Thread: We're both getting better

Real Name
    Brian

We're both getting better

After a slow start and jittery birds, they and I, have gotten better. The Goldfinches are now coming to the feeder off and on all day. And, they aren't flying away every time they detect movement in the house. They are staying longer allowing me to get some better shots. This was taken late this afternoon (Sat.) with the sun in the perfect angle. It took me 4 shots to get this one so my percentage is getting better.

We're both getting better

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: We're both getting better

Lovely

Real Name
    Dan

Practice makes perfect, Brian. With feeders the draw of the food seems to eventually overcome their fear. If you park yourself in plain view a chair a few feet from the feeder they will soon figure out that you aren't a threat and will ignore you. Many people start across the yard and gradually move the chair closer over a period of a few days. We haven't been able to put out feeders for several years due to the location of our home. We're in the process of moving and hopefully we'll be able to do so at our new digs.

Real Name
    Brian

Dan, all of the shots I've gotten from the feed have been through double pane windows that are only about 6-8ft away. These were a little skiddish at first, but, with the abundant food, they seem to be OK with me right at the window. I would be shooting almost directly into the sun if I were to go out and sit on the patio, so, I've just decided to sit on the edge of the couch and keep my camera handy. Having feeders is almost like having your own little miniature zoo. We have birds and squirrels during the day and who know what comes by at night. Makes me a lazy bird photographer for sure.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    Dan, all of the shots I've gotten from the feed have been through double pane windows that are only about 6-8ft away. These were a little skiddish at first, but, with the abundant food, they seem to be OK with me right at the window. I would be shooting almost directly into the sun if I were to go out and sit on the patio, so, I've just decided to sit on the edge of the couch and keep my camera handy. Having feeders is almost like having your own little miniature zoo. We have birds and squirrels during the day and who know what comes by at night. Makes me a lazy bird photographer for sure.
    Almost like me, Brian. I haven't seen those yellow finches but once near my family room window. I moved to get my camera and they were gone. I once bought a feeder like yours and wasn't happy with it so I gave up. When I get my camera back from repairs, I will go back to photographing my backyard birds if it is not too hot out.