieve this.

It may be that this is not exactly what you meant - so please come back to us.

David

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Focal Length

If you mean "How do I preset the focal length?" Turning the knurled knob will match up the numbers "55; 70; 100; 135; and 200" with the white indicator mark. This is your approximate focal length. For focal lengths in between these numbers the photographer must "guestimate".

By the way, I said "approximate focal length" because these markings, and the focal length of a zoom lens as a whole. are only accurate when the lens is focused at infinity.

BTW: I seldom look at the focal length I have chosen exept through the viewfinder.