Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street photography - new experience for me

Real Name
    Bill

Street photography - new experience for me

Street photography is a genre that has passed me by in some decades of photography. I recently looked back at some "tourist record" shots I took in Istanbul in May and pulled a few that may lead to a rethink. Or should I stick to macro and birding

C&C appreciated.

Penny for them.

No title

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Street photography - new experience for me

I'm not a fan of that genre for the simple fact that it's rarely hung in the LR.

Real Name
    Bill

William, I take it that by "LR" you mean "Living Room" and not "Lightroom"?

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Correct!

Real Name
    John

I started street photography for the experience of using my camera; you don't have to pay your models, it evolved into the standard genre. As I got more into the style of SP I began to try to tell a story with my images, sometimes the message comes across and sometimes it doesn't.

The first image works as it is nicely exposed and you do wonder where exactly this shot was taken. If it were mine I'd try to get more detail out of the shadowy area to the right, if it doesn't add to the image I might consider cropping.

The second image is all about the woman in the hijab, she spotted you well and her thoughts on why you are taking the photograph is part of the image's story. The patterns and shapes make up the majority of this image's element and the people are secondary elements, however her gaze really pulls my attention.

Real Name
    Gary Cantwell

I very little knowledge of the genre, but I do like #2 for the same reasons as John, also I think the young man on the L/H side adds to the image.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Street photography takes more practise than most other genres, but once you get into it, it can be very satisfying.

Street Photography is very like wildlife shooting, except for larger subjects in most cases.

The first one works well but I'm not so keen on the second simply due to the position of that large handrail.

Real Name
    Bill

Thank you all for the feedback - very helpful.

John, both were taken by the entrance to an underground/metro station in Istanbul. Your comment on the shadowy area is spot on - thanks.

Gary - yes, I liked the man/left and woman/right aspect.

Geoff - I think that the hand rail is what makes this shot - it sort of isolates/fences off the people. It is a safety rail that borders the entry to the subway (you can see it in the first shot) and viewing the scene from the "people" side gives an entirely different look - just some students meeting up to go to school. The view shown + the B&W created a tension for me.

Overall, these different takes have captured my imagination and I may try some more of the genre.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am of the same opinion as John (Shadowman) and a little bit of Geoff's. I like #1 too as it is very colourful. The second one, not so much. But do not judge my comment as somewhat careless as I am looking at it from my viewpoint. I have not really tried street photography and would love to do so.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I started street photography for the experience of using my camera; you don't have to pay your models, it evolved into the standard genre. As I got more into the style of SP I began to try to tell a story with my images, sometimes the message comes across and sometimes it doesn't.

The first image works as it is nicely exposed and you do wonder where exactly this shot was taken. If it were mine I'd try to get more detail out of the shadowy area to the right, if it doesn't add to the image I might consider cropping.

The second image is all about the woman in the hijab, she spotted you well and her thoughts on why you are taking the photograph is part of the image's story. The patterns and shapes make up the majority of this image's element and the people are secondary elements, however her gaze really pulls my attention.
    I think it grows on you. Oneof those things that once you start you learn to appreciate how muck work and luck tohse shots take JMHO.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    . . . I may try some more of the genre.
    I think that you should.

Consider using the middle to the wider end of your Standard Zoom Lens and not the telephoto end, This will (hopefully) force you to get much closer to the Main Subject(s) to achieve similar Framing.

Both images, apropos the Perspective, are a bit too flat, especially for such busy and complex scenes.

Also, consider using a much larger aperture, especially for captures like Image #1 - even a little hint of Subject Isolation would benefit, again mainly because the scene is so complex (i.e. geometrically) and so busy (i.e. many elements).

Nearer to F/4 would be much better than using F/16.

WW

Real Name
    Bill

Bill, thank you for the encouragement and advice, especially about subject isolation - something that I got completely wrong by trying to get as much as possible of the overall setting sharp!

Real Name
    Dan

Birds

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    . . . thank you for the encouragement and advice . . .
    I got it completely wrong when I tasted my first Scotch Whisky - then after time - and practice - I learned how to do it more properly: I am still not an expert, but my main point of "encouragement" is, you can only get better at it, by getting out and doing it.

The most difficult element, for many Photographers when they are developing their Street Photography Skills is overcoming the imagined and perceived barrier of being "too close".

Be brave . . . from my memory you had something like a 28 to 85 mounted a D750 ? I think? ... use it at 35ish to 50 ish and get that camera into the action and the emotion.

WW

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Bill, you may have a look at some of my work here in my Street album on Flikr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsksdddMf
    Not all are to everyone's taste, but they please me. I mostly use a normal to medium tele focal length (50 to 105mm equivalent.) I was just as unsure as you when I started carrying my camera around the streets 50 years ago. Now it comes naturally. It just takes practice. As Bill said, "get out and do it!"

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks for the link Graham. An interesting assortment that I enjoyed viewing. Had a peek at the macro, bird and landscape albums too.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Bill, you may have a look at some of my work here in my Street album on Flikr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsksdddMf
    Not all are to everyone's taste, but they please me. I mostly use a normal to medium tele focal length (50 to 105mm equivalent.) I was just as unsure as you when I started carrying my camera around the streets 50 years ago. Now it comes naturally. It just takes practice. As Bill said, "get out and do it!"
    Graham, I viewed your Flicker Gallery and consider the images absolutely marvelous, just what "street photography should be"...

IMO, street photography is a rather special genre that demands the skills of an artistic photographer combined with a photojournalist...

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Glad I could provide some inspiration, Bill.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Graham, I viewed your Flicker Gallery and consider the images absolutely marvelous, just what "street photography should be"...

IMO, street photography is a rather special genre that demands the skills of an artistic photographer combined with a photojournalist...
    Thank you, Richard. One other necessary skill is the ability to recognise the decisive moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast