Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focusing issue with an IR filter

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Focusing issue with an IR filter

To Kathy’s advice I can add some personal experiences / tastes which might be useful for your consideration: I have been playing with an Hoya R72 Filter on my Fuji x100s.

1. Finale Image Conversion Options: Previously I’ve used IR Film (quite often), and I think because of that I like to convert all my IR digital images to B&W. Here, below is one example and there are a couple more here. The Exposure details on the images’ frame will give you an indication of the “loss” of light which requires compensation.

Focusing issue with an IR filter

2. Physical Stability: Certainly I ALWAYS use both a Tripod and Head, also a Cable Release (yes that’s the correct term – not a “Remote Release” - the Fuji X100s is very cute and sports the female thread for Cable Release to be attached into the Shutter Release Button – so old school and very tactile).

3. Focusing: The focusing is quite easy. I use Manual Focusing (with the Filter in place on the lens) and the Fuji’s function termed “Focus Peak Highlight”. Using you 70D in Live View Mode as Kathy suggested should work very well for you, I have done the same using a 5DMkII and I am almost certain that the Live View Function is the same as for your 70D.

4. Personally (I guess from an artistic point of view) I think that the few hours after sunrise are the most significantly rewarding for IR work.

IR is lots of fun.

WW

Image © AJ Group Pty Ltd Aust 1996~2016 WMW 1965~1996

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Focusing issue with an IR filter

Thank you very much for your helpful post William. I have a Hoya R72 too. When I start making trials I will upload them to CinC for your comments. I agree with you that IR is fun

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    To Kathy’s advice I can add some personal experiences / tastes which might be useful for your consideration: I have been playing with an Hoya R72 Filter on my Fuji x100s.

1. Finale Image Conversion Options: Previously I’ve used IR Film (quite often), and I think because of that I like to convert all my IR digital images to B&W. Here, below is one example and there are a couple more here. The Exposure details on the images’ frame will give you an indication of the “loss” of light which requires compensation.

Focusing issue with an IR filter

2. Physical Stability: Certainly I ALWAYS use both a Tripod and Head, also a Cable Release (yes that’s the correct term – not a “Remote Release” - the Fuji X100s is very cute and sports the female thread for Cable Release to be attached into the Shutter Release Button – so old school and very tactile).

3. Focusing: The focusing is quite easy. I use Manual Focusing (with the Filter in place on the lens) and the Fuji’s function termed “Focus Peak Highlight”. Using you 70D in Live View Mode as Kathy suggested should work very well for you, I have done the same using a 5DMkII and I am almost certain that the Live View Function is the same as for your 70D.

4. Personally (I guess from an artistic point of view) I think that the few hours after sunrise are the most significantly rewarding for IR work.

IR is lots of fun.

WW

Image © AJ Group Pty Ltd Aust 1996~2016 WMW 1965~1996

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12