Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help!

Real Name
    Kim

Help!

Hi. Starting to learn PS is on my list of things to do this winter. One of my police friends asked if I could add a "thin blue line" to the flag (it's a royal blue color). He wants the white row, right under the stars changed to the blue. I tried all the software that I know, and can't get anything I consider acceptable. My main problem has been jagged edges rather than a smooth transition. Would any PS pros be willing to help me? I could drop box the image to you and a sample of the "blue line" color.

Help!

Real Name
    John

Re: Help!

Wouldn't it be easier to start with the color version or did you try that? I would do a quick selection, invert and then desaturate the rest of the composition and perhaps change the color of the white stripe prior to desaturating.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Kim - I would use Photoshop and use the pen tool to make a selection and then paint over the white stripe with the royal blue colour. I would paint on a new empty layer, that way I could adjust the opacity so that the highlights and shadows on the actual image are also shown in the painted area to give the stripe a more realistic look.

I think this is what you are after???

Help!
    Last edited by Manfred M; 14th January 2017 at 03:13 AM.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks Manfred, yes that is what I am looking for. I'll give the pen tool a try.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Kim - I would use Photoshop and use the pen tool to make a selection and then paint over the white stripe with the royal blue colour. I would paint on a new empty layer, that way I could adjust the opacity so that the highlights and shadows on the actual image are also shown in the painted area to give the stripe a more realistic look.

Help!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Why is the request to change the color from white to blue being made?

Real Name
    Kim

It's the officer in the image making the request. It's a common symbolism Mike. It means -

The Thin Blue Line is a symbol used by law enforcement, originating in the United Kingdom but now prevalent in the United States and Canada to commemorate fallen and to show support for the living law enforcement officers and to symbolize the relationship of law enforcement in the community as the protectors of fellow civilians from criminal elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Why is the request to change the color from white to blue being made?

Real Name
    Kim

That did it Manfred - thanks again! I made it subtle and did some blending, so it actually looks realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

Help!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    That did it Manfred - thanks again! I made it subtle and did some blending, so it actually looks realistic.
    No problem - there isn't a lot of material to work with on the small image you posted here, but on the original, I'm sure you have a lot more to work with.

Real Name
    Richard

I don't know if the U.S. Flag Code allows the colors to be altered...

Depending on how the following is interpreted...

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL30243.pdf

"The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to
    it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any
    nature"

I can certainly realize that no disrespect towards the flag is meant.

BTW: For non-Americans - our correct treatment of the U.S. Flag is totally different than the treatment of the flags of other nations by their citizens which can be totally correct in their customs. Such as: in proper handling, we don't dip our flag to show respect and our national flag is not allowed to touch the ground. This is neither right nor wrong for other nations to do that with their flags, simply national custom.

Other cultures have their own customs to show respect. Like the ways respect is formally shown to the Monarch by most U.K. and Commonwealth citizens...

I also realize that these rules are violated all the time by people who mean no disrespect...

The U.S. Flag Code was changed a few years back and now when the National Anthem is played (such as at sporting events) or the flag passes in a parade, honorably discharged military veteran can offer the hand salute, whether in uniform or not and whether wearing a hat or not. Previously, all men were asked to take off their hats and hold them over their hearts during the National Anthem or when the flag passed.

Unfortunately, this change was not well publicized and many people don't know about it. They look at me like I am stupid when I do this...

Then a Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps came out with his opinion/decision, that discharged Marines were not allowed to do this. Unfortunately, he doesn't realize that once the member is discharged, he no longer has that authority over them. He can "request" them to follow his advice and not abide with the U.S. Flag Code but, not "order" them! But, in all respect for the Corps, the Marines are a different breed and rightfully proud of being so...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th January 2017 at 12:58 AM.

Real Name
    KaZ

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

"The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to
    nature"

BTW: For non-Americans - our correct treatment of the U.S. Flag is totally different than the treatment of the flags of other nations by their citizens which can be totally correct in their customs. Such as: in proper handling, we don't dip our flag to show respect and our national flag is not allowed to touch the ground. This is neither right nor wrong for other nations to do that with their flags, simply national custom.

Other cultures have their own customs to show respect. Like the ways respect is formally shown to the Monarch by most U.K. and Commonwealth citizens...

I also realize that these rules are violated all the time by people who mean no disrespect...

The U.S. Flag Code was changed a few years back and now when the National Anthem is played (such as at sporting events) or the flag passes in a parade, honorably discharged military veteran can offer the hand salute, whether in uniform or not and whether wearing a hat or not. Previously, all men were asked to take off their hats and hold them over their hearts during the National Anthem or when the flag passed.

Unfortunately, this change was not well publicized and many people don't know about it. They look at me like I am stupid when I do this...

Then a Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps came out with his opinion/decision, that discharged Marines were not allowed to do this. Unfortunately, he doesn't realize that once the member is discharged, he no longer has that authority over them. He can "request" them to follow his advice and not abide with the U.S. Flag Code but, not "order" them! But, in all respect for the Corps, the Marines are a different breed and rightfully proud of being so...
    technically i suppose its not a flag, its an image so it same rules might not apply, besides hes a policeman so should know the law

Real Name
    roy

KaZ wrote :- technically i suppose its not a flag, its an image so it same rules might not apply, besides hes a policeman so should know the law

?

Roy
    Last edited by Rent; 15th January 2017 at 10:21 PM.

Real Name
    Kim

I appreciate the insight Richard. Having spent the past 1 1/2 years with these guys, seeing the moral of the Police being destroyed in the US, and understanding what the "blue line" means to most officers, the only acceptable answer to this request for me was "of course, I'll make that change".

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

nature"