Thread: Smart Lens clip-on for mobile - any experience?

Real Name
    Mike

Smart Lens clip-on for mobile - any experience?

I was in Walmart today and noticed 2 different offerings from tzumi, first a 3-lens fisheye/macro/wide set and second a 8x fixed telephoto.

I've seen these online and thought they were clever. So I grabbed one for just under $15, safe in the knowledge I could return it ;-)

Since it gets dark early and it's still dark, I did some quick shots in the kitchen:

品Phone 6 with native lens at widest zoom setting
    品Phone 6 with native lens at full zoom
    百mart Lens+iPhone wide setting
    百mart Lens+iPhone full zoom

Here are my impressions:

Clipping the lens on an iPhone is a bit dorky because the iPhone's lens is so close to the edge, and you have to place it just right to minimize vignetting.

The Smart Lens has a manual focus adjustment, which is fun to use while at the same time the iPhone is trying to focus automatically.

It seems the iPhone's maximum zoom is 8x, since it matches the native magnification of the Smart Lens. But the iPhone pixelates badly at this zoom level, while the Smart Lens doesn't (but the Smart Lens has severe pincushioning). I知 not sure if this is progress or not! Maybe somewhat.

So! I'll play with this thing in the light tomorrow and decide if it's worth keeping. I can't see carrying the Smart Lens around without some sort of camera or carry bag (I don't always have a shirt pocket), but if I'm going to do that, I might as well bring the DSLR and 75-300 along...

I'm curious to know if anyone else has tried this thing.

PS: Holding the Canon zoom in front of the iPhone lens is not an option, ha!

smartlens1.jpg

smartlens2.jpg

smartlens3.jpg

smartlens4.jpg

smartlens.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Robin

re: Smart Lens clip-on for mobile - any experience?

I've been tempted to buy one of the wide angle adapters for ages but they all require the phone to be taken out of a case - which I rarely if ever do - so haven't bothered.

Real Name
    Mike

re: Smart Lens clip-on for mobile - any experience?

I tried the Smart Lens both with and without the iPhone case (the latter after much struggling to get the case off). I can't say at this point if it made a difference; in daylight it might be more obvious.

BTW, the iPhone is very slippery without the case. iPads too. I don't get the point of sleek, unable-to-hold-securely design. So I too will be keeping the case on, regardless.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Smart Lens clip-on for mobile - any experience?

Please remind me; is the iPhone's zoom digital only, or is there some optical too?

I ask because the W/A+clip-on is a better 'telephoto' image than the iPhone zoom alone.

On this basis, this looks like $15 well spent for the odd 'long distance' capture, if you can accept the (mis?)-handling issues (and have a pocket/bag to put it in).

Real Name
    Mike

Dave, according to Apple's discussion boards,

"...note that the iPhone does not have optical zoom, only digital zoom, which is a hoax perpetrated on those inexperienced with digital photography. All it does is use less of the sensor, so the resolution is reduced."

I agree the clip-on gives a better 8x image without the digital artifacts. If I can see the mountains north of LA tomorrow, I will test it on them. Should still be snow up there, but it's been cloudy lately.

Real Name
    John

How did the first image look when zoomed in?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    How did the first image look when zoomed in?
    If you mean the W/A (image 1) cropped and enlarged on computer (mimicking digital zoom), that's a good question.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    If you mean the W/A (image 1) cropped and enlarged on computer (mimicking digital zoom), that's a good question.
    Yes.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Please remind me; is the iPhone's zoom digital only, or is there some optical too?

I ask because the W/A+clip-on is a better 'telephoto' image than the iPhone zoom alone.

On this basis, this looks like $15 well spent for the odd 'long distance' capture, if you can accept the (mis?)-handling issues (and have a pocket/bag to put it in).
    Depends on the iPhone. The 7 Plus has two cameras one with a 28mm (equivalent) lens and one wth a 56mm. Apple refer to it as having a zoom though really its switching between the two not zooming - beyond that point it can zoom to 10x but that is entirely digital.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

One of the people I worked with bought an earlier version of one of these lenses and managed to scratch the lens on his iPhone. He was not a happy camper as the auxiliary lens manufacturer suggested it was not caused by their equipment, so buyer beware.

Real Name
    Richard

I can really see the advantage of using the smartphone (iPhone) as a camera since many folks have their smartphones with them at all times. However, I wonder how many of these folks would have the auxiliary lens, tripod adapter, etc., etc... with them at all times. And, if you are going out specifically to shoot images (and if you own a DSLR) why not take the camera, over which you will have a LOT MORE CONTROL

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I can really see the advantage of using the smartphone (iPhone) as a camera since many folks have their smartphones with them at all times. However, I wonder how many of these folks would have the auxiliary lens, tripod adapter, etc., etc... with them at all times. And, if you are going out specifically to shoot images (and if you own a DSLR) why not take the camera, over which you will have a LOT MORE CONTROL
    My tripod with the phone mount is in the car at all times so I do typically have it with me when I'm out. As to why I chose to sometimes shoot with the iPhone instead of my mirrorless camera - well I like to experiment and absolute pixel level quality doesn't really interest me and I can take images with it that I am more than happy with and it can do some neat tricks my Fuji can't and if I want to I have control over ISO, WB, Aperture, Focus and even focal length. Not sure how I'd get A LOT MORE control?
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 4th January 2017 at 07:13 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Here's a 100% size cropped version from the original iPhone wide angle pic. To my eye it looks pretty much the same as the digital zoom version.

BTW, the images I posted earlier were reduced in size for forum posting.

crop.jpg

Real Name
    Mike

A couple quickies out the window in daylight before i head out later.

I think I now have an iPhoneLomo!

品Phone wide
    品Phone with Smart Lens
    品Phone wide cropped at 100%

PS: That's not the DMZ; that's a "wash" where water from the mountains flows in rain and winter so it doesn't flood neighborhoods anymore.

house1.jpg

house2.jpg

house100.jpg

Real Name
    Richard

I guess it would be fun to play with. In fact, during my film days, I played with pinhole cameras. However, I never seriously used those to shoot my images. The pinhole images sort of looked like image #2.

I do occasionally use the iPhone as a camera, when I am dumb and forget my camera at an adoption event. I have solved this by keeping my old Canon 350D with a 40mm pancake lens in my car. That is really a small package but gets great imagery...

Otherwise, I do not consider my iPhone 6+ as a serious contender for my images. IMO, the iPhone 6+ is a PITA to use in bright sunlight because of the LCD. Of course you could use one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calumet-3x-H...YAAOSwiONYL4vk

Of course, that would make the package almost as big as a DSLR camera...

Real Name
    Mike

Well, after this morning's test, I decided to return the Smart Lens. Got some jeans instead ;-)

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I guess it would be fun to play with. In fact, during my film days, I played with pinhole cameras. However, I never seriously used those to shoot my images. The pinhole images sort of looked like image #2.
    I once saw an article in national geographic or time about a guy that made big pinhole cameras out of hotel rooms. I was pretty interesting.