Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Suggestions for flash trigger

Real Name
    Richard

Suggestions for flash trigger

I enjoy using this type of flash bracket...

Suggestions for flash trigger

Triggering the flash mounted on the above rig with my 7D or 7D2 cameras optically outdoors can be problematic. This depends on the direction and the intensity of the sun in relation to my camera/subject.

Therefore, I normally use a Canon off camera flash cord which works very well when the flash is either used alone or bounced with a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro.

I have a really nice folding softbox which includes an interior baffle and works well with the flash. I would like to use this occasionally. This softbox is a lot larger and provides better and softer light than my tiny Lumiquest softbox. The problem is that the softbox (although designed for a hotshoe flash) is relatively heavy. I worry about fitting the flash onto the receiver portion of the Off Camera Flash Cord because that places the flash higher than normal and I think would cause stress on the shoe of either the flash or the Off Camera Sync Cord.

A solution that I was thinking about might be to use a Yongnuo RT flash trigger on the camera and use my Canon 600EX RT flash on the flash bracket and modified by the softbox...

https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-YN-E3...XWYB67BT55E03X

I was considering this trigger because I need HSS capability and also want TTL AND manual flash exposure capability.

This trigger would also allow me to use the 600RX RT off camera...

What do you think about my idea - any other suggestions?

I was also very pleasantly surprised to learn that Yongnuo has produced master/slave flash units which can be triggered by the 600EX RT radio system. These units are slightly above $100 (USD) in cost and an additional flash would certainly complement my 600 EX RT at a price which I can afford.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th January 2017 at 04:34 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Suggestions for flash trigger

Richard, I've been using PocketWizards for a number of years and while they are more expensive that some of the Chinese products, they were recommended to my by a couple of commercial photographer that I know and the technology is very solid. On my Speedlights I get full control and they support HSS, although I never use that mode. I can fully control them as either fully automatic or fully manual from the trigger + controller on my camera's hot shoe. They handle 3 zones (i.e. independently controlled flashes) and I can vary output in 1/3 stop increments.

What is even more important to me, I can use these also use these with my Paul C Buff lights (they use a different receivers, but the same on-camera transmitter) and can also use the Speedlights with the monolights.

They make both Canon and Nikon models.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 15th January 2017 at 02:08 AM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ... I have a really nice folding softbox which includes an interior baffle and works well with the flash. I would like to use this occasionally. .... The problem is that the softbox (although designed for a hotshoe flash) is relatively heavy...
    Just me, but use a VALs or a stand, and get something like this bracket instead and use a softbox meant for a studio strobe. That way, you aren't stressing the flash's foot/head, and you can use a larger softbox. Once you get past a certain size trying to do this all on-camera gets too cumbersome and heavy. I've done light-on-a-stick, using a stud on a carbon-fiber monopod and putting the bracket onto that with a softbox.

A solution that I was thinking about might be to use a Yongnuo RT flash trigger on the camera and use my Canon 600EX RT flash on the flash bracket and modified by the softbox...
    It'll work, but the Yongnuo is still a Yongnuo. Cheap for a reason. As long as you aren't planning on heavy pro usage with it, it's probably an OK substitute for an ST-E3-RT. But it may make just as much sense to use an on-camera YN-600EX-RT as a master unit, if you wanted an on-camera flash. I would recommend buying from B&H or Amazon or some other place with a great return policy. As with most Yongnuo gear, sending it to China can be cost-prohibitive for warranty service/replacement.

...any other suggestions?
    The Canon -RT ecosystem is pretty small. I think your only other options are possibly the Shanny (worse reputation than Yongnuo, so wouldn't go there) and the Phottix Laso triggers. Phottix has a better reputation overall than Yongnuo and a little more industry buy-in, although it's mostly for the Odin system, which is incompatible with the -RT system.

The Yongnuo system is better for older camera owners--a lot of the new -RT features will work with pre-2012 bodies that won't with other straight-up clones of the -RT system. And they have a flash in the -RT system, which Phottix doesn't (they're building out their Odin system with the Mitros+ flashes. Which has buy-in from Sekonic and Lumopro's LP180R).

If you didn't already have the 600EX-RT, I'd actually say go Godox, because it's a full system (which includes that Adorama Flashpoint version of the Godox AD360 you were admiring). Granted, no ID codes, no remote zoom, and no ability to use your flash as your shutter remote, buuuuut those probably weren't the reasons you bought a 600EX-RT.

Real Name
    Yes

The Hahnel Tuff TTL Wireless Flash Trigger is a robust strong unit, though limited to simple ttl control.