Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Embarrassing when you don't recognize your own flag

Embarrassing when you don't recognize your own flag

I am one of a group teaching a course on photography at the moment. I took up the challenge of those who said you have to have the latest and best kit to take decent photos - the "pixel tech peepers". I was frustrating because it was discouraging those with cheaper gear, making them think that right away they were doomed to poor results. So I decided to do a show using some of my less glamorous and older gear, producing photos I am happy with - going back over 12 years in DSLR and down to tiny P&S bodies through the early Canon EOSM body.

So I was down in Victoria Harbour taking night shots with my Canon EOS M, using both the 18-55 kit lens and a 24-105L lens (to make the point that the lens can make a huge difference). We have been having a visit from our royal family, specifically the Duke and Dutchess of Cambridge and kids, so the place was looking particularly spruce, but was also lit with extra colours. I was focused on an old ferry building that now houses a couple of restaurants and an art gallery that was covered in a red and white light.

Beside me an American visitor and I began a discussion: we were both ex-pro's and just enjoyed the art, but in the course of the interchange he mentioned how he had captured the projection of the Canadian Flag on the building. So, the penny dropped! Slightly embarrassed to be told by a foreigner how to recognize my own flag, I was slightly mollified to learn he had been told by a city official! Anyway see if you can see the flag with any ease...

The Canadian Flag:

I think they have the maple leaf too high up on the building...
    Last edited by Tronhard; 30th September 2016 at 07:42 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Embarrassing when you don't recognize your own flag

Could have fooled me. Nice colours, but I would have been a long time trying to work that one out given the windows and structural elements on the building.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Embarrassing when you don't recognize your own flag

The difficulty of recognizing the intended image on the building reminds me of the age-old truism that if the joke has to be explained, it's probably not an effective joke.