Thread: Putting together an album

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Putting together an album

It was suggested some time back that I should create a master thread with links to all the threads I'm starting with pics from my recent trip to Yosemite and around.

I haven't done that yet, but I have started putting together an album on my own website. I always said I wanted 10-12 from this trip that I'd really be proud to show. I think I may have that + a few more. I still have images to process. So, in the end I think I may end up with two permanent galleries on my website, plus a separate one for images from Bodie State Park.

But, if you can be bothered, I'd welcome anything you have to say about how my images are looking as an album. Not what they're like as individual images (people have been kind enough to do that on here), but how they all hang together. There are a couple of images in there that I haven't posted up here yet and, over time, it will change a number of times.

But if you are interested in looking, you can see it at - http://www.dmackimages.org/Other/Latest-Stuff/n-8Vf8c/

Real Name
    Jim

Re: Putting together an album

Wow, Raven flying across Half Dome is really a super shot! Half Dome in bokeh looks like the head and shoulder of a bird of prey.

Real Name
    Richard

Maybe, I was not navigating through your album correctly but, the images came up as quite small, even viewed as full screen images.

BTW: although you specifically asked only for comments on your album and how it works, I just have to mention that your "Clearing Thunderstorm, Valley View, Yosemite" is my favorite of all your Yosemite images I have yet seen. IMO, it is quite magnificent and well worth the trip if that were your only image recorded...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

There are some magical images on your website that I didn't see here at CiC.

All of the images hold together very well for me as a group except that Tenaya Lake #4 doesn't seem to be a good fit because it is the only image that is tinted, at least tinted strongly enough to notice the toning.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Maybe, I was not navigating through your album correctly but, the images came up as quite small, even viewed as full screen images.

BTW: although you specifically asked only for comments on your album and how it works, I just have to mention that your "Clearing Thunderstorm, Valley View, Yosemite" is my favorite of all your Yosemite images I have yet seen. IMO, it is quite magnificent and well worth the trip if that were your only image recorded...
    Thank you Richard.

The way I have my site designed is that you see a quite small copy of the image alongside the gallery thumbnails. Then, when you click on an image and see it on its own, you are offered, at the design stage, to set a size at which that is displayed. I think it ranges from small through to extra-large. I choose 'Large' as I find that a pleasing size to view. I understand that this may then look too small on some monitors.
    Last edited by Donald; 18th November 2016 at 05:46 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    There are some magical images on your website that I didn't see here at CiC.

All of the images hold together very well for me as a group except that Tenaya Lake #4 doesn't seem to be a good fit because it is the only image that is tinted, at least tinted strongly enough to notice the toning.
    Thank you, Mike. Good point, which I missed.

Even though I have put them up on my site, I'll still put those 'other' images up on CiC as I come to them. I'm trying to do that chronologically, so that I don't lose track of what I have and haven't posted. In fact I think the 'Raven' picture is next in line for posting on my Facebook page and into CiC.
    Last edited by Donald; 18th November 2016 at 05:49 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Jimr1961 View Post
    Wow, Raven flying across Half Dome is really a super shot! Half Dome in bokeh looks like the head and shoulder of a bird of prey.
    Thank you, Jim. I am quite proud of that one. I knew exactly what I wanted as the ravens hovered around (I was at Washburn Point). I tracked this one for some time and knew it was going to cross Half-Dome, so was ready. I think it's the first time I've ever nailed the focus on a bird in flight.
    Last edited by Donald; 18th November 2016 at 05:55 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Here is my two pennies worth (Canadian, so only worth 74% of an American's or 60% of a Brits opinion)

I would change the order to have more of a theme flow 1,2,6,12,11,8,3,5,7,9,13,10,15,16
    I would not have 5 in sepia as it disrupts the tone consistency.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Here is my two pennies worth (Canadian, so only worth 74% of an American's or 60% of a Brits opinion)

I would change the order to have more of a theme flow 1,2,6,12,11,8,3,5,7,9,13,10,15,16
    I would not have 5 in sepia as it disrupts the tone consistency.
    I tried to follow your directions, but then got hopelessly lost. The bottle of wine that's now inside me probably didn't help.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I tried to follow your directions, but then got hopelessly lost. The bottle of wine that's now inside me probably didn't help.
    Maybe I should drink two litres of beer and retype the instructions, so we are both in the same mental state and the playing field is level.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Maybe I should drink two litres of beer and retype the instructions, so we are both in the same mental state and the playing field is level.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I have a better idea: I'll drink the wine and watch you two rearrange the order of the images.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I have a better idea: I'll drink the wine and watch you two rearrange the order of the images.
    You are a wise man, Mr Buckley.

Real Name
    John

Donald,

Have you considered different background/border color or would you use white border if mounted? Some wouldn't benefit from a gray border but I think a few would.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Donald,

Have you considered different background/border color or would you use white border if mounted? Some wouldn't benefit from a gray border but I think a few would.
    The problem I have, John, is now breaking from the 'house style' that I have adopted for my prints, which is a white mount.

Real Name
    Pat

Hello Donald, I viewed your web site and enjoyed it. Some what along the lines of Ansel Adams.
    Question, is B/W photography your main interest? I ask because there were no colour photos.
    Personally I feel that a B/W photo is more interesting as one's imagination comes into play when viewing.

Thanks for you efforts as moderator on the CiC site.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It was suggested some time back that I should create a master thread with links to all the threads I'm starting with pics from my recent trip to Yosemite and around.

I haven't done that yet, but I have started putting together an album on my own website. I always said I wanted 10-12 from this trip that I'd really be proud to show. I think I may have that + a few more. I still have images to process. So, in the end I think I may end up with two permanent galleries on my website, plus a separate one for images from Bodie State Park.

But, if you can be bothered, I'd welcome anything you have to say about how my images are looking as an album. Not what they're like as individual images (people have been kind enough to do that on here), but how they all hang together. There are a couple of images in there that I haven't posted up here yet and, over time, it will change a number of times.

But if you are interested in looking, you can see it at - http://www.dmackimages.org/Other/Latest-Stuff/n-8Vf8c/
    Myra who loves your work doesn't like the web page but isn't sure why not. I find my eyes drawn to the thumbnails but I want to look at the big shot. Simply put I would prefer my focus to flow to the big picture. Hope I'm not sounding too negative?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I have created an ordered list of all the threads in the 2016 P52 thread.

It is here.

Enjoy, Dave