Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A back lit post processing exercise

Real Name
    John

A back lit post processing exercise

I know some people like having a go at what can be difficult shots and this one cropped up on another forum. It would be interesting to see what can be done with it.

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/raw-challenge-backlit/1676

I had one go from the jpg and another from raw.

John
    -

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: A back lit post processing exercise

Are you not going to post your results?

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

They are in the link.

John
    -

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

This is one of those issues that should be fixed when taking the photograph, rather than trying to patch it in post.

Back lighting is one of those classical examples where photographers have been using fill light (flash or reflector) well before PP software was invented.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    This is one of those issues that should be fixed when taking the photograph, rather than trying to patch it in post.

Back lighting is one of those classical examples where photographers have been using fill light (flash or reflector) well before PP software was invented.
    That may well be correct, but it misses the point of John's post.

If memory serves me right, some years ago there used to be a regular PP challenge here; I think it was posted by Donald.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

Flash fill is a relatively simple evolution which will most often produce excellent results with back-lit subjects. That is why I require all my camera/flash combinations (those used outdoors anyway) to be capable of High Speed Sync or whatever their manufacturer designates the capability to sync at higher than the normal sync speed to be called (I think that Nikon calls it Auto FP Sync)...

Shooting at 1/200 or 1/250 second as your fastest shutter speed will not always allow you the exposure you desire; especially it will not allow you to use a wide aperture outdoors.

When focal plane shutters of film cameras usually could sync at 1/60 to 1/125 second and no faster, I would try to use a camera with a between the lens shutter allowing a far faster sync. In fact there were at least some single lend reflex cameras (Bronica was one but, not the only) that used a special between the lens shutter lens to negate the sync restrictions of a focal plane shutter.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Shooting at 1/200 or 1/250 second as your fastest shutter speed will not always allow you the exposure you desire; especially it will not allow you to use a wide aperture outdoors.
    That's what ND filters are all about and the main reason I shoot with them

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    When focal plane shutters of film cameras usually could sync at 1/60 to 1/125 second and no faster, I would try to use a camera with a between the lens shutter allowing a far faster sync. In fact there were at least some single lend reflex cameras (Bronica was one but, not the only) that used a special between the lens shutter lens to negate the sync restrictions of a focal plane shutter.
    Both Hasselblad and Rollei used the in-lens leaf shutters as well, many years ago. It makes for very expensive lenses, which is why these were restricted to medium format cameras used by the pros. Right now Phase One offers Schneider-Kreuznach lenses with leaf shutters and rumour has it, they bought out Mamiya in order to be able to bring out this feature in their own line of lenses down the road.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products...ms/Lenses.aspx

These cameras and lenses can set you back as much as a luxury car can, so remain out of reach for all but the high end pro photographers.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post

If memory serves me right, some years ago there used to be a regular PP challenge here; I think it was posted by Donald.

Cheers.
    Philip
    Understood, Philip. The point I was making is that "getting it right in camera" is a good way to avoid all that extra work, and photographers have been doing so ever since I can remember.

The exercise of doing in post is something we have all had to handle at some point or other.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post

Cheers.
    Philip
    That's correct Philip but it seems no one wants to give it a try. Being a glutton for punishment I might try another way of sorting it out. Good practice if nothing else. The shot probably could have been taken via bracketing. The difficult part in that respect would be the extreme lighting on the edges of the dogs fur but maybe not.

John
    -

Real Name
    Philip

OK John, I'll have a go. This is from playing around with the JPEG in PaintShop Pro X8:

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Okay - my quick go at it...

Real Name
    Robin

And one from me...

Real Name
    John

Trying to get a sunset feel I did one from the jpg first.

And then one from raw. More difficult really because the way I did it needs 2 of the packages I use and I have to anticipate the effects of the 2nd.

Personally I found it an interesting shot as I feel that with a bit of cropping / maybe remove the tower it could make a decent picture. Maybe not every bodies taste. Fairly pleased with the dog colour.

Neither took long especially the jpg and if I was there I would have taken the shot too.

John
    -
    Last edited by ajohnw; 4th October 2016 at 09:28 AM.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    Personally I found it an interesting shot as I feel that with a bit of cropping / maybe remove the tower it could make a decent picture. Maybe not every bodies taste. Fairly pleased with the dog colour.

Neither took long especially the jpg and if I was there I would have taken the shot too.

John
    -
    I agree, John.

It is, of course, possible that we might not always have a flash and/or a reflector with us on a casual stroll. So attempting to recover something from a difficult shot is surely a worthwhile exercise.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    Chris

Bracketing is never a bad technique and with a shot like this, a simple way to not use a reflector car or fill flash.

Real Name
    Robin

Gawd almighty John those two results are madder than a box of frogs

Real Name
    John

Can't say think much of yours Robin. I wasn't aiming for a flat wishy washy shot.

I just tried fake HDR out of curiosity but looking now I should have damped down blue in the grass a bit when it was all together or maybe a touch less green.

John
    -

Real Name
    Robin

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ccphoto View Post
    Bracketing is never a bad technique and with a shot like this, a simple way to not use a reflector car or fill flash.
    I think so too as flash would probably leave some lighting problems from the dog to horizon. Bracketing would probably make it easier to get the dog colour correct.

I use open source software from principle plus running Linux but I have been tempted to buy Coral After Shot Pro for situations like this as it makes local colour adjustment pretty easy and quick. I used levels on channels to balance the last one and then curves to trim it up but was probably taking more notice of the sky and dog than the grass. The red halo under the sun should have been removed as well. For me cut paste and blend would do that with my cranky software.

John
    -

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    You've turned a young dog into one that's old and grey Robin. There is a separate shot of the dog further down the link. Even out 10 year old shepard isn't that grey.

John
    -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast