Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon or Nikon (DSLR)

Canon or Nikon (DSLR)

Hi All,

I wish to buy a new camera
    Which can i select Canon or Nikon
    my budget is US$1000
    Last edited by Gereen; 30th October 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Canon or Nikon (DSLR)

Hi Gereen,

You can select either

And is that $1000 New Zealand Dollars? Australian Dollars? Canadian Dollars?

PS: Welcome to CiC - great to have you with us.

Real Name
    David

Re: Canon or Nikon

Hi Gereen - Always a difficult question to answer in simple terms. You probably need to think of the type of camera first- compact, DSLR, or the newish hybrid type from Panasonic and others. If it is a DSLR you're after, then as well as Nikon and Canon there are manufacturers such as Pentax, and Sony to consider.

Remember, too, that when you buy a particular brand, say Canon, you are buying into a system: lenses, accessories, software, on-line support. So it's worth considering, via catalogues or on-line, what's available from different manufacturers.

The general advice that I give and I know others here would also provide is to go to a camera shop and hold different makes, play about with them (well, as far as the shop will allow!) and see how they handle in your hands. There is nothing quite like the feel of a camera to tell you if it's correct for you. In my case, I used to shoot with a Pentax, but swapped to Canon years ago because the model felt better to my mind and it was just easier to use. However, others will tell you that Nikon or some other brand feels better to them and that's fine.

For $1000 I reckon you would get a very good entry level plus model of DSLR, again check in retail stores or on-line (Amazon is quite good or ebay) to see what you can get for that sort of cash. I reckon that all the big manufacturers make good cameras at different price levels. So you won't go wrong whatever you choose.

Cheers

David

Remember that if you purchase a good quality body with interchangeable lenses, you will be able to add extra lenses as you can afford them.

But we really need more information about what subjects you wish to photograph and how you intend to use your camera. An easy to use and carry small camera with just one lens or a starter system?

Which can i select Canon or Nikon
    Does not matter, they both produce similarly fine ranges of equipment. Go to the store cuddle them, caress them, whichever feels natural in your hands buy it. With bodies it is down to ergonomics and build quality but this is apparent within the ranges rather than between them.

Real Name
    Jason

I agree completely go to the store and hold them. Whatever feels easier to use while your looking through the viewfinder is ideal. You wouldnt want to miss a shot because of a confusing. Personally i dont like the location of the buttons on canons. But its probably just because I'm used to my nikon. Ive used film pentax but it was nothing special, i believe it was an entry level model, but never a digital.
    If I could give you a completely biased opinion because i have one, look into the d90, i think there around $700 now. I love it and i have never had a problem with it.

But believe me that is as biased as an opinion as possible. And there are people here that are far more knowledgable than i am as my d90 is the first dslr I've owned. That said it was easy to learn to use

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    With bodies it is down to ergonomics and build quality but this is apparent within the ranges rather than between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    Whatever feels easier to use while your looking through the viewfinder is ideal.
    I'm going to play "devil's advocate" here and suggest that ergonomic differences between similar models of different brands really aren't that important because - I believe - it IS just a case of whatever you get used to. A good example is cars; on occasions I've had a rental for a few days because mine has been in the shop. When I first hop into the rental is feels AWFUL - seat adjust is in a different place - removing the key from the ignition is different - indicator controls are now on the other side - you name it, it's different ... and yet ... a couple of days later it all feels quite at home.

From a camera perspective, I've shot with Nikon - and I have to say it felt as weird to me as a rental car - and I'm sure a Nikon shooter would feel exactly the same picking up a Canon ... but with a few days to get used to it, I'm sure each would feel the same about the other.

Real Name
    Richard

I agree with Colin but, also I think that he will agree with me. For me, the ergonomics of the Canon Rebel line of DSLR cameras are absolutely frustrating. I don't like the control system or the placement of the various control buttons.

As an example, many of the camera parameters on a Rebel are set with the menu while the xxD (10D through 50D and 7D) models have two dials which can be used to select the parameters. The Rebel line is also missing a top LCD which I am continually using to check my camera settings.

When I shot with a Canon Rebel XT (350D) my right thumb would frequently hit the drive control button which is situated at the rear of the camera. I would press the shutter button and the self-timer would start cooking off. I would say to myself, "Oh, Darn I did it again". In fact my statement would often be a bit stronger than "Oh Darn" especially if ladies were not present. I added a battery grip and then a Delkin LCD protector to try and mitigate the problem. But nothing short of cutting off my thumb or buying a 30D would solve the problem. Luckily, I decided that purchasing a 30D was the least drastic of the two solutions. I now shoot with a 30D and a 40D.

I know that I would prefer the 1D series of Canon cameras but, they are quite heavy and I like carrying two cameras. I am afraid that a pair of 1D series cameras would be a bit heavy ofr me. Especially after a pair of total knee replacements and a spinal fusion.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I agree with Colin but, also I think that he will agree with me. For me, the ergonomics of the Canon Rebel line of DSLR cameras are absolutely frustrating. I don't like the control system or the placement of the various control buttons.
    Hi Richard,

I certainly do agree. BTW, that's why I said "between similar models of different brands" as I believe the entry-level Nikon suffers the same fate (although I could be wrong - a Nikonian might like to comment on that).

Hi

As mentioned above you need to have a feel of both and see which you find comfortable to handle. One point h i i would add, having just realised that myself, go for a slightly bigger body [entry level plus model] than you think is required now. Assuming you will continue photography, in future you have to option of adding larger/ heavier lenses. A bigger body will support the lens weight.

Hope that helps.

Raj

Since the OP asked a fairly straightforward question, my fairly straightforward answer is that it doesn't matter (perhaps we could steer him/her to another brand, but the question was specific).

Both brands are excellent, both have great lenses, and third party lenses are available for both.

Choose the brand that you like. But try them out at a dealer - don't guess which to buy from website advertising.

Glenn

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    Choose the brand that you like. But try them out at a dealer - don't guess which to buy from website advertising.
    Agreed. If one DOES buy from a website though, for heavens sake do one's homework, as there are many out there who will literally "take the money and run". If in doubt, B&H Photo Video or Adorama are always trusted sources.

Real Name
    Richard

The person who is interested in purchasing their first DSLR camera, often doesn't understand the parameters of the different brands and the different models within each brand. In fact, even an experienced photographer might be surprised at the differences between models within brands.

Colin pointed out to me that while my Canon 40D has a three exposure Auto Exposure Bracketing capability, the canon 1D models have a 3, 5 or 7 shot AEB capability. Would that be enough to convince me to but a 1D (series) camera? I think not, but it is just one great difference between the "professional" models and the prosumer models of Canon DSLR cameras.

I have not paid much attention to Nikon gear since I am firmly established within the Canon community. Buying a certain manufacturer's camera. lenses and accessories is like marrying into a family. You may or may not like your in-laws, but you are stuck with them unless you are ready to initiate some costly lifestyle (and photo gear) changes.

Recently, I was reviewing some information on AEB with Nikon D40, D40x and D60 cameras. While on a photo group of a Dog Internet site to which I belong; I had caverlierly stated that, "My 40D has a three exposure AEB capability and I assume that Nikon cameras also have this or even better capability." A member of the group asked me how to access AEB burst shooting on her Nikon D40. I looked the D40 manual on the Internet (what a great source of information) and could not find AEB. A more comprehensive search of Nikon sites indicates that Nikon has deleted AEB from their basic DSLR cameras such as the D40, D40x and D60.

Additionally, I learned that these cameras need to use specific Nikon lenses for auto exposure capability. I was a little bit surprised and thought that this lens selection requirement and the lack of AEB might be a reason for me to recommend an entry level Canon over an entry level Nikon. However, perhaps the entry level Nikon DSLR cameras might have advantages over the entry level Nikons in other areas.

I have not used any Nikon cameras except for an old Coolpix model. I personally like the x0D Canon cameras because thay are mid-range in both price and capabilities. They provide very-good to excellent image quality and I enjoy using them; primarily because of the controls system. My brother-in-law is a carpenter and his advice regarding tools sort of echoes my feelings about cameras. He advises non-professionals never to buy the lowest grade tools but, also (unless they are very well-off financilally) not the buy the absolute highest grade tools either. Mid-grade tools satisfy the occasional woodworker, home repair person's needs quite well.

However, I have looked at the specifications of the new Canon 60D and I am not impressed one bit. However, these are my personal criteria based on years of shooting a DSLR. I will either keep shooting with my 30D and 40D cameras or I will sell the 30D and buy a 7D. I doubt if a newbie buyer could make an informed decision like that.

As an addendum to Colin's comment about B&H and Adorama which are extremely reputable and reliable, I have had great satisfaction from 17th Street Camera in New York City. Paul, of that company, has personally helped me when selecting some photo gear.

However, I would avoid sellers from Brooklyn, New York and Eastern Europe like the plague. I am sure that there are legitimate sellers in those areas. But, I am also sure that I just saw a herd of pigs flying over my house.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 29th October 2010 at 05:25 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Richard,

Yes that thing with the lower end Nikon's needing the latest AF-S lenses for AF and in some cases metering is a pain - like discovering one of the new in-laws has a bad habit

That said, there is a reasonable selection of lenses available, but the better ones are very expensive and it rules out buying s/h. It affects everything upto and including the D5000 I have, not sure about the D7000 due out in a few weeks. The D70/80/90 and above are more versatile though, but if you can afford those new, a new lens isn't going to be a problem.

The D5000 has AEB, not sure about the D3000 (probably not) or D3100 (probably has).

You're dead right about the new photographer not knowing the ins and outs of ranges, that's why it is SO important they come here and ask us.

Talking about the imminent release of the D7000, have a look at Scott Kelby's blog entry Do not watch this video…, but before you are tempted to watch the video anyway, you must read, and be guided by Scott's bad language warning - it really does contain some (understatement) plus Hitler, but it is funny.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th October 2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: increased warning

Real Name
    Richard

I thought that the Hitler/Nikon video was quite well done and extremely funny (but, then I am a Canon guy). However, I am not a prude but I don't think the four letter words improved the humor at all... I think that if he used damn and damned and what the hell? It would have been equally funny...

Real Name

Quick question for the film buffs -- what movie was that taken from?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I thought that the Hitler/Nikon video was quite well done and extremely funny (but, then I am a Canon guy). However, I am not a prude but I don't think the four letter words improved the humor at all... I think that if he used damn and damned and what the hell? It would have been equally funny...
    Actually I think it's even funnier if you have previously waited for a Nikon release that happened on time and were not waiting this time

Can't remember the film's name, but I think I've seen it (or one with the same subject). The chap playing Hitler deserves an oscar for a believable performance, at least to my eyes and relying on subtitles.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Quick question for the film buffs -- what movie was that taken from?
    Hi Colin,

The movie is Downfall (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/downfall/), the actor Bruno Ganz. Great film.

As to the video, that could be me, railing against Adobe for not having the RAW code for my Canon, with fewer cuss words, of course .

Janis

Real Name
    Terry

Hi there Gereen!

I’ve seen this question on here time and again and I’ve seen the responses that these learned shooters give for this.

They are right on the money, of course, but I’d like to add a word or two. This is one thing that certainly influenced my decision as to whether to go Canon or Nikon and I’ve not really seen this mentioned when this question arises.

In researching these two brand names, I found that the Canon line, in the long run, is going to be less hard on the ole budget. Now I’m not taking into consideration here any third party products. But Canon’s glass and accessories are generally less expensive. Especially their glass. And even their top-drawer products. I own one of Canon’s high end lenses and as I was researching it, I found that had I gone Nikon and their equivalent, it would have set me back around $500 USD more. This was about a 25% difference in the overall prices of the two and I have found that this is generally the case when you compare the two lines.

When I was trying to make the decision you are trying to make, after all was said and done, that was a pretty huge deciding factor for me. I knew I would expand over time, and when you are talking about a two digit percentage savings, even on the top end stuff, it adds up quick.

Real Name
    Paul

First off, I must say this is the most civilized Canon vs Nikon debate I have come across. Well done!
    After a lengthy lay-off from SLRs in the 80s and 90s, I entered the digital age with the Canon Powershot Pro AS90 just over a decade ago.
    When DSLRs became affordable to me (around 2003), I bought a Canon 300D with 2 lenses (kit lens plus a cheap 70-200, IINM) and quite liked the set, if only because there was nothing else to compare with that I could afford.
    Then a friend persuade me to try his Nikon D70 and I was immediately hooked. That felt like a camera should, and all the controls felt so much more intuitive. Plus, the 18-70 kit lens felt so much better built than the plasticky Canon toy that I had. I sold off my 300D within days (thanks to the advent of internet forums and advertising) and have been on Nikon side ever since. And the cheap Nikon 70-300 was cheaper and no more crappy than the Canon 70-200.
    My take on the Big Two is that both have nice stuff and also cheap stuff. But the Canon cheap stuff feel really cheap while Nikon seem to offer a better grade of plastic. Since the 18-70, Nikon have had their share of toyish offerings, though.
    IMHO, when taking the first step, it is important to feel comfortable with the camera cos you could end up married with the family.
    I am now very happy with my D3s and trio of f2.8 zooms.