Thread: Three views of Llech-y-Dribedd: C andC welcome

Three views of Llech-y-Dribedd: C andC welcome

Llech-y-Dribedd Neolithic tomb near Moylegrove, Pembrokeshire, Wales, between the coast and the Presceli Hills.

Fuji X100, processed with Silkypix.

Real Name
    Maurice

Re: Three views of Llech-y-Dribedd: C andC welcome

Beautiful images and very well captured.

Thanks Maurice

Real Name
    Binnur

Nice set Dave I really like the composition in #2, it might look even better with some more environment.

Real Name
    Jean

The light is superb to show the volume of the stone.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Seeing these images, i feel heavily loaded with something
    very well captured; order of liking 1 > 2 > 3

Real Name
    John

Nicely composed shots.

For me, #1 has the best angle on the rocks but #2 shows a bit more of the rock width plus a nice bit of distant background. #2 is OK but a little on the 'tight' side.

Real Name
    Grahame

Technically all extremely good Dave but I wonder about the compositions.

I find that the horizon line cutting through the main stone somehow detracts from the magnificence of the structure. A possibility to give these more impact is to get down low and maybe shoot them earlier or later in the day to reduce the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Technically all extremely good Dave but I wonder about the compositions.

I find that the horizon line cutting through the main stone somehow detracts from the magnificence of the structure. A possibility to give these more impact is to get down low and maybe shoot them earlier or later in the day to reduce the shadows.
    Thanks Grahame. I agree about the background. The tomb lies up in the sharp angle of a field, so there is hedge quite close behind (except on the side that doesn't get the sun). Ideally I'd like it if there was no hedge in the bottom shot, just the Presceli Hills as background.

I'm a little confused by your comment on the shadows. If it were shot later, would it not be even more in shadow? In fact one of the reasons I shot it when I did (at about 5pm in early October, when sunset was then before 7pm) was to get low angled sun to accent the rock textures. (The other reason was that cloud had cleared by then). Of course if I were photographing it today the sun would be at nearly the same angle at midday

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Davejl View Post
    Thanks Grahame. I agree about the background. The tomb lies up in the sharp angle of a field, so there is hedge quite close behind (except on the side that doesn't get the sun). Ideally I'd like it if there was no hedge in the bottom shot, just the Presceli Hills as background.

I'm a little confused by your comment on the shadows. If it were shot later, would it not be even more in shadow? In fact one of the reasons I shot it when I did (at about 5pm in early October, when sunset was then before 7pm) was to get low angled sun to accent the rock textures. (The other reason was that cloud had cleared by then). Of course if I were photographing it today the sun would be at nearly the same angle at midday
    Dave, last year I was in Wales and had a few attempts at photographing Pentre Ifan but will admit I cheated by looking at some 'good' photographs of it prior to visiting the site. I was extremely lucky in that there was a natural hollow in the slope where I wanted to be so I could lay down in that with the tripod very low.

These structures are amazing.

With regard to my comment about the shadows I refer to the harsh line you can see as in No 3 on the left side upright rock. When I shot Pentra Ifan I found that I had to wait until late evening for the sun to be so weak that the shadow lines were not so distinct. The drawback to this was that I froze whilst waiting

I think they are one of those subjects where light, weather and time of day give endless possibilities and quite a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Dave, last year I was in Wales and had a few attempts at photographing Pentre Ifan but will admit I cheated by looking at some 'good' photographs of it prior to visiting the site. I was extremely lucky in that there was a natural hollow in the slope where I wanted to be so I could lay down in that with the tripod very low.

These structures are amazing.

With regard to my comment about the shadows I refer to the harsh line you can see as in No 3 on the left side upright rock. When I shot Pentra Ifan I found that I had to wait until late evening for the sun to be so weak that the shadow lines were not so distinct. The drawback to this was that I froze whilst waiting

I think they are one of those subjects where light, weather and time of day give endless possibilities and quite a challenge.
    Thank you Grahame. I'd be very interested to see your Pentre Ifan shots. I took some there the other year but the lighting was similar to my shots here, though taken at the other end of the day (also early October though). Not sure I want to air my efforts in public

Dave

Real Name
    Grahame

Thank you Grahame. I'd be very interested to see your Pentre Ifan shots. I took some there the other year but the lighting was similar to my shots here, though taken at the other end of the day (also early October though). Not sure I want to air my efforts in public

Dave
    Dave,

Here's a couple.

I like these, Grahame, especially the first shot, and I can see what you mean by using a lower viewpoint. Incidentally the cap-supporting stones in your first photo make me think of cloaked figures in conversation.

This is a shot I got from a more routine viewpoint. What I do like is the way the rock outcrops appear below the capstone. Hopefully I'll get back here again next year, and I'll take my tripod next time

Dave

Last edited by Davejl; 5th December 2016 at 06:14 PM.

Real Name
    Grahame

I like these, Grahame, especially the first shot, and I can see what you mean by using a lower viewpoint. Incidentally the cap-supporting stones in your first photo make me think of cloaked figures in conversation.

This is a shot I got from a more routine viewpoint. What I do like is the way the rock outcrops on Carningli hill appear below the capstone. Hopefully I'll get back here again next year, and I'll take my tripod next time

Dave
    It was unfortunate Dave that those who built Pentre Ifan did not consider the photographer in that when shooting from a low angle you can not show the gap between one of the vertical stones and the horizontal one

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I enjoyed the shots you have here plus your conversation with Grahame. Lots to learn re atmospheric shooting condition. Everytime I see a rock teeter totering on top of other rocks, I always wonder how the top one was positioned there in the olden times sans the modern equipments we have now to do it easily...