Thread: Photoshop CC 2017

Real Name
    Richard

Photoshop CC 2017

I upgraded to Photoshop CC 2017 and was surprised to learn that my NIK Software was not included in the upgrade. I guess that I will need to upgrade the NIK also???

Will I have to redo every one of my Photoshop Plug-Ins???

Each time I upgrade???

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Photoshop CC 2017

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I upgraded to Photoshop CC 2017 and was surprised to learn that my NIK Software was not included in the upgrade. I guess that I will need to upgrade the NIK also???

Will I have to redo every one of my Photoshop Plug-Ins???

Each time I upgrade???
    This happens every time there is a major upgrade, like CC 2015 to CC 2017, but not for the minor upgrades.

This issue was discussed in thread: Adobe CC2017 watch it

Try what I did in #3 and see if that works for you.

Real Name
    John

Doesn't need an upgrade for NIK Richard. Just re-install it. Ditto Topaz if you need to (only some element in my case). For some reason, PS CC 2017 loses some plugins even when they are compatible. Annoyingly however, there are some plugins that are not compatible even though they were fine with PS CC 2015. DeNoise Projects Pro is an example but luckily it will operate as a standalone application until and if Francis update it. Sadly, there are others like Perfect Effects 9 that will not install and are unlikely to be updated.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    This happens every time there is a major upgrade, like CC 2015 to CC 2017, but not for the minor upgrades.

This issue was discussed in thread: Adobe CC2017 watch it

Try what I did in #3 and see if that works for you.
    Worked for me yesterday. Thanks Manfred.

Real Name
    Robin

All you need to do it copy the Nik folder from the CC 2015 plugin folder and paste it into the plugin folder of CC 2017.

Taken a few seconds and you're away again.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Folks, all you have to bear in mind is that when offered an upgrade with a new (to you) 'year' suffix; e.g. "2015", "2015.5" (why?!) and now "2017", it is installing a whole new application with its own (new) folder structure.

This explains the need to manually copy across the files of any Plug-ins from the old set of folders to the new.

You may also need to add the new program to the "Open With" options in third party apps, e.g. I do this for Nikon's ViewNX*, also perhaps any Open with PS browser add-on.
    * This allows me be importing, viewing, culling images in ViewNX and right click an image and choose Open With ... "Photoshop CC2017", which then runs and opens the image for editing (in ACR > PS).

By the by, when I was offered CC2017, it said it would automatically "uninstall old versions"
    So I clicked the "Advanced" link/button and unchecked that option.
    Later I manually uninstalled "CC 2015" (right click in menu, Uninstall) to free up some space, but I left "CC 2015.5" in place as a fallback.

If a CC upgrade is NOT a new 'year', then you won't need to mess about with copying plug-ins, etc. (as Manfred said above).

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    John

The thing is Dave, it automatically transferred some of my plugins but not all. Seems to depend on the plugin.

Real Name
    mark

Funny thing is it seems to transfer some for some people but not for other people.

Real Name
    Richard

I just reinstalled the NIK Collection and it worked just fine... Of course, since NIK is now free, we can install it as many times as we desire. I am not sure that will be the case with a paid program like Portrait Professional or ON-1 RAW....

Real Name
    Binnur

When I updated to PS CC 2015.5 , as far as I remember I watched a video on the internet about how to install plug-ins under common files folder in PS in order not to install them whenever a new version came. But I couldn't find the video now

But I found Photoshop's trouble shooting page about plug-ins and if you look at the 'Locate Plug-in Folders' part of the page you will see the explanation about 'Shared Creative Cloud Location'. If you locate your plug-ins there, you won't have any problems with the next version . When I updated to PS CC 2017 my plug-ins (Nik Software) came with the new version automatically and I didn't have to re-install them.

I hope this helps https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...eshooting.html

Real Name
    John

For many plugins, there is a point in the installation process where you are presented with a screen that says something like "the following compatible applications have been detected...." and then requires you to select the application in which you want the plugin to reside or it merely informs you that the plugin will be installed in all of them. I've found the problem is when the list of applications doesn't include PS CC. I assume that this is because the plugin needs to be updated to acknowledge the existence of PS CC. Of course it also represents an opportunity for the plugin software house to encourage you to purchase the latest edition.

Real Name
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I just reinstalled the NIK Collection and it worked just fine... Of course, since NIK is now free, we can install it as many times as we desire. I am not sure that will be the case with a paid program like Portrait Professional or ON-1 RAW....
    Richard, As long as you keep the original file that is initially in "download directory", you can reinstall it on the same computer as many times as you want.
    I experimented to re download On1 Photo 10 without trouble.

Real Name
    Binnur

Yes, I keep my Nik exe file in the 'download directory' all the time. Just in case ..

Quote Originally Posted by bje07 View Post
    Richard, As long as you keep the original file that is initially in "download directory", you can reinstall it on the same computer as many times as you want.
    I experimented to re download On1 Photo 10 without trouble.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    When I updated to PS CC 2015.5 , as far as I remember I watched a video on the internet about how to install plug-ins under common files folder in PS in order not to install them whenever a new version came. But I couldn't find the video now

But I found Photoshop's trouble shooting page about plug-ins and if you look at the 'Locate Plug-in Folders' part of the page you will see the explanation about 'Shared Creative Cloud Location'. If you locate your plug-ins there, you won't have any problems with the next version . When I updated to PS CC 2017 my plug-ins (Nik Software) came with the new version automatically and I didn't have to re-install them.

I hope this helps https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...eshooting.html
    Very helpful. I just copied my Nik folder to both my new PS location and the common location. Hopefully the latter will take care of things in the future.