Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a tripod for indoor extreme macro and stacking.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Considering a tripod for indoor extreme macro and stacking.

Thanks for providing that photo of your gear, Dan. I haven't ever had a use for it but I have always wondered why my tripod specs indicate that the minimum height is less than the length of the center column. Now I know how to make that happen!

Real Name
    Grahame

Centre columns can be a terrific bonus for those wishing to capture small critters that move around. The ability to be able to adjust camera height accurately and much faster than adjusting three legs can make the difference between getting a shot or not.

But as with all options and alternatives it comes down to the user recognising what is going to be adequate for the purpose of the specific shot he is taking.

I still think that with Brian's original query which was basically to do with 'maintaining accurate framing repeat-ability following focus adjustment' the actual tripod used is only one of a number of aspects.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    I still think that with Brian's original query which was basically to do with 'maintaining accurate framing repeat-ability following focus adjustment' the actual tripod used is only one of a number of aspects.
    Grahame - I totally agree, but you need a strong, sturdy foundation to build on. If one doesn't get that right, the rest of the rig will never work well, and in my view, that means selecting the appropriate base (most likely a tripod) and head.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Richard,

I would consider your tripod a medium weight tripod, not one that is light weight. There are certainly a lot lighter-weight tripods.
    I totally agree with you Mike. It was the manufacturer, not me, that labelled this tripod as "light-weight". I do enjoy the sturdiness of this tripod with its large diameter legs. The weight of this tripod is the reason that I modified my Slik into a two pound or so travel tripod.

And I do agree that a reversing center column is very handy in placing the camera/lens exactly where you want to place it. In fact, I will use the center column in this mode about as often as I use the articulating column. I also use the center column when I heed to adjust the height a couple of inches but, will extend the legs if I want the height greatly increased.

The first genuinely articulating tripod that I saw (years ago) was the Benbo. This tripod is or was made in the U.K.. I would bet that the Benro was/is a take-off on the Benbo name.

BTW: I have not been able to find the Giottos MT8180 tripod anyplace on used sites. I did find this one on eBay USA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giottos-MT73...YAAOSw3mpXKfQR

It seems to be quite a bit like my MT8180 and it comes with a Arca Compatible head for about $190 USD with shipping,

Here is more information on the Giottos MT7371

http://www.adorama.com/gtmt7371.html?discontinued=t
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 28th November 2016 at 01:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12