Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 5D Mk IV: reviews are starting

Real Name
    Dan

5D Mk IV: reviews are starting

Sigh. I really had hoped that I could avoid lusting after the 5D Mark IV. After all, my 5D III is a fabulous camera, and when it doesn't produce what I want, the problem is usually, to paraphrase Ansel Adams, the 12 inches behind the viewfinder.

But it is not to be. I am not going to buy one, but I am apparently doomed to want one.

I managed not to get too excited about the higher resolution, but now it's come out that Canon has adopted the Sony strategy of building the analog-to-digital conversion into the chip, resulting in much improved dynamic range. According to DPReview, it's nearly but not quite ISO-less and comes close to the Nikon 810. And while I haven't yet seen tests of the new 24-105 f/4--my most used lens--Canon has released MTF charts, and they suggest that will be a marked improvement over the one I have.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: 5D Mk IV: reviews are starting

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Sigh. I really had hoped that I could avoid lusting after the 5D Mark IV. After all, my 5D III is a fabulous camera, and when it doesn't produce what I want, the problem is usually, to paraphrase Ansel Adams, the 12 inches behind the viewfinder.

But it is not to be. I am not going to buy one, but I am apparently doomed to want one.

I managed not to get too excited about the higher resolution, but now it's come out that Canon has adopted the Sony strategy of building the analog-to-digital conversion into the chip, resulting in much improved dynamic range. According to DPReview, it's nearly but not quite ISO-less and comes close to the Nikon 810. And while I haven't yet seen tests of the new 24-105 f/4--my most used lens--Canon has released MTF charts, and they suggest that will be a marked improvement over the one I have.
    Yes Dan they started this technology with the 1DX II and my guess is that it will filter down to the lower level range as new models are released. I think this has happened with the 80D.

The other interesting thing about the 5D IV is the dual pixel technology which allows focus tweaking in pp. I think it remains to be seen how effective this is and apparently you have to use DPP to get the benefit of it at present.

Exciting times for Canonites!

Dave