Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Country Store (then and now)

Real Name
    Bruce

Old Country Store (then and now)

On 6/21/13 I photographed this old country store that, as you can see, was in a state of collapse.
    Today (6/25/16) I photographed this same building.
    Bruce

Then (#1)

Now (#2)

The light is to harsh; should have waited to the "Golden Hour"
    I do not have any idea why the repairs were done to this old store. Maybe someone wanted to preserve it in somewhat of its former look.
    Last edited by Digital; 16th July 2016 at 08:32 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Old Country Store (then and now)

A real mystery there Bruce, there has to be an interesting story behind it. Somebody has certainly put a lot of time, effort and money into this project.

Real Name
    Bruce

Manfred, totally agree with you. I will ask around and see if I can get a back story on why these repairs were made.

Bruce

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I can't wait to learn the whole story. One question I would ask is why the Coca Cola sign was repainted but not the rest of the building. I assume the rest will also be repainted but why do the sign first rather than last?

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I can't wait to learn the whole story. One question I would ask is why the Coca Cola sign was repainted but not the rest of the building. I assume the rest will also be repainted but why do the sign first rather than last?
    Mike, that is a very good question

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Nice set.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hello, Bruce. Whatever is the reason for the repair, you did an interesting record of the "Then and Now". Very nice. And, of course, it would be interesting to know the story behind...

Cheers,

Real Name
    Bruce

Thank you John, and Otavio for your very kind comments.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Might well be a work I progress. It looks like there has been some gardening as well. Nice record. Might be worth going back again to see how the story ends.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Might well be a work I progress. It looks like there has been some gardening as well. Nice record. Might be worth going back again to see how the story ends.
    John, thanks for your comments. I am planning to contact our local newspaper to see if they know anything about this.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    John, thanks for your comments. I am planning to contact our local newspaper to see if they know anything about this.

Bruce
    Don't hold back. While you're at it, sell 'em the story and the photographs.

Real Name
    Paul

Very nice set and interesting story. The missing roof on the front of the building makes me think there might have been a gas pump there at one time. It would make a wonderful model for a model railroad in the steam era.

Real Name
    Bruce

Paul, I do remember someone (I have forgotten who) telling me that this store was operational until sometime in the 1970's.
    I hope that my contact at the newspaper can shed light on the history of this building, and what is the rationale behind the current repairs.
    Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Bruce

If you really want to spend a lot of time researching the situation, you could go to the public records to determine the owner and then contact the owner.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    If you really want to spend a lot of time researching the situation, you could go to the public records to determine the owner and then contact the owner.
    Mike, that is a very good suggestion. I have emailed my contact at the newspaper (Times-Georgian), and have attached the photos of the building. I am hoping that he can shed more light on the history, and the reason behind the current repairs. Also, I know the mayor of Carrollton - I used to attend the church he goes to- and I may contact him to see if he knows anything.
    One advantage of living in a small community. I am determined to track this story down. In my next life, I plan to be a journalist.
    I have a theory that the repairs were done for liability purposes; however would the cost of tearing it down be more expensive than the repairs that were made. Also, why renew the Coca-Cola symbol on the side of the building if it was repaired for liability purposes. I am arguing against my own theory.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I am arguing against my own theory.
    And you're doing such a great job of it.

This wasn't a quick and easy fix, the entire roof was re-framed and sheathed (metal roofing this time), I'm guessing it was also stabilized and leveled on its foundation (stone pilings likely). There was something odd going on with the door on the CocaCola side. You can see the door was framed at an odd angle and it cut into the CocaCola sign. In any event this building might have sentimental value to someone or historical. It's important enough that a considerable effort was put into it. Oh yeah and your pitcher takin' is pretty good too.

Real Name
    Bruce

Jack, thank you for your very kind comments.

Bruce

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Perhaps it is now owned by an advertising agency and they got a commission to use the ad space again, but obviously needed to do something with the structure to ensure it stayed upright.

I'm only half serious, as the work done is more than is necessary as Jack has said.

Perhaps advertising revenue has contributed to the restoration though (or they're hoping it might).

Good shots Bruce, I initially thought you'd posted them in the wrong order, we're so used to seeing things worse now than earlier; barns and sheds, etc.

Cheers, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Perhaps advertising revenue has contributed to the restoration though (or they're hoping it might).
    I can't imagine Coca Cola being willing to pay for advertising in the current state. Now that the sign is already painted, I also can't imagine that Coca Cola would pay simply to prevent someone from covering it up with a new coat of paint. Just the opposite, I can imagine Coca Cola having a problem with someone using the trade marked signage on the building in its current state.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast