Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tamron 150-600mm

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Tamron 150-600mm

Over the years, Romy has experimented with using multiple tele-converters in shooting his wonderful bird images.

Tell you the truth, I haven't paid that much attention to his surfing photography.

Here is one setup that I remember.

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/59586426

He has since sold the Sigmonster and works with other lenses.

I worked for a long time in the Subic Bay, Philippines area, where Romy has done much of his photography. I never ventured into the jungle there. I don't really regret not doing so because I thought that it might be dangerous. Anyway, at the time, I was shooting film with a Canon DSLR and the longest lens I owned was 200mm.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Over the years, Romy has experimented with using multiple tele-converters in shooting his wonderful bird images.

Tell you the truth, I haven't paid that much attention to his surfing photography.

Here is one setup that I remember.

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/image/59586426

He has since sold the Sigmonster and works with other lenses.

I worked for a long time in the Subic Bay, Philippines area, where Romy has done much of his photography. I never ventured into the jungle there. I don't really regret not doing so because I thought that it might be dangerous. Anyway, at the time, I was shooting film with a Canon DSLR and the longest lens I owned was 200mm.
    That is a monster.

Real Name
    John

Once they get that big maybe an apo telescope would be a better option. I doubt if the AF would work on that set up due to light levels. It wouldn't on the telescope either.

I have one. F5.95 655mm focal length. It's about that long too. Weight 4.5kg. There is a lens to put near the focal plane to flatten the image as well to cover a 35mm frame. Coarse and extra fine focusing. There could be a problem these days. It might need a camera with an anti aliasing filter. No F stops other than wide open or fit a smaller aperture to the front which has am 110mm dia lens.

The one I have isn't made any more but I think this ones still is. A bit more expensive than mine.

http://www.williamoptics.com/telescopes/flt110_spec.php

I tried to find a picture of the "lens" that the paparazzi sometimes use if they really can't get close. Royals on holiday etc. Meade SCT's. Google will show what these are. Available in all sorts of sizes but I understand the 10" F10 is popular as it's "manageable" the 14" is a bit heavy. 10" f10 = 100" focal length, 2,540mm. Near diffraction limited. People have bought the 6 and 8" F10 versions for bird watching. F10 might not need an anti aliasing filter.

I've often thought of trying this with a smaller telescope and did have one that might be suitable. A 75mm F6 but still heavy. It wasn't being used though so I sold it.

John
    -

Real Name
    John

John,

Have you tried using that 655mm for video?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12