Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Chen family temple

Real Name
    Richard

Chen family temple

It was almost like shooting people. These wonderful life size bronze statues are located in the Chen Family Ancestral Temple, Guangzhou, China. The Chen temple was funded by members of the Chen Family throughout China and from contributions by overseas Chen Family members. The sign says "No Visiting" which in "Chinglish" means keep off the exhibit...

Chen family temple

In addition to being a family memorial, the temple also functioned as an academy where Chen Family members could study for the Imperial Examinations prior to China becoming a republic. The day was dreary with a constant drizzle. However, the conditions added to the beauty and made photography easy because I was not faced with harsh shadows. My flash helped add a touch of light to the bronze images...

Chen family temple

I am told that the Chen Temple is a traditional meeting place for young lovers who take advantage of the relatively quiet atmosphere; which is something unusual in crowded China...

Chen family temple

I made good use of the Kata Raincover I brought to China. Although I always carry OPTECH Rainsleeves, the Kata is a lot more sturdy. In addition to the wonderful life size bronze statues, The Chen Temple includes some extremely intricate and beautiful wall carvings.

Chen family temple

The architecture is in the Imperial Style and this is one of the few places in China where I was not in the midst of crowds of people…

Chen family temple

Perhaps the lack of people was due to the rainy weather. But, it was quite relaxing and the covered walkways sheltered visitors from the rain...

Chen family temple

However, I couldn’t shoot any area without including some human studies. This smiling chestnut vendor sells his delicious wares just outside the temple. They smell wonderful, especially in the cool moist atmosphere…

Chen family temple

This artist carves lucky charms and sells them to tourists at the temple gate…

Chen family temple
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 8th October 2010 at 03:16 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Chen family temple

I like the Chen family Temple, there must be more to it than what is displayed. They seem to be enjoying a happy time in their lives.

The bush overwhelms the 6rh photograph, especially after you presented the ornate overhang so well.

The other images with people included are a must for capturing the vibrancy of another city.

Real Name
    Kay

Re: Chen family temple

Thank you again Richard!
    I look forward each day to seeing what you have for us and am enjoying them all very much.