Thread: Benro tripod strong enough for gimbal head with 500mm f/4?

Real Name
    Anthony

Benro tripod strong enough for gimbal head with 500mm f/4?

Think I know the answer to this one, but was hoping to get some feedback.

I have a Benro C-2691 Travel Angel Carbon Fiber Tripod and wondering if its strong enough to support a Canon 500mm f/4 with a 7D Mark II (12 lbs 6 oz total) with a Gimbal Head (Benro GH2C 2.8 lbs or something similar).

The tripod specs say it supports 26.4 lbs.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...el_Carbon.html

Should I trust those specs? Even if it can support the weight would the whole whole thing be too top heavy?

Do I need to break down and buy a "heavy duty" tripod? Gitzo Series 4?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Benro tripod strong enough for gimbal head with 500mm f/4?

Anthony the tripod you linked to has a centre column first thing ditch it, now add up all the costs of lens, camera, and gimbal head that is a lot of money, so either go big or go home. There are other good makes of tripods out there besides Gitzo's, there is Really Right Stuff, or Feisol which I use that does what I need. I suggest that you look at the link I am providing help you decide what it is that you really need in a tripod. One thing that a lot of people do not think about is height and if you are shooting with a gimbal head you will need a taller model. Back to the link I suggest that you look it over I am not saying to purchase from them just learn what you can from them.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Guid...rt-for-Tripods

Also adding another that is probably the best ever on what you ever wanted to know about tripods and more.

http://www.canadiannaturephotographer.com/tripod.html

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I would give you the same answer as Alan did. I have the Benro C1691 (the baby brother of your tripod), that is rated at 8kg / 17.6 lbs. Sure it will hold the weight, but it will be swaying all over the place, it's legs are just to skinny and it far too short for the type of use you are considering. It is also short, so I have to pop up the column, and that adds to the instability. The name "Travel Angel" should give you a hint as to what these tripods are best for - light weight and easily fit into a suitcase or on a backpack. They are not great for critical work (long exposures where you can't have any shake).

The "top heavy" part depends a bit on how you use it. If you set things up properly and have them well balanced, the risk is reduced, but not eliminated. I tend to use sandbags and weights on my tripod when I am shooting with a heavy load or in windy conditions. Legs that splay out quite far are what gives a tripod its stability.

I would also suggest the three makes that Alan recommends. I've used a Gitzo, own a Feisol (with a Really Right Stuff (RRS) ballhead), but have never used a RRS tripod, but have heard a lot of good things about them.

Feisol makes a number of triopods, I believe both of us have the heavy duty Elite line (CT-3372 and CT-3472)

http://www.feisol.net/tripods.html?cat=28
    Last edited by Manfred M; 29th June 2016 at 04:42 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

I use a Giottos 8180 Carbon Fiber Tripod which is listed as having a 26 pound maximum weight capacity. This is a very solid tripod which weighs 5.7 pounds (2.6 kg.). my maximum load that I use this tripod for is a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II on a Canon 7D or 5DII mounted on a Manfrotto Gimbal... I would have no worries about placing a heavier load on his pod but, I don't own anything heavier.

This is a rather large tripod as you can see in this image, standing next to my Slik travel tripod.

Besides wanting a tripod that is solid when set up I want to be sure that my tripod is sturdy enough to be able to carry it over my shoulder with camera and gimbal or ball head mounted.

I have once in my life experienced a tripod with camera and lens falling over. Luckily it was with a purely mechanical 35mm film camera on soft ground and the camera/lens survived. I would not want to go cheap and experience a another horrible sensation, this time with several thousand dollars of equipment mounted on the pod.

The Giottos 8180 is no longer produced but Giottos and other manufacturers sell tripods which can easily support your load.

Real Name
    Anthony

Thank you all for responding. I'm not surprised the Travel Angel is not a good fit for my camera/lens combination. Glad you all could confirm so I can move on.

I am concerned about height. Even with a ball head I often wish my tripod was taller. I also have a Gitzo GM5561T Monopod that I really like, but at 60" it would be nice if it were a little taller (6" or so).

I'm 6' 2", would anyone be able to recommend a tripod height I should be looking for? It would primarily be fitted with a Gimbal head. I'm okay with something that's a little heavier, but am considering a 4 section one to more easily pack into a suitcase when traveling.

Real Name
    Anthony

Allan, I'm reading the article you pointed out. For height the suggestion is...

"The tripod should ideally come to your chin in height so it's comfortable to work with standing up."

Real Name
    Allan Short

Anthony I took that to be the plate of the tripod, with no head, longer is even better because what if the ground is lower in front of you, this is where even more length would come in handy. This is true for out of doors shooter, studio would not need it. It is going to cost you however look at the value of what sits on top of it.
    Yes interesting reading both articles.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Alan - I just tested things out with my tripod and camera. I would say that dimension is probably the top of the ball head quick release place. If I measure to the top of the tripod plate, and then pop on the ball head, the camera is far to high for me to see through the viewfinder in landscape orientation.

Top of the release plate is a bit of a stretch when I have the battery pack on the camera base, but if I remove it, it is just about perfect.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Manfred I had to go out to the car to get my tripod, nice night out by the way sky is clear. Now back to the tripod, my Feisol Ct-3472 without leveling centre is 59.5" high with ball and RRS quick release clamp it is 65" high, if camera is mounted can not look thru view finder as it is too high. Myself I am just a touch over 6ft. more of the time I have to lower it about 4" or so. Yes I speak and think in two measurement imperial and metric.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Manfred I had to go out to the car to get my tripod, nice night out by the way sky is clear. Now back to the tripod, my Feisol Ct-3472 without leveling centre is 59.5" high with ball and RRS quick release clamp it is 65" high, if camera is mounted can not look thru view finder as it is too high. Myself I am just a touch over 6ft. more of the time I have to lower it about 4" or so. Yes I speak and think in two measurement imperial and metric.

I just checked the height specs on our two tripods. The CT-3372 is about 2cm / 0.79 in taller than the CT-3472, so not much of difference and something I generally won't need as I'm 5cm / 2 in shorter than you.

Yes, fully conversant in both systems as well. I suggest that says something about our ages...

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by redforester View Post

I am concerned about height. Even with a ball head I often wish my tripod was taller. I also have a Gitzo GM5561T Monopod that I really like, but at 60" it would be nice if it were a little taller (6" or so).
    My SLIK 330DX tripod has been modified into a travel tripod by switching to a shorter center column (WHICH I ALMOST NEVER USE) and switching the heavy stock pan-tilt head with an Adorama Flashpoint F-1 ball head. The total unit weighs about 2.2 pounds or 1 kilogram.

However, it is really shorter than I like.

But, I can live with this by either bending over or using a right angle finder because the tripod is so handy, small and light.

BTW: The maximum load I place on the modified Slik tripod is a DSLR with 70-200mm f/4L IS...

I would not want my standard, go-to, tripod to be this short. If a person has an articulating LCD, that could be used but, I find it difficult to view and focus using the LCD in bright sunlight. Following fast moving subjects with a long focal length lens using the LCD finder is just about impossible for me

A tripod which elevates about to my chin would be the minimum to comfortably use. Remember, you have a couple of inches extra height from the tripod head or gimbal and another two or three inches from the base of the camera to the viewfinder.

One problem with tripod specifications is that some tripods give the maximum height with the center column extended to maximum. This is an advertising stunt. What you need to determine is the maximum height WITHOUTthe center column being extended more than a couple of inches.

A tripod should fold down to a length that will fit into your carry-on suitcase if you plan to do any air travel. You can always remove the head or gimbal to make the folded size smaller.

Tripod selection is always a compromise between weight, size, stability and cost. One single tripod will not exactly fit all needs.