Thread: Mindshift - SidePath Bag

Real Name
    Erik

Mindshift - SidePath Bag

Hello,

I just returned from a 10 day trip and was my first chance to use my MindShift SidePath Bag

This was a family vacation where we had a 7 day cruise in the Eastern Mediterranean (Croatia, Italy, Greece, Turkey) and a few days in Venice. I wanted to have something that was easy to carry with family yet allow me to bring along a camera, lens, and filters. I have larger Photo Backpacks (Streetwalker Pro) but these are just not feasible for traveling with family and in the narrow streets of the cities. I have in the past been using my NorthFace day backpack, but was always frustrated when I wanted to get out my camera, or changes lens. etc. I had to dig (read as fully unpack) to find what I was looking for and nothing had a place of its own.

Overall, I was impressed with the Mindshift Side Path backpack. I was able to carry by D7200 with 16-85 and 70-300mm Lens, along with small pack of filters, SD Cards, and batteries. I still had room for a small jacket in the top compartment. I had the rest of my equipment back on the ship/AirBnB. The backpack does necessitate you make a decision of what you need before setting out for the day.

Access to the compartment for the camera was very easy and the backpack itself did not extend too far out so as to worry it being intrusive when in tight areas.

So far a winner for me.

Erik
    Last edited by TheBigE; 10th November 2016 at 12:05 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Mindshift - SidePath Bag

thanks for this - I'm looking at a very similar thing and have been weighing up various options. I think I have it down to this from Manfrotto which is 20 or 30l so a little bit larger but similar. I'll have a good read of the link you added to your post.

Real Name
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    thanks for this - I'm looking at a very similar thing and have been weighing up various options. I think I have it down to this from Manfrotto which is 20 or 30l so a little bit larger but similar. I'll have a good read of the link you added to your post.
    I looked at other backpacks before jumping onto the MindShift Bag - I really wanted something small and manageable and like the look of the MindShift SidePath.

I do have a PeakDesign Everyday Backpack (20L) coming this week. (Yes, I drank the koolaide...) I am interested to see how the Peak Design will fit into the rotation and maybe it will be a good compromise when one wants to carry a bit more equipment.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for the writeup Erik. I'm in the market for a new replacement camera backpack as my rather ancient Kata bag is reaching the end of its life. The one thing I loved about the Katas was that they had a bright yellow interior, which made it easy to find all those black camera things and frankly I don't love where the designs have gone since Kata was bought out by Manfrotto.

I had been researching the ThinkTank bags and was unaware that they had this line of bags as well. That is definitely another line I will explore.

I suspect my requirements are going to be a bit different in addition to using it to carry my gear when out and about I am also looking at convenience / capacity for carrying the gear on airplanes and handling a large tripod when on the ground.

Real Name
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Thanks for the writeup Erik. I'm in the market for a new replacement camera backpack as my rather ancient Kata bag is reaching the end of its life. The one thing I loved about the Katas was that they had a bright yellow interior, which made it easy to find all those black camera things and frankly I don't love where the designs have gone since Kata was bought out by Manfrotto.

I had been researching the ThinkTank bags and was unaware that they had this line of bags as well. That is definitely another line I will explore.

I suspect my requirements are going to be a bit different in addition to using it to carry my gear when out and about I am also looking at convenience / capacity for carrying the gear on airplanes and handling a large tripod when on the ground.

Manfred - You are welcome and Good luck with your search

I am hoping that the PeakDesign bag that I ordered will fit the bill for me to carry all my camera equipment and papers (passports, computers, family stuff) when traveling on plane, etc. Right now I have a normal daily backpack (papers, passports, computer, etc) and then my shoulder bag with my camera equipment. I end up lugging around a too many bags - I would like this to be streamlined a bit.

The Sidepath was small enough to put into my check luggage (empty of course) and not take up much room.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for posting this. I have two backpacks, neither of which is quite what I want. This one is too small for my purposes, but it has a number of features that I look for and often can't find in one package: external compartments for both a water bottle and a tripod, and the camera gear and other stuff in entirely different compartments. I'll look over their larger ones.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for posting this. Like others I'm always in search of the ideal pack. This one looks great for traveling with my basic tourista kit. Wasn't aware of this supplier either and will look at their other products for larger kit as well.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I just bought a Flipside version of a camera bag. I bought it because it says it can accommodate a 150-500mm lens. It did, but I have to eliminate my three other lenses out. Thanks for the link. I guess having different kind of camera bags depend on what the shoot is for that week if it is a holiday, or day trip where you want to just stick it with just one lens or two. I am on the lookout for a bigger bag, perhaps a roll on.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I just bought a Flipside version of a camera bag. I bought it because it says it can accommodate a 150-500mm lens. It did, but I have to eliminate my three other lenses out. Thanks for the link. I guess having different kind of camera bags depend on what the shoot is for that week if it is a holiday, or day trip where you want to just stick it with just one lens or two. I am on the lookout for a bigger bag, perhaps a roll on.
    I am at the age that a roll along bag or case is quite appreciated when traveling. However, I purchased a Lowepro roll along case for a trip to China but, could not take it with me.

The reason was that the Chinese airlines that I would take for my interior hops from city to city had a far less generous weight limitation for carry-on bags than the International airline on which I flew from California to China.

The local Chinese airlines allowed only a five kilogram (12-pounds) carry-on bag. The roll-on case weighed over eight pounds; leaving only four pounds for the gear. So, I reverted to my lightweight Lowepro backpack for point to point transport and used a small Tamrac bag and my photo vest while shooting...

Real Name
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I have two backpacks, neither of which is quite what I want. .
    I think that everybody has the same problem .... difficult to solve

Real Name
    Erik

Yes as I sit here I stare to the side of my desk

Thinktank Pro - Streetwalker
    Mindshift Gear - SidePath
    Peak Design - Everyday Backpack (20L)
    Lowepro 17L Sling Bag

The Peak Design just showed up this week from the KS campaign. I will say that it lives up to the hype a bit by being well thought out and designed. I am not a fan of the color choices (Ash or Charcoal) I went with Charcoal.

It will not double as a travel backpack through the airport, I think I will still need to carry a briefcase or something else. It may work as a day backpack and allow me to carry a bit more equipment.

Time will tell....