Thread: Market

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Market

Another break from from my usual landscape stuff.

On my second visit to Bodie State Park in California, I left by the north route. The road comes out at Bridgeport, which lies on Highway 395. Seemed a fine little town, but I couldn't help but feel - What do the people do?

I know I was just a tourist passing through and I have no right to reach a judgement, but the locked up old market store at the north end of town didn't help to get rid of the feeling that this was a town looking for a purpose. As the song says - It should have died, but it's it's still there and good on it.

Your C & C always welcome.

Market

Real Name
    John

Re: Market

Hi Donald,
    Some of these small towns were tied to a specific industry/ trade, some get bypassed by major highways, those that survive usually find a niche that keeps tourists coming. Nicely captured and processed.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 6th December 2016 at 09:25 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Another break from from my usual landscape stuff.

On my second visit to Bodie State Park in California, I left by the north route. The road comes out at Bridgeport, which lies on Highway 395. Seemed a fine little town, but I couldn't help but feel - What do the people do?

I know I was just a tourist passing through and I have no right to reach a judgement, but the locked up old market store at the north end of town didn't help to get rid of the feeling that this was a town looking for a purpose. As the song says - It should have died, but it's it's still there and good on it.

Your C & C always welcome.

Market
    certainly a sad what went wrong shot.

Real Name
    Richard

Donald, there are derelict towns all over the American West. Some like Bodie, have a center of interest and others just linger on. Some folks just live in these areas because it is dirt cheap in comparison to the Pacific Coastal areas or to more populated inland areas. I guess that some folks just like the area, although I cannot imagine why

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Donald, there are derelict towns all over the American West. Some like Bodie, have a center of interest and others just linger on. Some folks just live in these areas because it is dirt cheap in comparison to the Pacific Coastal areas or to more populated inland areas. I guess that some folks just like the area, although I cannot imagine why
    I read that this area is more popular in winter than summer.

Real Name
    Jim

An interesting story attached to Bridgeport.
    http://www.thebridgeportinn.com/white_lady.php

The last time I was there, I ended up in the hospital. I started up from L.A. to do some fishing. This is what keeps the town alive; fishing and winter sports. After a full day of driving and drinking, the 395 took a sharp left heading into Bridgeport. Too bad I didn't. I suddenly awoke in a hospital bed with several cows grazing outside my window. I knew something bad had happened. Turns out, I hit a bulldozer head on at probably 70 mph. The owner of the bulldozer came by to visit me the next afternoon. He told me that he parked his bulldozer there to protect his house from people who don't turn left when they need to. I was told that I was extracted from underneath the steering wheel. The county decided not to press charges. They figured I'd received enough punishment for my crime.

Real Name
    Maurice

Very nice image and great capture.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Jimr1961 View Post
    An interesting story attached to Bridgeport.
    http://www.thebridgeportinn.com/white_lady.php

The last time I was there, I ended up in the hospital.
    Jim - I'm not sure which story is the more dramatic!

I know exactly the bend you are talking about. The road coming in from Bodie joins the 395 just on that bend. My God, what an experience. Thank goodness you're still here to tell the tale.

And as for the White Lady. The road that she and Mac took out of Bodie to Bridgeport would obviously have been the same one that I took on the day I captured this photograph.

Whilst in Bodie I got talking to an older gentleman who told me he'd been coming to Bodie to visit for years. He told me that he'd come in that day by the north-west route (the Bodie Masonic Road) and pointed to the road that goes way up the hill from the car park. He said it was a much longer route out, but more interesting. What he didn't mention is that it's obviously a route for 4 x 4s and not really recommended for 'ordinary' cars. However, I had a rental car and they can go places that other cars can't go!

It was a great adventure and, yes, it was spectacular. What I didn't know was exactly where it came out onto a paved highway. I found that out when I got to Bridgeport.

So, yes, I took the road that Mac and Sarah took. It's interesting to note that the journey they made took them all day. It took me just less than 2 hours. The fact that I'm a Scot as well gives it that extra special meaning for me. I will certainly save this story as part of the record of my visit.
    Last edited by Donald; 7th December 2016 at 10:14 AM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Sadly beautiful

Real Name
    Kay

I understand the image evokes sad emotions, but I also find it very peaceful & calming.
    I think that's a good sign when an image speaks to different people in different ways.