Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the name of the equipment which attaches a lens to tripod?

Real Name
    Binnur

What is the name of the equipment which attaches a lens to tripod?

The far end of my 70-300 mm lens moves down a bit on the tripod after composing my shot, I think, because it is a long lens, the weight of the lens makes it move down. So, I have to consider in advance that it will move down a bit and compose accordingly. I have seen an equipment in a video which attaches the lens instead of the camera to the tripod and because it is a more balanced situation the far end of the lens stays stable and doesn't move down. But I don't know what it is called and that's why I can't find and order it through internet So, I would be happy ,if anyone knows this device and share its name.

Or,if there are other ways to keep a long lens stable on a tripod , I would be happy to hear.

Thanks for your help in advance

Real Name
    Dave

Re: What is the name of the equipment which attaches a lens to tripod?

Hi Binnur,

Its called a lens collar.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

As with everything, Binnur, there are good lens collars and there are poor lens collars. I know that, for example, the lens collars that are sold by Canon on Canon lenses, are superb. However, they are very expensive - arguably very over-priced. You do not get any movement with them.

But there are many cheap third-party lens collars that are not built to the same quality and, with them, you are very likely to still get some movement.

Also, as a worst-case scenario, I have heard of some of these cheap collars failing altogether and the lens and camera falling from the tripod onto the ground.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Binnur,

The basic question has been answered.

Can you remind us whether your 70-300 lens is Canon or Nikon, or some other brand please?

Some lenses really are not designed to accept a tripod/lens lens collar, especially if the maximum focal length is 'only' 300 mm.
    e.g. there's really no where I could use one on my Nikon 70-300mm, even if I wanted to.

Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Binnur, if your lens did not come with a collar/foot on it then it is not likely that it will accept one. But there are alternative means to accomplish what you want. You can get a rail that mounts to the camera's tripod socket and extends forward under the lens with an adjustable support. They are made specifically for lenses that don't have a collar/foot. You can see an example of one on Amazon at this link.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Hi Binnur,

Its called a lens collar.

Dave

Real Name
    Binnur

Thanks for the further info Donald. My lens is not a Canon, it is a Tamron 70-300, so I may not find a good quality colar for it in the market

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    As with everything, Binnur, there are good lens collars and there are poor lens collars. I know that, for example, the lens collars that are sold by Canon on Canon lenses, are superb. However, they are very expensive - arguably very over-priced. You do not get any movement with them.

But there are many cheap third-party lens collars that are not built to the same quality and, with them, you are very likely to still get some movement.

Also, as a worst-case scenario, I have heard of some of these cheap collars failing altogether and the lens and camera falling from the tripod onto the ground.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Dave , my lens is a Tamron 70-300, so may be it is impossible to find a suitable collar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Binnur,

The basic question has been answered.

Can you remind us whether your 70-300 lens is Canon or Nikon, or some other brand please?

Some lenses really are not designed to accept a tripod/lens lens collar, especially if the maximum focal length is 'only' 300 mm.
    e.g. there's really no where I could use one on my Nikon 70-300mm, even if I wanted to.

Dave
    Last edited by bnnrcn; 6th January 2017 at 06:36 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Dan. No, my lens didn't come with a collar. But the alternative device in the link you gave looks very effective, thanks for it
    While looking at that link I came across this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-293...B2W0QHSGRVSXGA

It is a Manfrotto and it is cheaper but I don't know if it is better or not. So, do you know what the key points are for comparing?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Binnur, if your lens did not come with a collar/foot on it then it is not likely that it will accept one. But there are alternative means to accomplish what you want. You can get a rail that mounts to the camera's tripod socket and extends forward under the lens with an adjustable support. They are made specifically for lenses that don't have a collar/foot. You can see an example of one on Amazon at this link.
    Last edited by bnnrcn; 6th January 2017 at 06:37 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I think that, perhaps, this is a bit overkill for your Tamron lens. What kind of tripod head and clamp do you use on your tripod.

Often a decent quality Arca Compatible head and clamp will solve the movement problem.

Here are examples of two different Arca Compatible ball heads, The large one is a Giottos MH1300 and the smaller head is an Adorama Flashpoint F1...

I use the smaller head on a SLIK tripod modified as a travel tripod. Even though the F1 head is relatively small...

It can hold a camera and my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens quite securely.

If I were looking for a general purpose tripod head, I would use a bit larger one, like the Flashpoint F2 and I would combine this with an L bracket on my camera.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...te-Review.aspx

The L plates (L Brackets) by Really Right Stuff or Kirk are quite expensive but are well made.

However, eBay now has Chinese knockoffs of the RRS and Kirk plates at a much reduced price. I have one for my 7D Mark II and it seems every bit as well made as the RRS plates which can be up to 10x as expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...acket&_sacat=0

The plates are usually specific for each camera so that you can access batteries and other compartments without having to remove the plate from the camera.

The great advantage of an L Plate is that you can switch from horizontal to vertical without hanging the camera cantilevered over the side of the tripod head. The L bracket keeps the weight of the camera directly over the tripod and head whether it is in the horizontal or vertical position.

BTW: Most tripod heads are interchangeable and some non-Arca Compatible heads can be changed to Arca Compatibility simply by replacing the clamp.

Arca Swiss Release Systems are both a brand and a type of clamp. They were first made by the Arca company of Switzerland but now, just about any clamp with those characteristics will be branded as Arca Compatible. My two (actually three if you include the table top model) are equipped with Arca Compatible heads and clamps while my monopod has an Arca Compatible swivel clamp...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th January 2017 at 06:07 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Richard, thanks for your comment

I use a Manfrotto 498RC2 with my tripod. Here it is : https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-498.../dp/B002PWHOYG

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I think that, perhaps, this is a bit overkill for your Tamron lens. What kind of tripod head and clamp do you use on your tripod.

Often a decent quality Arca Compatible head and clamp will solve the movement problem.

Here are examples of two different Arca Compatible ball heads, The large one is a Giottos MH1300 and the smaller head is an Adorama Flashpoint F1...

I use the smaller head on a SLIK tripod modified as a travel tripod. Even though the F1 head is relatively small...

It can hold a camera and my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens quite securely.

If I were looking for a general purpose tripod head, I would use a bit larger one, like the Flashpoint F2 and I would combine this with an L bracket on my camera.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...te-Review.aspx

The L plates (L Brackets) by Really Right Stuff or Kirk are quite expensive but are well made.

However, eBay now has Chinese knockoffs of the RRS and Kirk plates at a much reduced price. I have one for my 7D Mark II and it seems every bit as well made as the RRS plates which can be up to 10x as expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...acket&_sacat=0

The plates are usually specific for each camera so that you can access batteries and other compartments without having to remove the plate from the camera.

The great advantage of an L Plate is that you can switch from horizontal to vertical without hanging the camera cantilevered over the side of the tripod head. The L bracket keeps the weight of the camera directly over the tripod and head whether it is in the horizontal or vertical position.

BTW: Most tripod heads are interchangeable and some non-Arca Compatible heads can be changed to Arca Compatibility simply by replacing the clamp.

Arca Swiss Release Systems are both a brand and a type of clamp. They were first made by the Arca company of Switzerland but now, just about any clamp with those characteristics will be branded as Arca Compatible. My two (actually three if you include the table top model) are equipped with Arca Compatible heads and clamps while my monopod has an Arca Compatible swivel clamp...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Binnur,

Yes, as I and Dan suspected, the entire length of the Tamron barrel appears to be either zoom or focus rings, or switches and distance scales, not leaving a blank, parallel sided area in which to use a lens/tripod collar, so those alternative support ideas may be required.

Even then, you'd need to consider how the strap might prevent operation of controls.

The play, or droop, must be in the ball head, so a much stronger one of those (or a pan/tilt variety) may be the only practical solution, as Richard is exploring with you.

My main tripod has a pan/tilt head, so I can leave pan unlocked and tighten up tilt if necessary.

I think I have a very similar Manfrotto ball head to yours on my Monopod, but with that, I tend to either lock it very tight, then just lean the whole thing backwards or forwards for small tilt adjustments, or I leave the ball not quite locked and use it as a friction device, but them I'm forced to support the lens around the front, which is tiring in some situations - a cantilever that extends backwards would help a lot (I could pull down on that to keep the lens barrel up).

Then I moved on to shooting babies with short lenses instead of birds with my 70-300 mm
    (in other words, the need for a solution went away)
    However, I'll watch this thread with interest.

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

Binnur, I don't really like the Manfrotto RC2 Quick Release Clamp and I would replace it with an Arca Compatible Clamp.

However, I would make sure that the Manfrotto head is capable of supporting the camera/lens combination.

Often manufacturer's (Manfrotto included) are very generous in advertising the weight limits of their tripods/heads.

If your Ball Head is capable of supporting your rig, then it would be simple to purchase a replacement Arca Compatible clamp.

If it is not capable or is right at the edge of capability, ball heads with Arca Compatible clamps can be found in many price ranges...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 7th January 2017 at 04:23 AM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I just have to mention that this thread is immensely informative at least to this bystander.

Real Name
    Dan

Binnur, if your only concern is eliminating the droop and not steadying the lens more, then there is a much simpler solution. All you need is a macro/extender rail that will allow you to slide the camera backward so that the mounting point on your ball head is under the combined center of gravity of lens and camera. The one caveat to such a solution is that your rig will be more susceptible to vibration due to having additional mechanical joints etc. This could be done relatively inexpensively with just two parts needed.
    1) Arca swiss type extender rail like this
    2) Arca swiss style clamp

You would attach the clamp to the manfrotto quick release plate and the long rail to the bottom of your camera. Then you simply tighten the ball head down, attach the clamp with quick release plate to your ball head, mount the camera/rail into the arca clamp and leave it loose enough so the rail will slide in the clamp. Now you slide the camera backward/forward until it is balanced and tighten the clamp. No more droop.

Real Name
    Ken

Are you looking for something like this:-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Real Name
    Yes

I have the Maanfrotto 293 Telephoto lens support. {Not 293 Tripod} It is designed to work with heads with the 200pl plate. The camera is fitted by means of the (effectivly) monopod head which enables the camera lens assembly to tilt so the lens rests on a support and held in place by a velcro strap. Depending on lens it can make zoooming difficult. It does however have a number of tripod screw holes along its base so one can balance the whole by moving the centre of gravity over the tripod head. As supplied it has a 200pl plate which can be used with the standard Manfrotto heads. Its not the cheapest item, but there are lots of deals on Manfrotto equipment.
    To sum up it works but not as well as a proper lens collar, not least as to ease of moving to vertical format, but unlike cheap lens collar it will not mark the lens or possibly cause worse damage.
    I also have a Tamron adjustable lens collar but I have no idea if its still made. (I am an avid collector of second hand photographic gadgets).

Real Name
    Binnur

Wow! I didn't know there were so many alternative answers to my question . Thank you very much for your valuable comments .

After reading all of the comments , I think an Arca Compatible Clamp and may be a ball head with it are the ones I want to try first as they seem the most practical solutions for my 'not very long and not very heavy equipment'. I don't know if they are sold in Turkey but I might buy them from Amazon anyway

Thanks again for your valuable contributions to this thread
    Last edited by bnnrcn; 7th January 2017 at 05:36 PM.

Real Name
    KaZ

just to throw another option into the mix, i like taking photos of the moon and used to have the same problem, i managed to pick up a manfrotto fluid head on ebay for £30, which was a huge bargain if you look how much they cost new. its actually designed for video but works really well with the big lens composing my shots is so much easier, if you've ever used one you'll know why they call them fluid
    why not ask in your local camera shop if you can try one

Binnur - What you're describing is 'lens creep', I know because my 18-200 is known for having it. The link you provided in your post (#9) here is a good solution, IMO. I don't think you can harm your lens when using it as the strap around the lens can only be tightened so tight by hand. It won't take much to stop the creep so I feel it's a good way to go (I may get one myself).
    If your tripod setup is working for you now, I don't see a need to get anything else.
    Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast