Thread: Carbonite???

Real Name
    Richard

Carbonite???

My wife and I each have a desktop computer and we'd like a cloud base automatic backup system to ensure that our files are safe.

I did a search on this site but could not find any recent posts...

Carbonite seems like a a pretty decent option...

https://www.carbonite.com/en/cloud-b...FY-DaQodhQ8Jcw

The $59.95 yearly Basic Plan seems that it only lacks External Hard Drive Back up and Mirror image backup as opposed to the Plus plan which is "almost twice the cost" at at hundred USD per year...

If I use my external hard drive ONLY to back up my main hard drive, and if the main hard drives are backed up on Carbonite, do I need the PLUS plan which will back up my external hard drive also???

Additionally, what would be the advantage of the Mirror back up?

I would like a system that I could setup and forget... However, the ability to access and share files remotely would also be nice...

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Carbonite???

Hi Richard.

I use CrashPlan which is the same price, and will back up external disks. It doesn't have any cloud sharing features so far as I know. It is definitely install and forget. Might be worth a look?

Dave

Real Name
    Bruce

Richard, this is an issue I regularly think about but then do nothing. All I do is periodically do a manual backup to an external hard drive which is turned on only when I'm doing a backup, perhaps every few months or so......

I recall seeing previous discussions around this topic. I did a quick search using "crashplan" and came up with this Backup. But this may be one you've already seen.
    Last edited by Cantab; 4th July 2016 at 07:41 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I selected Carbonite and did a three year contract. That way it costs me only $3.50 USD per month for the service for one computer.

Apparently it will take a day or two for my files to be covered... Carbonite is doing the initial back up at this moment. I have 864 GB to go

I like that I have unlimited storage and backup because I need a lot of memory for my files. I shoot a lot and always shoot RAW.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 5th July 2016 at 03:16 AM.