Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Road Trip

Real Name
    Grant

Road Trip

I had to take a trip to Mt Isa (about 2500km) a couple of weeks ago so I took the opportunity to get a few photos. Here is the route:

Road Trip

First stop The Lynd Junction for some petrol - big mistake as you will see later. Took the opportunity to photograph a road train. This one is just a tiddler further west they have 7 trailers. Pretty exciting when you get stuck behind one doing 100km/hr on a dirt road.

Road Trip

100Km south of the Lynd, in the middle of nowhere the car developed a rather interesting cough before finally spluttering to a halt. Whilst figuring out how long it would take me to walk 150km to the next town I decided to pass the time with a few sunset photos.

Road Trip

Progressing resolutely forward in 10km increments punctuated with much coughing, dying and general engine mayhem I finally made it to the next town. The following day, Spiros, the only mechanic, was lured out of his oily warren to announce "Jeez Mate, these Jap cars are real crap to work on. I'm gonna have to pull the entire insides out just to get to the fuel filter. You're gonna be here for loooong time." No, Spiros, I reckon I got some water in the fuel at the last stop. They have had a fair bit of rain up north. Can't you just put some gunk on the tank that will solve the problem. With great reluctance the only bottle of water absorbing gunk was finally found and we departed with Spiros's words ringing in my ears. "You'll be lucky to get 5 km"

No further problems except for:
    Whoa, heey, sheeeeesh! - Wow - just missed.

Road Trip

Mt Isa, surprisingly, has some dramatic scenery.

Road Trip

On to Lawn Hill Gorge. The rivers here are fed by a huge limestone aquifer. The water is clear, deep and flows over dozens of tufa waterfalls.

Road Trip

Early morning at Lawn Hill Gorge

Road Trip

Picnic lunch in the outback

Road Trip

Finally made it to Karumba, a prawning town on the Gulf. Dinner at the Sunser Bar. Pretty interesting for we east coasters as we never have to opportunity to see the sun set over the sea.

Road Trip

Grant

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Road Trip

That's a really good trip and some great photo's Grant. I really like the top early morning shot at the lake. I used to be a truck driver and are a bit confused as to how they hook up road trains, we only pull one trailer here.

Real Name
    Wendy

Looks like an interesting trip. I sure am glad you mangaed to get your care to take you to the next town. That does not look like a nice walking area.

I really like the shots of Lawn Hill Gorge and Mt Isa, the picnic in the outback looks pretty interesting too. Do many travellers pass by. It really is an isolated barren looking place. I guess there must be a bit of travel going on though or they would not have put up the picnic area.

Wendy

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Grant,

Great trip and great country. I see you managed to get the first canoe out on Lawn Hill Gorge. I just love that place and would go back tomorrow.

Like the shots.

Real Name
    Kay

The early morning at the Gorge are stunning Grant!

Real Name
    John

Great travelogue and photos!

Real Name
    Grant

Thank you all for your kind comments.
    Sorry, Arith, I have no idea how they hook up the road trains. I generally try to stay well clear of them. When you get behind one with 7 double decker cattle wagons in tow racing down a dusty outback road at 120km/hr, as I have seen in Central Australia, it does not pay to get up close enough to inspect.

As for passer-by Wendy there are more nowadays due to the influx of "grey nomads". Don't know if you have them in Canada. They are retired people who buy a big 4WD and huge caravan with AirCon, en suite and all the mod cons and just travel around the country, sometimes for several years. They get into all the out of way places.

Peter, I managed to get the first canoe, also. I think it may have been you that recommended it. But it was pretty quiet when I was there and I had the place to myself. Got some good bird shots, too. Sarus Crane, Brolga, Spoonbills and a nesting Bower Bird. I will try to put some on the bird thread.

Grant