Thread: Majestic Mysore Palace

Real Name
    Gowtham

Majestic Mysore Palace

This is a famous Palace in the Indian city of Mysore. The palace is decorated with light bulbs that are lit daily after sunset.

CC welcome

Majestic Mysore Palace

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GowthamK; 18th October 2016 at 10:39 AM.

Real Name
    Maurice

Re: Majestic Mysore Palace

Nice image.

Real Name
    Gowtham

Quote Originally Posted by madcrow View Post
    Nice image.
    Thank you Maurice.

Any suggestions tips in general to improve anything in that image would be beneficial.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi,

Warm welcome to the CiC forums from me.

Quote Originally Posted by GowthamK View Post
    Any suggestions tips in general to improve anything in that image would be beneficial.
    It would be nice to see larger.

My impression is that it is perhaps just a bit too colourful, I might reduce the saturation a little (if it were mine).

It looks like you have levelled the shot on the major horizontal line (across the top of the arches), but certain other areas appear sloping - I'm not sure what the answer is, it may depend upon the cause and any corrections you have already applied.

Other than that, there is much to commend you on; the composition, exposure and foreground interest provided by the others viewing this impressive building.

Is Gowtham your name?
    If so, for clarity, could you do me a favour please?
    Could you click Settings (right at the top),
    then Edit Profile (on left)
    and put your first name in the Real Name field,
    then click the Save Changes button below and to right,
    this helps everyone give you more personal and relevant answers - thanks in advance.

All the best, Dave

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Welcome Goutham

Nice image. I have never seen Mysore palace in night lights

Real Name
    Gowtham

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi,

Warm welcome to the CiC forums from me.

It would be nice to see larger.

My impression is that it is perhaps just a bit too colourful, I might reduce the saturation a little (if it were mine).

It looks like you have levelled the shot on the major horizontal line (across the top of the arches), but certain other areas appear sloping - I'm not sure what the answer is, it may depend upon the cause and any corrections you have already applied.

Other than that, there is much to commend you on; the composition, exposure and foreground interest provided by the others viewing this impressive building.

Is Gowtham your name?
    If so, for clarity, could you do me a favour please?
    Could you click Settings (right at the top),
    then Edit Profile (on left)
    and put your first name in the Real Name field,
    then click the Save Changes button below and to right,
    this helps everyone give you more personal and relevant answers - thanks in advance.

All the best, Dave
    Thank you Dave. Happy to see someone seeing my pic and giving suggestions. Hoping to learn and grow along with all other fellow clickers.

I updated name Dave. I am Gowtham from Indian city of Chennai.

Real Name
    John

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Pete

Majestic Mysore Palace

Hi Gowtham,

I hope you don't mind, but I did a little tweak (and I'm hardly the expert). I left the saturation where it was (as it was probably part of the composition here?), and just moved the temp slider more toward blue and pulled the tint away from pink a little which brought the yellows down a little, and brought a deeper blue to the sky (it appears more of a natural colour temp now... maybe?).

I also tweaked the cropping to make it a little more symmetrical which is really important for an image that is using symmetry as its main compositional strength, even slightly out looks sloppy, though I think you did a pretty good job to start with. Slight straighten too, but as Dave said, there is something going on there, it still looks a little off (camera was probably not exactly squared with the building).

Cheers,

Pete

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Gowtham - the palace is a magnificent structure and finding the best shooting position to play up its size and beauty takes a bit of experimentation. While this is not a night shot, this shooting position works better for me than the straight on image you took.

Majestic Mysore Palace

Real Name
    Gowtham

Thank you Pete, i liked your edit, may be the palace lacks a little majesticness(?) since color temp is slightly cooler now.
    Sorry for missing the symmetry on the image i tried my best. For straightening of the image, i always have this trouble while clicking buildings/architectures that image never looked straight, any ways to overcome this. And what is this 'camera was probably not exactly squared with the building' some sort of technique???

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Gowtham - to get square shots of a building, your camera must be square to the building and level. If you are close, minor issues can be corrected in PP. I use the skew tool in Photoshop.

The issue with having the camera level will be getting the whole building in the frame (the top will get cropped off), which is where Perspective Correcting (Shift / Tilt) lenses come in. PC lenses are expensive and usually only work on high end full-frame cameras.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Gowtham,

To follow up on the getting a shot as 'square-on' as possible while shooting when using a 'normal' (non-PC) lens.

A "hot shoe level" (google it for results relevant to you in Chennai) is something I use to help me keep my camera level (left/right) and also the lens horizontal (up/down) when it matters (such as shooting a building) - even/especially if shooting handheld (but useful also if you tripod doesn't have a spirit level built-in).

Keeping the lens horizontal may result in being unable to get the top spires in the frame unless you use a wider angle of view (zoom out lens) or move further back. This will also result in some wasted pixels capturing lots of the ground between you and the building as these will need to be cropped off during post processing.

However, for certain buildings and surroundings, you may just have to aim upwards a bit (and correct in PS) though, but if the shot is correctly left/right level and you were exactly centred, this becomes far simpler.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Gowtham

Thank you for the suggestions Dave. I am in look out for 'Hot Shoe Level' at my place.

Cheers.