Thread: Miss Mish

Real Name
    Dean

Miss Mish

I am working on shallow DOF portrait in daylight. This is the first of many to come. We didn't have much time so we did this shot in our front yard so excuse the boring back ground. Also, I didn't want too crop to close as I wanted to show clouds texture in shallow DOF (this shot was meant to be done in an open field). I think I am almost there with the lighting and contrast between sharpness and smoothness for this type of image but all C&C is welcome.

Miss Mish
    Last edited by dragon76; 23rd October 2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    John

Re: Miss Mish

I think for this particular style, use of flash and shallow DOF you are better off cropping tight, head and shoulders and a bit of foliage above the head. Nicely captured.

Main subject looks fine but I suspect you could lose a bit from the top and still retain that real life outdoors atmosphere.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Dean,

As you know, this is an area I am getting in to myself (on and off).

Could I ask about the flash details: e.g. which gun, power used (if known), what size soft box (or other modifier) you had on it to diffuse it? oh and the approx. distance between it and the subject?

I agree with John that it needs to have less 'wasted' background, but you have already explained that it was a rushed test shot in the front yard. Just remember, when in that field for the final shot, not to have your model/daughter slap bang in the centre (as a general rule). Your previous shots (of your wife) usually have good composition, so I'm sure I didn't need to say that

I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

TIA, Dave

Real Name
    Simon

Dean, I didn't think much of the pic until I zoomed in at full-size. It's a lovely portrait.

Real Name
    Maurice

Love the way she separated from the background. Nicely done.

Real Name
    Matt

Lovely portrait mate, I would crop a bit of the top though, as already suggested

Real Name
    Dave

Looks to me like you are very close to nailing it in respect to use of light and DOF. Almost feels 3D.

Dave

Real Name
    Grahame

Great result Dean, I look forward to your further ones using this approach.

Real Name
    Dean

Hi All

Thanks for all the comments. Next one will definitely be a much tighter cropped image.

Dave H

My set up:

Alienbees B800 @ approx 1/4 power.
    Octabox 100 cm with front diffuser & internal baffle; placement was about 1m in front/above model.
    @ ISO 200, 1/60s, 50mm lens @ f2.0

Regards

Dean

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dean - this is a technique I like a lot.

I find that the background looks best when the subject is properly exposed, but the background is underexposed by 1 stop to a maximum of 2 stops. Unless the foreground and background are handled "delicately" it is far too easy to have too much of a differential between the two an the image starts to look a bit unnatural. I find that your subject is just a touch too bright against the background.

One well known photographer who uses this technique very well is Joey L (Joey Lawrence), especially in his own projects, rather than in his commercial work.

https://joeyl.com/overview/category/quick-portfolio

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Dean - this is a technique I like a lot.

I find that the background looks best when the subject is properly exposed, but the background is underexposed by 1 stop to a maximum of 2 stops. Unless the foreground and background are handled "delicately" it is far too easy to have too much of a differential between the two an the image starts to look a bit unnatural. I find that your subject is just a touch too bright against the background.

One well known photographer who uses this technique very well is Joey L (Joey Lawrence), especially in his own projects, rather than in his commercial work.

https://joeyl.com/overview/category/quick-portfolio
    Hi Manfred

Thanks for sending the link to Joey Lawrence. His works are just outstanding. Especially with "advertisement for Cannon L series" image. I think I saw his images on 500px once but I've never heard of him until now. I wanted that dramatic lighting contrast which makes the subject pop from the BG but having said that, you are right, BG is probably a stop under. I was planning to shoot this when the sun is still at about 15-20 degree and BG would've had stronger highlight. I will have another go. Thanks for the comment.

Dean

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dean - be very subtle with what you are trying to do. The one thing I was taught during my flash courses is that you want to make your images look as natural as possible, with the viewer not knowing that you are using flash.

One common "amateur flash give away" is when the subject lit by flash seems far brighter than the background. That simple screams "flash was used" to the viewer.

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Dean - be very subtle with what you are trying to do. The one thing I was taught during my flash courses is that you want to make your images look as natural as possible, with the viewer not knowing that you are using flash.

One common "amateur flash give away" is when the subject lit by flash seems far brighter than the background. That simple screams "flash was used" to the viewer.
    Manfred

I know what you mean. I did a series of mimicking ambient light awhile back

Miss Mish

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by dragon76 View Post
    Manfred

I know what you mean. I did a series of mimicking ambient light awhile back
    You nailed the lighting on that one.

Real Name
    Dean