Thread: Legal Recourse

Real Name
    Bruce

Legal Recourse

I recently viewed on Facebook a video put out by the Professional Photographers Association (PPA) that told of apparently impending legislation in the U.S. Congress that would give photographers the ability to handle copyright infringement via some type of small claims system. PPA was encouraging all members, and non members of PPA to go to a website (www. PPA.com/Grassroots) to enroll in encouraging this particular legislation. The second request in this video was to spread the word among all photographers. I want to emphasize that you do NOT need to be a member of PPA to participate in this effort.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Re: Legal Recourse

I didn't hear about the request but did hear that some U.S. courts won't even bother reviewing a case of infringement if the dollar value didn't meet a certain threshold.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I would submit that our congress couldn't agree on toilet paper much less something like that.

Real Name
    Bruce

John, if this particular legislation does pass, I hope it puts an end to that particular issue.

Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I would submit that our congress couldn't agree on toilet paper much less something like that.
    William, I do not hold the US Congress to any high standard. If I did, I would be severely disappointed.

Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Sorry, but what a dumb idea.

Copyright started out as a great idea, i.e. protecting the small writer from theft of his or her material by big business. Now it has degenerated to the point where it effectively does little more than protect intellectual property of huge corporations for an excessively long time and all for free.

Effectively, copyright is all about Micky Mouse and not the images you and I make.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Sorry, but what a dumb idea.

Copyright started out as a great idea, i.e. protecting the small writer from theft of his or her material by big business. Now it has degenerated to the point where it effectively does little more than protect intellectual property of huge corporations for an excessively long time and all for free.

Effectively, copyright is all about Micky Mouse and not the images you and I make.
    Manfred, why don't you tell us how you really feel.

Bruce

Real Name
    Richard

I designed a Dog Rescue Logo that was used without my permission by another rescue group. I suspected that this was going to happen so I initiated a formal copyright with the Federal Government.

I then stated in a formal letter that I owned the copyright thereto and if the other organization did not cease and desist using it, I would initiate legal action. They immediately removed the logo from their Website and Face Book page.

Sure, this was a single piece of artwork and it did cost me a few dollars to legally gain the copyright. However, tha satisfaction I got from retaining my work made the cost and the effort quite worthwhile.

Was my statement to them a bluff Very possibly but, it sure worked However, obviously as a photographer, I could not (nor would I wish to) initiate formal copyrights for all of my images...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Good for you, Richard!