Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My REAL photos....

My REAL photos....

Okay, before now, I've been only posting "practice" shots. These are shots that I was more invested in. I'm interested to know what you think about composition, color and exposure but anything else that strikes you - I'd love to know. There's a slew of photos here. I won't always do this, at all. I'm just really wondering what you think..... testing the waters..... Just pick a photo or overall or whatever....

This first one was from about a month ago when I was just still experimenting with the exposure triangle - hence, shallow depth of field and the car was my tripod. However, I've reworked it to the best of my ability.

My REAL photos....

This next one was, also, from a while ago and was just hand held with the landscape setting. I was wondering about the composition - is this okay? I'm sure that you guys would know how to rework this beautifully in photoshop - (I'm thinking of how Dave brought out the rays, in my last landscape...) However, I'm wondering, is it too purple?

My REAL photos....

These next two, well, I like them a lot but I wouldn't hang them on my wall... What do you think about the color, composition, exposure - I just did these a couple of days ago. What do you think that I can't think to ask?

My REAL photos....

My REAL photos....

Then, what do you think about this style of photography??? I really need to ask, because, ummmm, ummmmm, this is what I really like to shoot!!!

My REAL photos....

My REAL photos....

My REAL photos....

My REAL photos....

My REAL photos....

My REAL photos....

My REAL photos....
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 30th September 2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: pressed publish before I was done. duh

Real Name
    Gareth

Re: My REAL photos....

Hi Katy

I think these are fantastic shots!!

All I can think of in the way of improvements are :

#1 - increase the greens a little. Is it possible to photoshop an object into the left hand foreground (like a picnic bench) to stop the trees presenting such a large block of green?

#2 - using Fill In on the foreground to lighten them up a bit

#3&4 - beautiful colours!! (I'm jealous the trees around my way don't turn those colours). Are they leaves on the water surface?

#5-8 - absolutely gorgeous!! The best of all of them
    maybe you could convert the barn window to b&w to see how it looks

all in all, a terrific set of pictures. Well done!!

Real Name
    Tim

I also love those colours on 3 and 4

Thanks, Gareth!

I added 3 more photos, btw. It's an awful lot.

Alas, no photoshop! I cannot wait to try the 30 day trial but am waiting a few weeks until I have time to really sit down and figure it out.

Okay, those foregrounds are still too shadowy. I can't figure out how to do that in iphoto - maybe now that I know how to use evaluative metering, I possibly won't have that problem as much???

#1 - increase the greens a little. Is it possible to photoshop an object into the left hand foreground (like a picnic bench) to stop the trees presenting such a large block of green?
    #2 - using Fill In on the foreground to lighten them up a bit
    In which photo? - All of them???

You know, I'd thought that about the barn window being B&W or just blanching the color a bit - I like the green moss - it's almost monochromatic. I'll have to try that later, Right now, I have GOT to get some housework done - oi!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 30th September 2010 at 06:54 PM.

Real Name
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    You know, I'd thought that about the barn window being B&W or just blanching the color a bit - I like the green moss - it's almost monochromatic
    I wonder if it's possible to make everything in the pic EXCEPT the moss b&w. so you keep only the green in the picture. hmmmmm.

Oh, and yes, get cracking with the housework...that living room looks a right state

My REAL photos....

I think that maybe I've figured this out a little bit. I was desperately hanging on to the reflection of the trees but this crop is perhaps clearer.

I don't know, though, Something about the jewel tones of the water is lost...

Really, really, I'm an easy going person.... just a desperate perfectionist - that's all!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 30th September 2010 at 03:17 PM.

Real Name
    David

Hi Katy - For me #4 stands out above the rest for composition, colour and clarity.

Here's my lowdown onthe rest:
    #1 too much tree on LHS, not enough light;
    #2 sky highlights blown;
    #3 better image with good colour, re-formatted maybe, not sure;
    #4 best of the lot, but possibly a shave off the top to give the water line nearer the upper third, possibly a tad of perspective correction or rotation to give horizontal water line;
    #5 potentially good, but get rid of plant at the bottom and increase sharpening selectively to bring out the texture of the wood;
    #6 focus issue, crop to the maple leaf and some blue flowers;
    #7 path at the top seems redundant, crop to apples and lantern;
    #8 as per #6;
    #9 shallow depth of field has made the feather blurred, otherwise an interesting shot with rhythm in the various curves (nest, egg, plate)
    #10 focus, depth of field, not too much can be done here
    #11same as #10, but I can see the idea behind it, need to use a macro mode or several shallow images combined to build up and concentrate on the green foliage .

Sorry if some of these points appear a bit brutal, but they're not meant that way. It's just that there is so much to go at when you present a large number of images. I could write a substantial post on each.

Cheers

David

Hi, David!

thank you, this is really helpful. I don't think that I can respond to each of these because it will give everyone a headache. I'm sure that I'll have another chance at them, though. Just looking at these makes me realize how painfully fast I'm growing (are we there, yet??? sigh. ) The nest and the pot were the first week that I'd gotten the camera and I had JUST learned how to auto focus. (i.e. first pic auto focused =])

I like #4 the best too. I wish that I could have walked on water to get the photo. I've been having a hard time figuring out how to get the horizon in a better place. I have to let go of something - the patch of fog, then? I'll try it. Judging by people's reaction to the color, though, here and elsewhere, it must be believable - that's what it's like but - I don't know, it's shocking to have a real photo of it, if you know what I mean.

Somehow, I'm having a weird ol' time moving forward with the window, emotionally. Yeah, the bit of plant bothered me, too. Actually, I wonder if it's gotten taller - it's been a couple of weeks.

The apples were hand held.... more of a "break the ice, here" type of thing. I totally agree with your points.

Just, your comment on #7 - I took the view you mentioned but there's something about the feel of "outside" into shelter that I love about that shot and just can't seem to get away from.

Well, I got - understood - appreciate your other points, thanks! This is SUPER helpful!!!

Please - hack away!!! Anyone else?

Real Name
    Steve

I'm no good at critique because I think what the hell do I know. I think they are all fantastic.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I'm no good at critique because I think what the hell do I know. I think they are all fantastic.
    & Steve for my money - your wee positive encouragements are the icing on the cake to go with what others say in their critique

They give me a smile and a wee nudge to keep trying and I'm sure they do the same for Katy.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post

Then, what do you think about this style of photography??? I really need to ask, because, ummmm, ummmmm, this is what I really like to shoot!!!

My REAL photos....

Hi Katy - Very Nice work for all
    On this 1 I would not have the green at the bottom possible crop up to last horizontal board & maybe shoot from an angle rather than straight on maybe give it a bit of mystery - but best advice, is if this & the others are what you really like to shoot - then stick with that 1 subject/style & you will improve heaps b4 you know it

Real Name
    Gareth

i completely agree with kay. If this is what moves your heart, and drives you to take photographs, then this is the best subject for you to work with. You will improve enormously in the coming months, and I am really looking forward to see your work blossom even more than it does already