Thread: Photos at 896mm using 1.4x TC

Real Name
    Richard

Photos at 896mm using 1.4x TC

I shot this hand held in the rain from my patio, shot in RAW....

It is my first try using the 1.4x TC on my 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS lens. The AF works quite well using center point AF... I used Mode-1 IS

I used a Canon 7D Mark-2 camera (1.6x), 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II lens at 400mm with a Canon EF 1.4x TC (Mark I) which is reported as 898mm by Smugmug.com and 896mm by my calculations

I focused on the center bird using burst mode, center point single-shot, auto-focus

Manual exposure 1/2,000 second wide open (f/5.6 + 1.4x TC = f/8) using auto ISO at 3,200

Opened this into Photoshop CC using Adobe Bridge/Camera RAW

I used NIK Dfine for noise reduction and NIK Raw Presharpener and then I selected the birds in NIK Viveza and increased the structure 25%

Saved as a JPEG and uploaded full size to Smugmug.

I then linked it to CiC in X3 Large 800 x 1200 pixels

Photos at 896mm using 1.4x TC

I am pretty well satisfied with this image...

I am looking forward to shooting in brighter conditions so I could use a lower ISO and also using a monopod or tripod so I could shoot at a lower shutter speed and close down the f/stop to about f/11 after the TC is calculated in...

I also want to do a test using the 1.4x TC and then shooting from the same spot with the bare lens. Then cropping to the subject size I got with the TC and seeing which is the better. But that will have to wait for brighter conditions...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th January 2017 at 12:03 AM.

Re: Photos at 896mm using 1.4x TC

Excellent image!

I have the same rig myself and on a crop sensor (7D MkII or 80D,) and with the 1.4 (in my case Mk III) extender that 100-400 still renders amazingly sharp images. Helped of course, in this case, by a skilled photographer from what I can see!
    Last edited by Tronhard; 11th January 2017 at 10:00 PM.

Real Name
    John

That's a nice sharp result Richard. Dedicated converters seem to produce a much better result than third party offerings.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    That's a nice sharp result Richard. Dedicated converters seem to produce a much better result than third party offerings.
    This is a dedicated EF 1.4x TC but, is the original Mark-1 version. However, from what I have read, there is not a great deal of difference ESPECIALLY in the center frame between using the Mark-1, Mark-2, EF 1.4x Teleconverters. Since I am shooting with the 7D2, a crop sensor camera, I am making use primarily of the center of the image circle...

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources...ders_pt2.shtml

"EF 1.4x II is optically identical to its previous version" However both the 1.4 and 2x teleconverters mark 3 are better optically than either mark 1 ir mark 2 teleconverters
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th January 2017 at 07:13 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

I think TCs tend to get a bad name because of their few inherent minor limitations.

From my own experience with the Nikon 80-400mm with a 1.4 TC using both crop and full frame cameras once the limitations are learnt, I have not found a subject that I want to shoot with the combination that I can't produce results that I'm very pleased with.

I look forward to seeing the results of the comparison test, TC or crop for same framing. This is something I have not got around to doing yet.

Real Name
    Dan

I look forward to seeing the results of the comparison test, TC or crop for same framing. This is something I have not got around to doing yet.
    I've done this with the following equipment:

Canon 100-400 II
    Canon 1.4 x II
    7D (old version)
    5DIII

I set the lens at 350 mm on the crop (560mm FF equivalent) and 400mm + 1.4x on the full frame. I shot a high resolution chart at a short distance, perhaps 15 feet.

The crop without the converter beat the FF with the converter. The image with the converter wasn't as sharp, but the biggest difference I noticed was more chromatic aberration with the converter. I don't have a Mark III TC to try, but my guess is that it would be better. I don't think I kept the results, but the differences were enough to convince me to take the crop rather than the FF plus converter when I know I will want reach.

Unfortunately, my old 7D won't focus with the 100-400 at 400 plus a converter.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I've done this with the following equipment:

Canon 100-400 II
    Canon 1.4 x II
    7D (old version)
    5DIII

I set the lens at 350 mm on the crop (560mm FF equivalent) and 400mm + 1.4x on the full frame. I shot a high resolution chart at a short distance, perhaps 15 feet.

The crop without the converter beat the FF with the converter. The image with the converter wasn't as sharp, but the biggest difference I noticed was more chromatic aberration with the converter. I don't have a Mark III TC to try, but my guess is that it would be better. I don't think I kept the results, but the differences were enough to convince me to take the crop rather than the FF plus converter when I know I will want reach.

Unfortunately, my old 7D won't focus with the 100-400 at 400 plus a converter.
    My interest Dan was more in comparing one camera type, firstly using a 1.4 TC then secondly without the TC and cropping in post to get the same framing and image size.

With my old D300, the 80-400mm + 1.4TC AF is fine on the centre focus point but does become less reliable using the outer points, target dependant.

Real Name
    John

Nice experiment and capture.

Real Name
    Terri

Nice job. Looking forward to your comparisons.