Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Manual is not totally manual

Real Name
    Richard

Re: When Manual is not totally manual (Lion at Paradise Valley)

Programmed or "P" mode is denigrated by many photographers but, can be a way to start with the closest to a viable combination of shutter speed and f/stop. Programmed is the way I put my camera to rest at the end of a shooting session. The reason for that choice is that if I have to pick up the camera in a hurry, the P selection will most likely give me a good start at a decent shutter speed and f/stop combination if I just have to grab and shoot.

At least with my Canon DSLR cameras, the Programmed exposure also lets me easily select both the shutter speed and the f/stop that I want/need.

Using "P", I can adjust my exposure through the entire spectrum of shutter speed and f/stops simply by rotating the top dial. I can adjust the exposure + or - by simply rotating the back dial.

I can do these adjustments while looking through the viewfinder.

Sure, I use manual at times, I use TV (Canon speak for shutter priority) at times and also use AV (aperture priority) at other times..

Having these various choices is like having a toolbox containing several hammers with which to drive a nail. Which choice I make is determined by the type of nail I am driving.

The only hammer I never use is the plastic one left over from my kid's toy box (full automatic).

BTW: With my 7D and 7DII cameras, I also have three user selected modes that I can choose with just a flip of the mode dial. I have these set in various combinations of exposure and focus, burst or not burst modes as well as AEB (auto exposure bracketing).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I've never taken the time to rate the various combinations of settings and that's for two reasons. The first is that I don't understand why doing so would be helpful to me; instead, I concentrate on understanding the advantages and disadvantages of the various options related to the various shooting situation. The second reason is that I think of the distinction between manual and automatic with regard to photography very much like the distinction between being pregant or not; the camera is either set to use an automated function to determine the exposure or it ain't.
    I respect your position. But to me it's a bit more granular than that. To switch to a parallel universe, most of us could say that we drive a vehicle with a manual gearbox or automatic one. But talk to an old-timer and they will tell you that the gearbox we call 'manual' has a synchromesh capability that was not available in the original "crash boxes" where you had to adjust the revs pretty accurately or you ground your gears each time you changed - I've driven one or two and they are an adventure. Then there were the pre-select clutches in some sports cars that allowed you to anticipate a gear change and have it all lined up so when you pressed the button the change was significantly faster. Many modern cars offer fully automatic gear changing but with a separate control option to manually select which gears. These days one is posed with the choice of not only controlling the gear changes but the navigation and operation of the vehicle with the new self-driving capabilities coming on line. That would seem to indicate that there are degrees of automation and control that we balance between ourselves and the device. For me the critical thing is that I must have the capability to override the automatic functions of the device I am operating, if I choose to do so.

For ME there are degrees of automation I am prepared to allow the camera to control under conditions where I might not have the time to do the full manual exposure, and that works for me. I generally set my ISO locked at 200 (so that's manual) and play with the relationship between shutter and aperture. (Rather like in my 1980's SLR days.) Since most of my work is about controlling DoF I use aperture priority but I usually consider exposure compensation to override the camera's choice of shutter speed. Almost all the time I use spot metering, but with objects moving at high speed such as birds and aircraft I may use the full spread of sensor focusing points.

There are times when I use full manual for sure. I rarely use flash I shall leave that one aside. The thing is I have found a method that works for me, just as everyone else will find their "happy place".
    Last edited by Tronhard; 6th December 2016 at 07:56 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting that in spite of the different opinions, everyone who has commented on this thread manages to muddle through and produce reasonably acceptable photos

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Interesting that in spite of the different opinions, everyone who has commented on this thread manages to muddle through and produce reasonably acceptable photos

You don't see the exposure failures.....

I think that gist of this thread is all about definitions, as I have mentioned before that can vary considerably and I compared the issue to those considering manual vs. automatic vehicles.

These days I take it that most people will be using a modern camera with an integrated light meter and various levels of automated interaction between the systems that control aperture, ISO and shutter. So when someone says that they use manual or not, I wonder what they specifically mean by that. For example if we take the concept of manual to its logical conclusion, one would expect to take out of the equation the automatic light metering and go back to something like that which Ansel Adams would have used. I suspect however, that most people would consider manual to include this integrated element.

In the end it's all about semantics... and to me, while interesting, the technology we use to take the photo is less important that the result. Just as my by-line below says...
    Last edited by Tronhard; 7th December 2016 at 06:43 PM.

Real Name
    Grahame

A few days ago our old Nikon Coolpix P&S gave up for good and although I had promised the other half I will get a replacement tonight she asked if she could try and use my D300.

The session went .............................

I don't want that big lens on it (tiny 28-75 non VR Tamron).

I put the 50mm on.

I will not bore you with the training session for which I was only given 3 minutes.

Half an hour later I uploaded a load of fuzzy pictures (most taken in doors say no more)

She wants an 'AUTOMATIC' one, I want her to have an automatic one as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12