Thread: Still images and video with 7D MarkII

Real Name
    Richard

Still images and video with 7D MarkII

I need to cover the arrival at Korean Airlines freight terminal at Los Angeles International Airport of the twenty dogs which our Maltese Rescue California is rescuing from a Korean Meat Market, as well as our initial processing and vet checks of these dogs.

I usually shoot still images with a DSLR and shoot stills with a dedicated Panasonic video camera. However, in this case, I would imagine that the activity will be so hectic that using the two cameras might be counter productive

My idea first idea is to use my Canon 7D Mark II for both stills and video.

The video will be to post on our Facebook and Website as well as to post on YouTube. Stills will be offered to local media as well as for posting on Facebook and our Website.

I'd like to shoot the still images in RAW but, if I absolutely need speed (if a local media wants them) I will shoot JPEG. Shooting RAW + JPEG might be the way to go regarding stills..

What is the best way to download the images and video from my 7DII and what would be the best workflow for editing the video. I will be needing just a few clips a couple of minutes long, each.

However I am seriously considering shooting the videos using my iPhone and editing in iMovie. That way, I would shoot my A-roll first with the organization president (who has a very nice demeanor) giving a short blurb about how we rescued the dogs from deplorable conditions and what our ultimate aim for the dogs will be. This would be done in front of a distinctive airport or Korean Air background before the dogs arrive.

Then when the dogs arrive, I will shoot the B roll and cut it into the A roll. The advantage of that process would be speed. I could edit on the run and have the short film done by the time I arrive home in the San Diego area. I could send the video clips to any media that way...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Still images and video with 7D MarkII

Whilst I admire what you are doing, Richard, I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice in relation to the questions you pose. I have never used the video function on my 7DMkII and do not envisage doing so. So video is a mysterious animal to me.
    Last edited by Donald; 24th August 2016 at 08:08 PM.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Sorry Richard, I can't advise either, I'm like Donald. I do not think I have ever switched the video option on

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    I do not think I have ever switched the video option on
    I turned it on one time. That was by accident when I was in my very dark makeshift studio and couldn't see the various controls on the camera.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 24th August 2016 at 09:13 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Richard - I find that shooting and merging video shot with two different cameras that don't support the same size (format) and quality does not work all that well. If you can, shoot everything with one camera and that will simplify your editing work enormously. I hope that you have decent sound recording capabilities as well.

Real Name
    Denny

Not familiar with that camera but have used a Nikon D5300. I frequently shoot stills and video intermixed on the same memory card. The memory card goes into Adobe Bridge and on to Photoshop where the stills and videos can be manipulated.
    It's no problem to deal with each in sequence.

Real Name
    Ken

I have a 7D mk2 but I haven't tried concurrent still and movie shooting, but suggest that you have a look at manual, chapter 9 (page 313) through to 327. Stills will be saved on one card, while movie is on the other. You may need to download the full manual (548 pages, if you haven't done so already.) A tripod is recommended for movie. I recall that you are limited to 30 mins recording.
    Probably easier to use only one camera with dual functions than two cameras.

Both the video and still can be edited with Lightroom 4 or above.
    Last edited by Ken MT; 25th August 2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: editing

Real Name
    Richard

I have just learned that the dogs are arriving in two batches. One batch this Monday and another batch on Tuesday.

My wife and I will need to be there on both days since, Judy will be inserting microchips in the dogs.

This will give me two days to shoot. I might do stills on one day and video on the next.

I will carry both my dedicated Panasonic video camera as well as my 7D II with 17-55mm lens for stills. My decision regarding which format (stills or video) I will concentrate on depends on which format is needed first...

I will, of course bring a tripod as well as a battery operated LED light and a remote microphone.

Not bringing the right equipment can be a problem. Last evening I met with a couple of members of one of my photo clubs at a pedestrian freeway overpass which gives a decent view of arriving airliners on their approach to San Diego International Airport. Arriving in San Diego, the planes fly very close to and below the tops of downtown buildings. I have been wanting this shot for a long time...

The overpass has chain link fencing to protect the vehicles passing under from having objects thrown at them. I have wanted to shoot from this location which I have passed under many times while driving and thought that it would be a good vantage point for the shot that I wanted. I have never actually walked the overpass because of the chain link fencing. However, my friends told me that photographers had cut several holes in the fence for photography.

I took my 17-55mm and 100-400mm lenses which I thought would be perfect for this location. The lenses would have been great EXCEPT... the holes in the chain link were too small to fit either of these lenses to stick through. My 70-200mm f/4L lens "might" have fit but, I didn't have it with me.

I will be sure that I don't cut myself short on gear for the dog shoot

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    The overpass has chain link fencing to protect the vehicles passing under from having objects thrown at them.
    And surely to prevent people from committing suicide by jumping off the bridge into the traffic.

Real Name
    Bruce

Richard, my recollection is that you used to have two 7Di's. Will you be taking two bodies for this shoot or will you have enough to carry with the video camera and the 7Dii?

Real Name
    Ken

The overpass has chain link fencing to protect the vehicles passing under from having objects thrown at them. I have wanted to shoot from this location which I have passed under many times while driving and thought that it would be a good vantage point for the shot that I wanted. I have never actually walked the overpass because of the chain link fencing. However, my friends told me that photographers had cut several holes in the fence for photography.

I took my 17-55mm and 100-400mm lenses which I thought would be perfect for this location. The lenses would have been great EXCEPT... the holes in the chain link were too small to fit either of these lenses to stick through. My 70-200mm f/4L lens "might" have fit but, I didn't have it with me.

Don't you carry wire cutters in your camera bag?