Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Thinking about buying some lights

Real Name
    Raylee

Thinking about buying some lights

I'd like to buy some lights for using at home with my light tent. I don't know anything about lighting at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've seen this:

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=70885

Any opinions? Is this a good starting point? I'd be using it for close-up and macro work.

Thanks

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Thinking about buying some lights

If you have the money, yes - probably - although it is very vague about the "globes" - what type, what wattage, etc.

You can probably get the tent thing for < $50 then just add some goose neck or anglepoise desk lamps on the table (if a bit bigger) - will be much cheaper.

I can see that I'll soon run out of PAD ideas, so one of my later ones might be a shot of my set up.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    If you have the money, yes - probably - although it is very vague about the "globes" - what type, what wattage, etc.

You can probably get the tent thing for < $50 then just add some goose neck or anglepoise desk lamps on the table (if a bit bigger) - will be much cheaper.

I can see that I'll soon run out of PAD ideas, so one of my later ones might be a shot of my set up.
    I have tried some desk lamps, Dave, but I've found the halogen globes not strong enough. And I don't like the colour of the light. My problem at home is if I want to take photos at night, the overhead lights cast too many shadows. So I was thinking of reasonably powerful lights to drown out the unwanted shadows. During the day, I have a corner of north facing windows for fairly even light and I use the tripod.

What sort of globes and wattage would be a minimum starting point?

How can you run out of PAD ideas when you live in an exotic location?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    I have tried some desk lamps, Dave, but I've found the halogen globes not strong enough. And I don't like the colour of the light. My problem at home is if I want to take photos at night, the overhead lights cast too many shadows. So I was thinking of reasonably powerful lights to drown out the unwanted shadows. During the day, I have a corner of north facing windows for fairly even light and I use the tripod.

What sort of globes and wattage would be a minimum starting point?

How can you run out of PAD ideas when you live in an exotic location?
    Hi Raylee,

Well I use 30 and 60W, mostly 30 to avoid 'grilling' the side of the tent

If the main room lights are a pain at night is it possible to turn them off while shooting?
    I know the problem, I have to do that and turn off the wall lights behind me because they reflect in shiny things.

The colour of the light is going to corrected to neutral when you WB in PP from the Whi-Bal or grey card, so that shouldn't be an issue as long as all lamps are the same 'technology'. i.e. all Halogen, all (plain) Tungsten, or even all compact fluorescent.

You're right of course, but Aus' sounds more 'exotic' than Windsor, UK to me

Cheers,

Real Name
    Jim

Here's a site you might want to look at.
    http://www.skaeser.com/servlet/Categ...ING:LIGHT+TENT

I've bought a good bit of lighting equipment from here.
    Prices are very reasonable and the equipment is of good quality.

Do a search for BlueMax daylight bulbs.I have used them with my light tent and get excellent results.I use the 100w bulbs.
    Last edited by Jim B.; 11th October 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Here's a site you might want to look at.
    http://www.skaeser.com/servlet/Categ...ING:LIGHT+TENT

I've bought a good bit of lighting equipment from here.
    Prices are very reasonable and the equipment is of good quality.

Do a search for BlueMax daylight bulbs.I have used them with my light tent and get excellent results.I use the 100w bulbs.
    Thanks Jim.

Raylee

Remember you can always use your flash gun to drown out the unwanted. I quite often fire the flash through the side of the tent (on low setting) and fill with a pair of 50 watt daylight bulbs (they came with the light tent). Another less direct way is to bounce the flash directly off of the ceiling to overcome unwanted bleed light. Again the 2 50w lamps are used for creative lighting. If you want a flat flooded effect say for product photography wou may need Jim's solution but you can still used your flash gun/s to good effect

Steve

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Raylee

Remember you can always use your flash gun to drown out the unwanted. I quite often fire the flash through the side of the tent (on low setting) and fill with a pair of 50 watt daylight bulbs (they came with the light tent). Another less direct way is to bounce the flash directly off of the ceiling to overcome unwanted bleed light. Again the 2 50w lamps are used for creative lighting. If you want a flat flooded effect say for product photography wou may need Jim's solution but you can still used your flash gun/s to good effect

Steve
    Thanks Steve. It looks like I should do some experimenting before I spend the money. Much appreciated.