Thread: What is framing or frame in photography

What is framing or frame in photography

after long once again,now am doing wedding photography. my seniors telling that your frame or framing is not good, try to improve it, i google but i cant get satisfied or clear ( as of my level) answer, seniors are not ready to reveal the stuff, so i wanna know WHAT IS FRAMING, AND HOW TO FIX OR SET, WHAT ARE THE PARAMETERS OF GOOD AND BEST FRAMING. guys looking forward your answer, in a week i have one wedding function.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: What is framing or frame in photography

Post some examples so we can discuss specific issues or Google Composition instead of framing as it may be more specific.

That aside I hope the wedding you have taken on is for a friend and not a paying client or at the very least whoever they are they're happy with the example albums you have shown them.
    Last edited by Black Pearl; 7th October 2016 at 02:55 AM.

Real Name
    Dave

There's a good starting point right here: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...-of-thirds.htm

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Can you not compare your previous shoot with those of many on-line wedding examples and "spot the difference"?
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th October 2016 at 06:43 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Davidderic was spot on with the reference to the composition tutorial here at at CiC. Framing is just another way of saying how you "compose" your image. Framing or composition (however you call it) is after adequate technical quality the most important aspect in photography. The reason I place that minimum technical quality ahead of composition is that, framing/composition, however creative or good, is of no avail if your image is too far under/over exposed, out of focus and and/or unsharp from camera movement.

Some aspects of framing or composition may be improved in post production editing but, as the old expression goes; "You can't make a silk purse out of a cow's ear" It is best to get your image as good as possible in the camera and only use PP for a bit of polishing. OTOH, some PP, such as a bit of sharpening is necessary for almost every image.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

As Robin has suggested, seeing examples would be the most useful for the members here to give you some advice / make suggestions. As Richard has suggested, it is what you see when you look through the viewfinder and is a significant part of what we refer to as "composition". Framing would not include effects like exposure, depth of field impact or shutter speed selection impact have on the final image, which are also part of composition.

In general, what you are being told is that people don't like how you are taking the pictures. If you want to be a photographer, that is critical, so this is something you had better figure out on how to improve very quickly, if you have a shoot coming up soon.

Real Name
    Dan

Others have already explained what framing is. So I'll simply add one more thing to consider.

Perhaps one of the most difficult aspects of "framing" shots well is learning to consider the entire scene when looking through the viewfinder. The two most obvious issues are filling the frame adequately with the subject and avoiding distracting objects in the background. When our minds are concentrated on a subject we often mentally magnify the subject when in-fact the subject is very small in the frame. Also when concentrating our minds filter a lot of information (typically in the background) that the camera sensor collects.

If you have not mastered these basic concepts and are shooting weddings for hire you stand the risk of ruining your reputation before you even get started as a professional. You may consider trying to find work as a second shooter with an existing business that shoots weddings. It may not pay much but the experience will be valuable.

Real Name
    Denny

What story are you telling? Is what's in the picture part of the story or not part of the story. Keep the parts that are and get rid of the parts that aren't.......

To me framing is the presentation of your subject and their environment within which they will be seen in the final outcome. In that respect I consider several elements:

1. What actual frame proportion will your images be seen within? Or another way of putting it, what is the output? Is it a 7x9, 8x10, metric A3 or A4 print, or within the increasingly more popular digital space: 16x9 or 16x10 to be viewed on digital devices. To me this is significant as, when looking through the viewfinder I may not be seeing the scene within that proportion. For example, I may look through a viewfinder with a 4x3 proportion, but if I want 16x9 proportions I am going to have to consider allowing extra space within the image to allow for cropping. Quite a few newer DSLRs now offer guides within the viewfinder to set an appropriate outline as to how such an image will be and allow me to accurately place my subjects.

2. I need to know what I am trying to say with the image. The best images convey or generate an emotional reaction, e.g. am I trying to express an emotion between the subjects, such as the bride and groom, or generate an emotion with a great image of a cute child. For that I recommend studying body language and examine great people photos, and obviously great wedding ones to ask what the image expresses with the body positions in relation to each other and within the context of their physical and lighting environments. The strongest images make a strong statement by isolating or guiding the eye to one element we want our viewer to focus on - the classic "less is more".

3. Since we use light to show our subjects, I need to know how I lighting will fall within my frame to present my message. Dramatic lighting, such a back-lighting that will silhouette with a dramatic contrast, or might generate a warm halo around a subject if supplemented by fill flash or reflectors. If possible I visit the venue at the time the event will occur to scout out spots and the light I want to use. The time of day may have a major impact on my images: I recently went to a wedding I had been asked to photograph as a volunteer. It was bang on midday on a very sunny day, so there was harsh light right over the subject. Slightly to my surprise another photographer had also been asked to photograph the event (they claimed to be a pro.). To my amazement the other photographer, using only available light and no reflectors, had the party stand in the open producing harsh contrast and eye-socket shadows. They also chose a background with similar light to the subjects and a lot of clutter. When it was my turn I took them into the shadows under large trees and was able to control the light and in particular the contrast to produce what were, for me, much more flattering images, it also meant the subjects weren't squinting or wearing sun glasses, they were also visibly more relaxed.

4. I consider the politics of the human interaction. Weddings often carry underlying stresses for attendees to be recognized, and you need to have a hit-list of "must shoot" subjects, embracing the bridal party, other family members in structured poses and candid shots of all attendees throughout the event. Just be careful who you photograph - without identifying himself before or after, a friend of mine photographed a couple of guests in a passionate embrace, thinking they must have been swept into the romance of the situation. Maybe they were but unfortunately they were each married to someone else and when that photo appeared on his site for orders it created a storm that saw two families broken and a bad memory for the wedding couple.

In the end, like any kind of photography, you need to get examples of great shots and study them critically and analytically to understand why the image works and how it was constructed.
    Last edited by Tronhard; 7th October 2016 at 05:28 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

There is one other aspect of shooting people which I don't think has been covered in all the excellent replies above ...

That is where to frame so you don't cut across body parts or limbs (with the edge of viewfinder - and hence image) in the 'worst' places.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by lingaesh View Post
    . . . now am doing wedding photography. my seniors telling that your frame or framing is not good, try to improve it, . . i cant get satisfied or clear ( as of my level) answer, seniors are not ready to reveal the stuff, so i wanna know WHAT IS FRAMING, AND HOW TO FIX OR SET, WHAT ARE THE PARAMETERS OF GOOD AND BEST FRAMING.
    If “seniors” means advanced and experienced Photographers or Teachers of Photography and they are using the term technically as trained in Photographic Theory, then they are referring to what appears and how it appears in the viewfinder of the camera, when you make the shot.

To put FRAMING in a procedural sense:
    Once the ELEMENTS of the SCENE are in their appropriate places, the Photographer or Cinematographer should first select the CAMERA VIEWPOINT (i.e. where the camera is to be located); this creates the required PERSPECTIVE of “The Shot”.

Then s/he selects the Focal Length of the Lens and this creates the required FRAMING of “The Shot”.

Some common terms for “framing” are: “wide shot”; “medium shot”; “ tight shot”; and for Portraiture framing, common terms are: “head shot”; “half shot”; “full length shot”.

“Framing” is not to be confused with “cropping”. Framing is all of what you get in the negative or the image file; “cropping” is what you do in the Darkroom or in Post Production.

It is possible that your ‘seniors’ might be referring to the appearance of your final images – in which case they might be referring to your “cropping” and not your “framing”.

However, as you are relating this question specifically to Wedding Photography one adage which I advocate in my Master Classes is to “frame wide and crop later”: this is especially useful when you are shooting on the hop and under pressure of time - this might be what your ‘seniors’ are getting at – I don’t know - your 'seniors' might not be using textbook technical terms and might just be referring to the 'framing' of your end result, final image - i.e. as many have mentioned the "composition" of your final image.

It is a shame and IMO, quite a poor performance, that these 'seniors' are quick to advise what is wrong but will not explain 'the why' and 'the how' - perhaps you might reconsider how 'senior' these folk might be and how much notice you should take of their opinions and perhaps question why they are so quick to give opinions but not advise as to possible solutions or even to take the time to explain their opinions.

In this case and as already mentioned, some sample images (BOTH the original file AND the final image) would benefit much better and more detailed responses from the members here.

WW