Thread: ND Filters

Real Name
    Nuno Morais

ND Filters

Hello,

I am looking for a new slot filter system and recently discovered the Nisi brand. Do you have any experience with these filters? How do they compare with those of other brands like Lee or Formatt-Hitech? Any opinions about the new Nisi V5 holder?

Thank you all

Real Name
    Kaare

Re: ND Filters

Hi

First of all welcome to CiC

I have seen the Nisi filters, but I haven't had any experience with those filter, and the same with Lee and Formatt-Hitech. But what I have experience with is Hoya's screw in filters, one of those variable. I must say im a big fan of those, even the variable one. All the rumors with vinettage(defiantly not spelled right), i've never had and I've been using it on both APS-C sensor and FF frame.

Lately i've been using the Cokin square filters, and im even more enthusiastic about those the Hoya filter. Thats is because of the flexibility of the "square-filter-system". It's easy to switch between filters or add filter, but most important for me it's a lot cheaper. And its is especially a lot cheaper that the Lee, so if you want a affordable quality "square-filter-system" go with the Cokin :-)

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, see you joined way back on 9th December 2014 but no info in your profile so don't even no where you are from and that makes giving advice on the question a little harder to reply to as in the UK Lee filters are cheaper than say the USA and nowadays cost is always a factor in buying anything it seems.
    Now some will disagree with me but I used the Lee filter system with 6 GND filters soft and hard, 0.6 ND filter, big stopper and the 105mm pol filter now the GND's are gone as you can do in photoshop what they can do in the field. OK so you have to attach the holder ring to the lens then the holder to that, slot in a NDG filter, line up with dark/light parts of the scene but that tree stuck up in the sky part of the scene is going to be darkened by the filter or that seascape where you go through it all again trying to line up the darker sea to the lighter sky now ready to shoot!! BUT!! hang on the light has changed while I tried to get it all setup or OK got my shot now need to move so do I take it apart or just pick it up to go over there? I'll pick it up, whoops!! the filter just slipped out the holder onto the ground and of course onto the one large stone that can be seen for miles and now the filter has a scratch on it, Oh Bug--r!!. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkqeGV6r_gY). Oh well next time I'll just take two exposures and blend them in software the same software I would use to try and get that tree top that was darkened by the filter to look natural. OK finished and JMO you only need polorizers and ND filters. Russ

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Based on the price they are charging, they should be quite good.

Nisi are a Chinese company and the filters are more expensive than the made in UK Lee and Formatt Hitech (i.e. high labour cost country). I only know of one person who uses Nisi and he was quite happy with them. I don't know of anyone who has used Nisi and one of the other major brands, so can't compare.

Real Name
    Paul David

I have 2 graduated neutral density filters from Singh Ray and have been happy with them. They have a lot of nice tutorials on their website as well. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I don't know Nisi at all.

The thing you want to find out is if they cause any colour cast. You would think that at their price point, they should not, but in might be worth searching for any online reviews.