Thread: Mélancolie

Real Name
    Fernando Cascais

Mélancolie

Last edited by kaskais; 7th October 2016 at 10:20 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Mélancolie

An image where you are badly blowing out both the highlights and shadow detail is not going to work well. This is a screen shot of the image in ACR. The histogram shows this issue quite clearly. The scene exceeds the dynamic range of what your camera can capture.

Mélancolie

Real Name
    Dave

I like this image although personally I would have cropped out some of the dead space both above and below.

Dave

Mélancolie

Real Name
    Binnur

The image conveys the feeling of melancolie as your title mentions Fernando, so I don't think anything is wrong with the image although it may not be correct technically If I were you I wouldn't get angry with anyone in this forum as they suggest cropping, cloning or making technical corrections . Because the main goal of CinC is teaching/learning photography technically and new members are usually beginners who would like to learn this kind of stuff. In my opinion your images are different and they have to be understood and judged differently than the images which are taken and processed according to the general rules of photography. But, please don't expect everybody to act in this way because of the reasons I have just mentioned

PS. I made this comment because I saw Fernando's comment which asked why people make comments technically instead of trying to understand the feeling that his images convey, but I think he deleted his post So, this post is just a small explanation for Fernando .
    Last edited by bnnrcn; 23rd September 2016 at 06:36 PM.

Real Name
    John

Nice use of layers.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    An image where you are badly blowing out both the highlights and shadow detail is not going to work well. This is a screen shot of the image in ACR. The histogram shows this issue quite clearly. The scene exceeds the dynamic range of what your camera can capture.

Mélancolie
    It's always interesting to look at the image that created unique histograms, I say unique because when you analyze the image the tones usually don't match the peaks; at least in my interpretation of a histogram.

Real Name
    Maurice

Fernando, on a headstone "where you are now I once was, where I am now you will be". That what your image say to me. +10 for Birrur comments.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    It's always interesting to look at the image that created unique histograms, I say unique because when you analyze the image the tones usually don't match the peaks; at least in my interpretation of a histogram.
    John - with histograms, I generally pay a lot of attention to what is happening on the extreme left and extreme right side. When we see images with such a huge loss of shadow detail and highlight detail, it simply is not a well done image.

Here is another ACR view - the blue areas show anything assigned a value of 0 (pure black) and the red shows a value of 355 (pure white).

Mélancolie

I know people will put out the "this is art" argument. I won't comment on that as that is a personal view. What I will say is that this is not a well done photograph, from a "proper exposure" standpoint.

Real Name
    Sergio

Fernando, a lovely shot. I personally prefer a photo like this one that has meaning whether it is correct or incorrect technically.

Sergio

Real Name
    Ted

I too like the image but would crop quite a lot out of the top and a bit out of the bottom, thereby bringing the horizon & head to the lower harmonic mean (about 38% up from the bottom).

Real Name
    Ole

I like it a lot. I agree with Dave regarding some heavy cropping and also with the 'putting aside the technicals.' It is about images not technicals every time. That is only my opinion.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Bill

Excellent points binnur.

Many moons ago when I spent the days at work, and not on taking/processing/commenting on photographs, one of my main activities was conducting technical audits and training auditors. We had 2 or 3 absolute "musts", one of which is that an audit should first and foremost be regarded as a search for opportunities for improvement, and that is also the best way to regard feedback on images posted here. Comments and suggestions present the original poster with another perspective and therefore opportunities to think about something different that may improve the image; whether the original posters agree or not doesn't matter - it's their image after all, but at least give some thought to what is said and always take it in a positive spirit.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    The image conveys the feeling of melancolie as your title mentions Fernando, so I don't think anything is wrong with the image although it may not be correct technically If I were you I wouldn't get angry with anyone in this forum as they suggest cropping, cloning or making technical corrections . Because the main goal of CinC is teaching/learning photography technically and new members are usually beginners who would like to learn this kind of stuff. In my opinion your images are different and they have to be understood and judged differently than the images which are taken and processed according to the general rules of photography. But, please don't expect everybody to act in this way because of the reasons I have just mentioned

PS. I made this comment because I saw Fernando's comment which asked why people make comments technically instead of trying to understand the feeling that his images convey, but I think he deleted his post So, this post is just a small explanation for Fernando .
    I agree entirely. As an image it works for me although I might crop it as others have suggested but this is a representation of what the photographer saw and felt and deserves to be be accepted as such.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post

Binnur,

You are correct and I believe Fernando never responds to comments, so while I hope he reads my comments I make them not so much for a response but for a explanation for making them.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    John - with histograms, I generally pay a lot of attention to what is happening on the extreme left and extreme right side. When we see images with such a huge loss of shadow detail and highlight detail, it simply is not a well done image.

Here is another ACR view - the blue areas show anything assigned a value of 0 (pure black) and the red shows a value of 355 (pure white).

Mélancolie

I know people will put out the "this is art" argument. I won't comment on that as that is a personal view. What I will say is that this is not a well done photograph, from a "proper exposure" standpoint.
    Manfred,

I would view the histogram the same, but I would expect the shadows to go black for a silhouette, as for the sky area on an overcast day; which I suspect was the case in this image I really be concerned that if printing that area would be too much of an attention getter.