Thread: Tamron wide angle zoom

Real Name
    George

Tamron wide angle zoom

Does anybody owns the Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD for Nikon and can he/she tell me how it is?

George

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Tamron wide angle zoom

Whilst I do not own one it's a lens I have recently looked at as I'm considering a fast WA for star trail photography.

My concern was that it has no filter thread which would restrict its use for me with existing filter systems I use for sea/landscape work.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Whilst I do not own one it's a lens I have recently looked at as I'm considering a fast WA for star trail photography.

My concern was that it has no filter thread which would restrict its use for me with existing filter systems I use for sea/landscape work.
    That bulgy glass is one of my concerns too. Not for the filter issue, but for walking around. I believe that's a problem with all the wa lenses. This afternoon I was in the shop and made some pictures. They looked ok. Have to ask somebody else to look at.

George

Real Name
    Richard

I don't own the Tamron but, shoot with a 12-24mm Tokina ATX F/4 crop sensor lens which I really like. If I were you, I might schedule the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro FX Lens into the hunt for a UWA full frame lens. At under $600 US Dollars at B&H, it is less expensive than the Tamron. I cannot make any recommendations as to which lens would be better.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th April 2017 at 12:29 AM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    That bulgy glass is one of my concerns too. Not for the filter issue, but for walking around. I believe that's a problem with all the wa lenses.
    Seriously George do NOT fret (worry) about that.

Just be careful and use the lens cap when carrying the camera and get into the habit of putting the lens cap on when you have finished making photos.

As you know I have just bought a Samyang 14mm, but I have a couple of Fisheye Lenses for my 135 Kit and I have a 35mm F/4.5 Fisheye for my Pentax 6x7 kit, (this one has a scratch on the front element) - but although disappointing, even emotionally upsetting, it is unlikely that any small scratch on the front element (that hopefully you will never get), will affect the IQ of the lens anyway.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

George - I have dragged my Nikkor f/2.8 14-24mm lens all over the world; Western countries and developing countries. It does not take a filter and it does have a large "bulgy" as you put it, front element and does not take a filter.

It's a bit harder to clean than having a lens with a filter mounted, but to be quite honest, it really hasn't affected how or what I shoot at all. As Bill says "do NOT fret (worry) about that".

Real Name
    George

It's like the 14-24 of Nikon, just a little bit heavier but €700 cheaper, here in Holland. The extra 6mm on the long end makes it more interesting for walking around. The 1 mm on the short hand I won't miss.
    When I've an explanation why the VR was on and off in the pictures I took while I'm not aware I did change it, then I'll get it.

George

Real Name
    George

I bought it. A few quick ones.

Tamron wide angle zoom

Tamron wide angle zoom

Tamron wide angle zoom

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Enjoy your new lens, George. I've always been a fan of ultra-wide angle lenses for a very long time.

In my view, they are the hardest lenses to use well, but once you have mastered them, the images you can get with them are simply stunning.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I think you will have a lot of fun with your new lens - enjoy it,

Corona seems so out of place, listed with Duvel; Kriek; and Amstel . . . the Corona may be for the tourists?

WW

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I think you will have a lot of fun with your new lens - enjoy it,

Corona seems so out of place, listed with Duvel; Kriek; and Amstel . . . the Corona may be for the tourists?

WW
    I don't drink it. But I think tourists mostly drink Dutch beer, and when they know something about beer also Belgian beer. I think Corona is more for the Dutch yup. And there're a lot of them nowadays.
    I didn't resize the pictures so you could see them full size, which you did And they where shot out of hand. Maybe I'll redo the pub pictures again with a tripod.
    A couple of years ago Bill Clinton was here for a drink and a piece of apple cake.

George

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . . I think tourists mostly drink Dutch beer, and when they know something about beer also Belgian beer.
    Sensible tourists.

I think Corona is more for the Dutch yup. And there're a lot of them nowadays.
    Yuppies are universally inexperienced in all matters, including beer.

I didn't resize the pictures so you could see them full size, which you did And they where shot out of hand.
    The pictures were fine (good). They showed the lens’s ability and captured some of your city's environs. It seems very good lens. I especially enjoyed the pub picture. It brings back fond memories of my travels - and the beer.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I believe Corona (or at least the brewery that produces it) is part of the AB InDev conglomerate, which is based in Leuven, Belgium. So technically it has a strong Belgian connection.

Real Name
    Erik

I bought it. A few quick ones.

Tamron wide angle zoom

Tamron wide angle zoom

Tamron wide angle zoom

George
    Been there too....Apple Pie was out of this world.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigE View Post
    Been there too....Apple Pie was out of this world.
    Bill Clinton bought a piece to take away. For his wife?

I didn't know Corona was Belgium owned. Maybe that's why it's sold in Holland. Using the existing routes.

George

Real Name
    Dan

InBev has something like 200 brands at this time. I believe Corona was one of the first. Be that as it may, it certainly isn't a Dutch or Belgian beer in any sense related to taste. For anyone who likes Belgian beers and happens to be visiting on this side of the pond: excellent Belgian-style beers are made in the US now by small breweries. In fact, I just bought some this morning, some made by Trappist monks in Massachusetts, and the rest made in Maine.

Of topic, I know. Sorry.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    InBev has something like 200 brands at this time. I believe Corona was one of the first. Be that as it may, it certainly isn't a Dutch or Belgian beer in any sense related to taste. For anyone who likes Belgian beers and happens to be visiting on this side of the pond: excellent Belgian-style beers are made in the US now by small breweries. In fact, I just bought some this morning, some made by Trappist monks in Massachusetts, and the rest made in Maine.

Of topic, I know. Sorry.
    For me Corona is a Mexican beer.
    You must distinguish between "normal" beer and "special" beer. Normal beer is the beer sold in pubs, you can drink it all evening and has a percentage of around 5%. Special beers are mostly stronger, you won't make the end of the evening. Special beers are a market. This is an Amsterdam brewery http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/columbus/?lang=en
    More and more popular is becoming alcohol free beer.

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Normal beer is the beer sold in pubs, you can drink it all evening and has a percentage of around 5%.
    The bottle of Corona in my refrigerator says the alcohol content is 4.6%. And I agree, it is a Mexican beer, regardless of who owns the brewery.