Thread: Black Point / White Point.

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Black Point / White Point.

Thanks Manfred.

Real Name
    Chris

I am curious as to why you wouldn't first ensure you had a correct WB before setting the black and white points? I find this most important more to my white point in most cases, but in an image shadow heavy, I find it helps to better define where the black point needs to be set. I try to work my exposure in a modified zone configuration and I do pretty much the same in my post processing. I find without first neutralizing any residual color casts, tends to deaden my image from the outset.

Case in point: Your original image is in the upper left triangle where the whites have a definite color cast of yellow and mine in the lower right where the whites have been "neutralized" so when I do set the white point it is based on a true white.

Black Point / White Point.

Maybe I am all wet behind the ears on this...
    Last edited by ccphoto; 10th July 2016 at 11:19 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by ccphoto View Post
    I am curious as to why you wouldn't first ensure you had a correct WB before setting the black and white points? I find this most important more to my white point in most cases, but in an image shadow heavy, I find it helps to better define where the black point needs to be set. I try to work my exposure in a modified zone configuration and I do pretty much the same in my post processing. I find without first neutralizing any residual color casts, tends to deaden my image from the outset.

Case in point: Your original image is in the upper left triangle where the whites have a definite color cast of yellow and mine in the lower right where the whites have been "neutralized" so when I do set the white point it is based on a true white.

Maybe I am all wet behind the ears on this...
    I would do the black point / white point first (and there may be a mid-point / gamma adjustment too) first as it will correct the exposure and give me a better look at a properly exposed image BEFORE I worked the WB. That is just personal taste to some degree as the operation is neutral to any WB issues in the image. The colour cast will be there and require the same amount of correction. I just find I get a better read on the intensity if the exposure is the way I want it first.

Real Name
    Chris

Interesting...and it is why we all have differing PP workflows. Flickr is having some upload issues right now so I cannot repost the image. As to midpoint, I find that essential.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by ccphoto View Post
    Interesting...and it is why we all have differing PP workflows. Flickr is having some upload issues right now so I cannot repost the image. As to midpoint, I find that essential.
    Just to let you know, neither are my first workflow steps. I will do noise reduction first, if required.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123