Thread: Three Images

Real Name
    Julian

Three Images

Back after some holiday!

I took a few photos while I was away, not too many. I figured I'd throw three in here and see what you lovely gents and ladies thought. Enjoy, and all criticism always appreciated.

Three Images
    - 1 -
    40mm, 1/40th sec, f/4, ISO200
    Olympus OM-D E-M5, M. Zuiko Pro 12-40mm f/2.8

Three Images
    - 2 -
    12mm, 1/1250th sec, f/2.8, ISO200

Three Images
    - 3 -
    18mm, N/A sec, f/4, ISO200
    Four shot HDR composite.

Real Name
    John

Re: Three Images

I like the first capture as is, the second and third need a bit more processing. The second is a good use of perspective but the lines lead us to an uninteresting sky, I would try to emphasize the patterns created by the seats, there is a good interruption in pattern that can be examined. Nice efforts.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

First one is really excellent; others are good too

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I wondered about suggesting a small top edge crop to #1 Julian.

#2 I like the clean lines, but John may have a valid idea in increasing the local contrast of the scene - and even, if possible, recovering some sky detail. I wondered about adding some human interest at the far end of the walkway.

#3 is interesting too.

HTH, Dave

Real Name
    Julian

Hey folks,

The pastels in number one make me happy. It's subtle, but looks almost like art. I don't disagree with the top crop. I will have to try it. It is uninteresting sky, but it might be important to the balance of the photo. Will have to see.

I too am not entirely happy with number two. I like the sense of space it provides, and the stillness. I agree that the sky is uninteresting (that's fully recovered, no more detail to be had). Overall I might have been better shooting into the seats rather than past them. I will have an opportunity to try again.

Number three is heavily composited. It's a grouping of four exposures bracketed by shutter speed. I unfortunately found myself reflected in a bunch of the chrome elements. The shot was pulled into Photoshop and I removed myself everywhere I could find. I like how the orange stripe is mirrored in both direction and color by the speedometer pointer. The mottled light might have broken up the image a bit more than I'd have liked.

Thanks as always for the thoughts, all.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Astramael View Post
    I unfortunately found myself reflected in a bunch of the chrome elements. The shot was pulled into Photoshop and I removed myself everywhere I could find. I like how the orange stripe is mirrored in both direction and color by the speedometer pointer. The mottled light might have broken up the image a bit more than I'd have liked.
    I was wondering how you'd got such a good result in that mottled sunlight = hard work!

I was also looking for your reflection and disappointed it wasn't there - but I like a challenge and I think I see your head at 120 mph on the far side of the speedometer

Cheers, Dave

PS
    Yes, I was playing moving LyteBox around to judge the crop for #1 and as you say, being too bold upsets the balance, so just a little off the top is all I was suggesting.

Real Name
    Julian

Well spotted, sir! Although it is not my head, it is certainly me at the top of the speedo.

After trying a number of different crops on picture one, I ended up going quite aggressive. Decided that a vast amount of that sky was not adding value, and the more I cut off the more it focused the photo on the landscape which is the focus anyways. You can see the revised crop here:

Three Images

Julian I think #1 is great, love the pastel colors and the hazy, fog in the valleys. Great pic. My only suggestion is, and this is based on the cloud layers that your image maybe needs a bit of a clockwise rotation. As for your crop, I'm thinking I prefer your original, my reason being is that I like seeing those pastel colors and layers just dissolve into a more pale and uniform color.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Love #1 very much Julian...great shot. I like the original better..just a slight rotation.