Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Project 52, 3rd Quarter by Janis

Real Name
    Janis

Re: 2016 Project 52, 3rd Quarter by Janis

Week 29

I have not shot anything new yet this week and may not have the opportunity today, so I thought I would share some of the images I have played with this week in the development room.

Two of them are from last fall and are of the same subject, differently framed and processed. They were shot in low light, and I opted for a slow shutter speed and low ISO.

2016 Project 52, 3rd Quarter by Janis

Inspired by a video I watched earlier this week, I stacked the Glamour Glow and Graduated Fog filters in CEP for this second one.

The third is one of the early morning shots I took on the opposite end of the same beach this spring. I wasn't happy with the colour, so a few days ago, I tried a black and white version.

I spent part of this week learning more about colour mixing and making colour adjustments via the RBG channels, so I may play again with the colour version.

C&C always welcome.

Real Name
    Judith

nice group and great exercises in learning!

Real Name
    Binnur

I especially like the B&W images Janis BTW , the Glamour Glow filter is one of my favs in CEP 4 too.

Real Name
    John

Nice shots.

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Judith, Binnur and John. Glamour Glow is a guilty pleasure for me, Binnur. I feel like I shouldn't like it, because of the name, but I do.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Janis -- I thought Glamour Glow is only for people portraits. I haven't gone that far into using it for landscape shots. Thanks for the inspiration.That is very nice -- but in this batch I prefer your black and white. I think it suits the scene very well here, adds drama to the whole story. Well done.

Real Name
    Joe

Nice shots. I particularly liked the mono ones. Not sure if the combo of mist and glam filters work together??

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Izzie and Joe. Izzie, it seems that it is not uncommon for people to use the GG filter in landscape photos. I have never really understood what "Ortonizing" was all about, but the GG filter serves to approximte that effect, apparently.

Joe, I grant you that my edit may not be terribly artful, but I don't see why the two filters shouldn't be used together, if one's taste runs in that direction.

Real Name
    Joe

Sorry Janis I didn't mean to suggest that: its' just that in my mind's eye I see mist and overcast or dull sky's. I knowthat is not be necessarily correct but it's what comes to my mind.

Real Name
    Janis

I'm not taking any offense, Joe, so don't worry on that account. What I was going for was one of those scenes where a light mist is approaching but hasn't quite reached you, so the objects in the foreground are clearer than those in the background. It was a way of leveraging what was already a dull sky and helping to emphasize my main subject, which was the wood. I guess maybe I failed. But no big deal, if that's the case. I'm just experimenting and negative feedback is as valuable, or more, than positive for pushing me along the learning path.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I am fan of week 27 :#3, #4 and week 28: #1.... they are of different level

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Nandy. I'm thinking your taste runs to the unconventional. I think we may have that in common.

Real Name
    Janis

Week 30

Okay, slap me with a wet noodle; I did nothing last week, zero, naught. But I was busy preparing for a holiday. After spending several days spent doing house and yard work, I am finally relaxing at the lake, with ten days of potential shooting ahead of me. Bliss. I just turned a screw on a footplate and about to take the 70-200 mm plus 1.4 teleconverter down to the pier to shoot the sailboats or the Pelicans or whatever offers itself up to the camera's view.

I did want to share an unexpected reward though. I shared with you in last quarter's thread a group pic of some of the members of my dragonboat team, all of whom are breast cancer survivors. I actually shot quite a few images that day that I passed on to the member who maintains our Facebook page. I do not belong to Facebook, and am unable to view much, so I don't even know which were published. However, one of the members stopped me before practice the other day to thank me for the one I had taken of her, a casual portrait. She said she had not been able to look at photos of herself since she underwent treatment, but found that in looking at my image of her, she finally saw her old self again. It clearly meant a lot to her, and it meant a lot to me to hear her say that. It gave me a new perspective on the power of imagery and portraiture, a power that should not be taken too lightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by purplehaze; 29th July 2016 at 07:43 PM.

Real Name
    Judith

That is a blessing for both of you! Bravo!

Real Name
    John

Nice feedback on your images. I think when we force ourselves to shoot we don't enjoy it as much, if I were you I'd just do the trip and play with the camera settings, presets, and just see what you come up with.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Janis,

I particularly wanted to say that I like #1 and #2 (Compression and Isolation) from week 27 above.

Also enjoyed the Folk festival series - folk music isn't really my cup of tea (to listen to), but I covered one many years ago for work (broadcast TV) and everyone was just so nice and happy, it was great experience, although I wasn't really shooting stills 'at work' then (often an issue of rights, etc.), so I have no record of the event.

Hope you get a chance to shoot soon.

Dave

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Judith. John, I know what you mean about forcing things and I promise you I am not. But when my brother offered to take us for a sail yesterday afternoon, I was eager to take the camera as I had some idea of what I wanted to do with it. Last time I went out I had no time to change lenses and was stuck with the telephoto. This time I went out with the wide angle and got some fun shots that I wish I could share with you tonight, but I haven't been able to make Airdrop work with my phone.

Last edited by purplehaze; 31st July 2016 at 04:09 AM.

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Dave. A few of the shots I took yesterday while roaming with the telephoto really drove home the point about how the compression effect can enhance a composition.

As for your observation about folk festivals, I heartily agree. The culture is very laid back and tolerant of pretty much everything but rudeness, which tends to be rather quickly and ruthlessly extinguished. ;-)

Real Name
    Janis

Week 31

Finally catching up on my log.

These are a few of the images I captured on our sail, referred to above. It was a glorious day and thrilling to be in the embrace of water and wind. All shot with the Sigma 18-35 mm.

#1 The captain consults his compass.

ISO 125, f/6.3 @1/500, 18 mm

#2 The captain relaxes while his niece takes her turn at the helm.

ISO 100, f/8 at 1/250, 18 mm, built-in flash fired

#3 An attempt to create a bit of depth.

a)

ISO 125, f/5.6 @ 1/500, 18 mm

b)

ISO 125, f/7.1 @ 1/500, 18 mm

#4 The light was gorgeous when we came in to anchor, but I had accidentally selected negative exposure compensation where I would have needed positive, if anything. There were several nicely backlit shots that I have been trying to rescue, of which this is one.

#5 Tying up the main sail.

ISO 125, f/9 @ 1/500, -2/3 EV, 18 mm

There were a number of shots of my sister sitting on the boom, doing sprawling mock fashion poses against the main sail, but she would not forgive me if she shared them here, so I will leave those to your imagination.

C & C welcome, as always.
    Last edited by purplehaze; 18th August 2016 at 05:07 AM. Reason: to add an image

Real Name
    Judith

You did a nice job capturing the flavor of the day! Looks like great fun!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast