Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Just for Donald

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Just for Donald

.. all Francophiles, and wine lovers.
    Mercurey, Cote Chalonnaise, Burgundy - and I can see my vines!!

Just for Donald

D2Xs, Nikkor 24-85
    Click to enlarge

Real Name
    David

Re: Just for Donald

Mike - I knew instantly that this was a shot from France - nobody working.

I like the way the hills roll down and up with the roads acting like contour lines. Also, this is a good example of how to use roads to take the eye through the image.

I've just looked more closely and still no sign of anyone actually working - definitely France.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Steve

I think there is use of dof to make the background softer, and this creates an illusion of 3D and a dreamy image. I haven't got any vines but I definitely like wine and I can't see any burning cars.

Might do round here soon though.

Real Name
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

I've just looked more closely and still no sign of anyone actually working - definitely France.

Cheers

David
    You are right david, In UK one of your national sport is Rugby. In france, it became STRIKE, lol

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    David
    Ouch!! Not good for International relations eh.
    If you look carefully, just under the bluff top right, you can see a little red tractor. The rest of the population are gainfully employed, hosting tastings, and loading the Brit's cars with all too expensive wines! Nice though!!

Real Name
    Steve

What size is the photo; I can't see a red anything. I can only get 700 pixel.

I read that you was surveyor; I knew a surveyor who bragged about getting £1,500 per hour not doing surveys, but going down the council and pulling old ones, so you must have a decent camera.

I didn't read all of it because it is not my thing, so if you already mentioned camera type, I apologise. It would be nice to see a bigger image, I like 1600 pixel but the bigger the better.

Nice picture, but I would like to see it bigger.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

... and he is very honoured and grateful.

Aaahh ... next June!

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    ...but I would like to see it bigger.
    Click on image and it should open to 1000px, then strain your eyes and you might just see a tractor ... on the other hand it may have finished work by now!

Real Name
    Richard

Can't be France.. There are no cars or trash-bins burning!

Seriously, Ilike this shot quite a bit although I just might prefer a tad cropped off the sky...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    .. all Francophiles, and wine lovers.
    Mercurey, Cote Chalonnaise, Burgundy - and I can see my vines!!

Just for Donald

D2Xs, Nikkor 24-85
    Click to enlarge
    When it matters most, make mine Malbec.

Real Name
    Raylee

Nice shot Mike. I like the texture in the foreground and as David said the leading lines. This photo gives me a feeling of tranquility.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    When it matters most, make mine Malbec.
    You won't find any of that here. You need to head south west to the Lot Valley and, particularly, the Cahors AOC area. This is the home of Auxerrois, the grape variety that changed its name to Malbec when it was taken 'across the pond' to Argentina.

It provides a fascinating study in the power of market forces. Such was the success Argentina had with the grape that the vignerons of France eventually realised that nobody had a clue what was produced in Cahors and new even less about this thing called Auxerrois, all whilst they watched the growing success of Argentinian Malbec. Eventually they succumbed to pressure, threw away hundreds of years of tradition, adopted the name 'Malbec' and, sin upon sin for France, even allowed the name of the grape variety to be used on the label of the bottle.

Nothing to do with photography, but a story that might interest some people.
    Last edited by Donald; 21st October 2010 at 07:28 AM.

Real Name
    David

Donald - another fan of the wines of Cahors! So, there are at least two of us. I agree the history of the "black wine" of Cahors and its grape variety is a story every oenophile should know, and I agree that shame on the French for capitulating - not like them at all. Much of the best Cahors never makes it out of the region as production is usually too small. Other vinyards produce co-operative blends - sometimes good, but variable by the year.

Now I'm going to have to get the scanner out again and my photos from the Pont Valentre.

Sante

David

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    You won't find any of that here. You need to head south west to the Lot Valley and, particularly, the Cahors AOC area. This is the home of Auxerrois, the grape variety that changed its name to Malbec when it was taken 'across the pond' to Argentina.

It provides a fascinating study in the power of market forces. Such was the success Argentina had with the grape that the vignerons of France eventually realised that nobody had a clue what was produced in Cahors and new even less about this thing called Auxerrois, all whilst they watched the growing success of Argentinian Malbec. Eventually they succumbed to pressure, threw away hundreds of years of tradition, adopted the name 'Malbec' and, sin upon sin for France, even allowed the name of the grape variety to be used on the label of the bottle.

Very interesting indeed, I subscribe to a magazine called Wine Enthusiast and Malbec is mentioned in almost every issue. The Malbecs and Shiraz has only recently gained popularity here in the U.S., last years favorite was the pinot grigio. And there is something similar to photography with the grape, a long stretch by any means, but you start out with a vision and use your skills to produce a harvest of goodies.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    This photo gives me a feeling of tranquility.
    Strange that, I had a great feeling of tranquillity when I took it. Well that's what I called it, and I'm not changing my story now!!

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post

Thanks for that, it was interesting. Although I have gone off French wines because they frequently have way too much sulphite in them and that plays havoc with my stomach.

(nice shot of the vineyards Mike)

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
    Thanks for that, it was interesting. Although I have gone off French wines because they frequently have way too much sulphite in them and that plays havoc with my stomach.

(nice shot of the vineyards Mike)
    and one less bottle of French wine a week = 1Ds camera in a couple of months. I will never pay more than £20 for a bottle of wine and usually a lot less than that; but I heard from a London taxi driver that not only do bankers finish work at midday, but they are not unaccustomed to spending thousands on a bottle of wine.