Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving image quality

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Improving image quality

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    Hi all, I'm back for more mentoring.

First off a parameter. I am primarily interested in monitor rather than print image quality. But I'm curious (curious means no where near buying) what equipment would I need reach the next plateau of monitor image quality?
    Brian
    My two pence worth, Brian, since we appear to have similar points of view.

The following may receive howls of protest:

With my poor vision and available space, an sRGB true 8-bit monitor is more than adequate for my needs. With my restricted space coupled with my preferred viewing distance, a 24" monitor with 0.265 dot pitch is just right. What I am trying to emphasize is that, if I splurged out on say a 32" 10-bit Eizo UHD monitor with 98% Adobe RGB capability, that would be a huge jump in image quality but, for me, a complete waste of money. Like you, I don't print much.

I find that NEC monitors are satisfactory - color-wise - out of the box at default settings although I do lower the brightness a bit. So no Munki-ing about for me - and I suspect that any color accuracy improvement you gain by monitor calibration of any kind could well be barely noticeable to your eyes, if they're anything like mine.

You might want to give aspect ratio a bit of consideration, albeit a bit off topic. Personally, I dislike the 16:9 aspect ratio - a view that has little support here, since most people have "got used to it". In spite of which, I've recently invested in a 1920x1200px monitor which is closer in aspect ratio to what comes out of my cameras.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 15th August 2016 at 05:35 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Improving image quality

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    My two pence worth, Brian, since we appear to have similar points of view.

The following may receive howls of protest:

With my poor vision and available space, an sRGB true 8-bit monitor is more than adequate for my needs. With my restricted space coupled with my preferred viewing distance, a 24" monitor with 0.265 dot pitch is just right. What I am trying to emphasize is that, if I splurged out on say a 32" 10-bit Eizo UHD monitor with 98% Adobe RGB capability, that would be a huge jump in image quality but, for me, a complete waste of money. Like you, I don't print much.

I find that NEC monitors are satisfactory - color-wise - out of the box at default settings although I do lower the brightness a bit. So no Munki-ing about for me - and I suspect that any color accuracy improvement you gain by monitor calibration of any kind could well be barely noticeable to your eyes, if they're anything like mine.

You might want to give aspect ratio a bit of consideration, albeit a bit off topic. Personally, I dislike the 16:9 aspect ratio - a view that has little support here, since most people have "got used to it". In spite of which, I've recently invested in a 1920x1200px monitor which is closer in aspect ratio to what comes out of my cameras.
    Actually we have many of the same restrictions and needs and you make a lot of sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12