Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monopod

Real Name
    Paul David

Monopod

Does anyone use a monopod and if so what are the advantages over a tripod other than size? I received one as a gift and am trying to figure out a use for it.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Monopod

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Does anyone use a monopod and if so what are the advantages over a tripod other than size? I received one as a gift and am trying to figure out a use for it.
    less appendages to scare beasties, quicker to get to height.

Real Name
    Dan

I use one often. It's a standard part of my kit for bug macros because bugs generally don't leave me time for setting up a tripod. I take it when I am walking in bird sancturaries and the like with a long lens because it is far easier than handholding and allows slower shutter speeds, while taking less time to set up and less space than a tripod. It's somewhat lighter, although in my case, less than one might think because of the heads. My monopod and tripod are both Oben (B&H store brand) carbon fiber, so quite light. However, I have relatively light ball head (Markins) on the tripod and a relatively heavy tilt head (Kirk) on the monopod, so the difference in the end is only 660 g, or a bit less than a 1.5 pounds. I use the Kirk head for two reasons: to have an arca-swiss quick release, and because the tilt is very useful for macro. If you make do without a tilt head or buy a lighter (and cheaper) one that isn't arca-swiss, the weight difference would be greater.

Real Name
    Tom

I use one with my birding long lens. A monopod needs to be hefty and long -- mine can go taller than I am, which is appropriate because you use it as the third, forward-leaning, leg of a virtual tripod, with your legs being the other two. What makes it good is that you can use the monopod as a walking stick while hiking to the birding site; it is easy to maneuver around when you are trying to track moving objects; it provides some improvement in stability while shooting; and it will support your heavy lens for extended periods if you are waiting for a critter to show itself at an opening. I never take a tripod into the field -- it's just too much of a pain. But I wouldn't be without a good monopod when using a long lens. FWIW

Real Name
    James Edwards

+1 to all the previous replies. Apart from its use for insect macro, I also use one to steady my long lens (600mm) when following wildlife around.

I also find it useful where a tripod is often not allowed. I photograph a lot of Stained Glass, and often it is not possible to set up a tripod, but the 'authorities' in churches, museums etc usually allow me to use the monopod.... Last time in fact was at the Oxford Museum of Natural History, and the response was " Oh we don't have a policy on Monopods.... eerm.... OK I suppose it's ok......"

Real Name
    Dan

I also use one from time to time. Did so more when I still had my Nikon 200-400 which was quite heavy. It really helps to support the weight of heavy lenses and is easier to move than a tripod. That's when/why I use it is if I plan to be moving around a lot. I've never used it with a long prime because I only shoot them when I'm plan to be stationary. Whether or not it buys you any shutter speed is very dependent on the individual. In my case it does not. But it does improve gross stability for precision focus and for following moving targets. One down side vs tripod is that with the monopod you still have to have your hands on it at all times.

Real Name
    Dan

Paul, I should have mentioned that I shot for several years with a monopod only. Didn't even own a tripod. After I got a proper tripod and gimbal head, I rarely use the monopod now other than as mentioned, i.e. when I know I'm going to be mobile. They both work. It's a personal preference sort of thing.

Real Name
    John

Agree with Brian, also you can angle it over a balcony or other barrier provided you have a swivel head. Treated as if hand holding technique can give you a good reduction of camera shake.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I prefer a tripod but at a crowded event (especially evening) or when traveling I usually find the monopod far more convenient.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I prefer a tripod but at a crowded event (especially evening) or when traveling I usually find the monopod far more convenient.
    Also makes for a good walking stick.

Real Name
    Ken

I made good use of mine, along with a walking pole when walking the Inca trail to Machu Picchu 10 years ago. Some of those steps are pretty steep. And yes, I did have a total hip replacement 6 years ago, as I was in some pain at the time of the tramp, but the replacement was not as result of the tramp, just advancing age.

Real Name
    Richard

+1 to virtually every comment above...

The monopod not only gives a camera and a long lens some stability (I always use it in conjunction with the lens Image Stabilization) but, also allows me to rest the camera/lens when I an not actually shooting. I usually carry the monopod the camera and lens attached over my shoulder when moving hither and yon... Occasionally, the monopod has stabilized me when otherwise I might have fallen forward. Although I don't make a practice of doing this, I will occasionally disconnect the pod from the camera/lens and use the pod as a walking stick.

I have two monopods. One is a very sturdy graphite pod sold by Calumet Camera. It can easily support the largest package I will use: 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II lens on a Canon 7D Mark 2 camera with a 600SX RT Flash attached. The second pod is quite light weight and relatively inexpensive. It is a Manfrotto but, I don't know the model number. I use this pod for my Canon SX-50 HS bridge camera, my Panasonic HDC TM900 video camera and I can use this tripod with my iPhone, utilizing an iPhone mount...

I use a very lightweight and cheap ballhead on the lightweight tripod and choose between a Kirk swivel head and a Manfrotto Gimbal head when I am shooting with my 100-400 II on the Canon 7D Mark 2 camera. I will most of the time use the Manfrotto gimbal when I know that I will be shooting moving subjects - especially faster moving subjects and I will use the Kirk head when I primarily expect to shoot relatively non moving subjects. Thje Kirk head has an Arca compatible quick release and the Manfrotto has its own proprietary Q.R. The third party foot of my 100-400 II lens will fit either type quick release.

I like to keep my monopod perpendicular to the ground at a 90 degree angle. That is the way I can hold the camera with the most solid hold. The swivel or gimbal allows me to tilt the camera up or down while the monopod still remains perpendicular under the camera/lens.When I shoot with the Manfrotto gimbal, I use my left hand to hold one side of the gimbal and my right hand to hold the camera. When I a shooting with the Kirk swivel, I use my left hand to hold the monopod just beneath the camera. I slip my wrist through the carry strap of the pod and exert downward pressure, Naturally, I fire my camera with my right hand. The very lightweight ball head would be useless for a heavy camera/lens package but, is great for my use of it.

Most of the time, I do not shoot with the monopod head locked but only partially tightened down.

BTW: attempting to carry a monopod as cabin baggage on some airlines can be problematic. Alaska Airlines refused to allow me to board an aircraft bound for Anchorage from Los Angeles because they stated, "This ia s weapon like instrument!" On the way back I saw people boarding the Alaska Airlines flight for Los Angeles at Anchorage carrying monopods and asked the security person about it. His answer was "Oh, people carry them aboard all the time." You guess
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th January 2017 at 11:00 PM.

Real Name
    Paul David

Thanks for the replies. It is a nice monopod. Carbon fiber with 4 sections. I can also use it as a wading staff while fishing.

Real Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Thanks for the replies. It is a nice monopod. Carbon fiber with 4 sections. I can also use it as a wading staff while fishing.
    Or fending off wild animals, or other fishermen.

Real Name
    Yes

I use a monopod as my disability aid, and effectivly challenge those who say no tripods to say no monopods when they would remove my aid.
    Another use for my monopod is to raise the camera high up, above walls, fences and hedges. Though unsteady so requiring high shutter speeds this technique has enabled me to get many shots otherwise unatainable.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    Or fending off wild animals, or other fishermen.
    It may work in the South Island but up here it needs to be made out of something much stronger and heavier than carbon fibre to have any chance of being effective...

Real Name
    John

It may work in the South Island but up here it needs to be made out of something much stronger and heavier than carbon fibre to have any chance of being effective...
    Take the rubber tip off...hone precisely. Wait I think we are venturing into dangerous territory.

Real Name
    Paul David

Not enough to fend off wild animals (bear, moose) where I fish. Fortunately if one uses common sense they usually stay clear.

Real Name
    Ken

Reverse it and swing it by the foot so the tripod head and/or camera is ot the end!

I have a 4-section monopod that will support the heaviest lens combo that I have. I use it with a ball head of fairly heavy duty construction and incorporating a pistol grip. It's not lightweight but, as others have done, I have used it to support my bad leg on the trail.

One thing I like about the monopod, it can place the camera at a ready position, close to my eye when I have to be ready and waiting for something to happen, perhaps for hours. This can be quite wearing and may cause one to miss the shot with tired muscles trying to react quickly. The monopod keeps the camera at the ready and me reasonably fresh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast