Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant Shutter lock when zoomed on Canon EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM

Real Name
    Arun

Constant Shutter lock when zoomed on Canon EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM

I am suddenly getting shutter lock on this Canon lens as soon as zoom is over 35mm.Most often get a shutter lock but on a rare occasion will click the image fine but tis is far and few. You missed an opportunity...very annoying to say the least.

I have tried it on various Canon cameras that includes Canon EOS 5D, EOS 50D, 40D but the problem has not gone away.
    I tried by turning off Stabilizer and Auto Focus to MF with no avail.
    Also tried M,AV, Tv,P and still the shutter locks.

Has anyone with such an experience and if found a solution to resolve?
    Last edited by snowshine; 5th June 2016 at 11:39 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Constant Shutter lock when zoomed on Canon EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM

Have you tried gently cleaning the electronic contacts on the lens? Problems can occur when the lens and camera body do not communicate. As it seems to occur on different camera bodies, that definitely points to this being a lens issue.

If the contact cleaning does not work, I would suggest the lens be sent away for servicing.

Real Name
    Arun

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

If the contact cleaning does not work, I would suggest the lens be sent away for servicing.
    Contact cleaning did not work.
    How does one go about sending it for servicing? I presume it has to be sent to Canon. I am from UK. The lens was bought second hand about 4 years ago (Lens came with the Canon EOS 5D bought second hand)

Will it cost a lot for servicing, I wonder?

Real Name
    Richard

I sometimes experience shutter lock when I am too close to the subject that I want to shoot...

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by snowshine View Post
    Contact cleaning did not work.
    How does one go about sending it for servicing? I presume it has to be sent to Canon. I am from UK. The lens was bought second hand about 4 years ago (Lens came with the Canon EOS 5D bought second hand)

Will it cost a lot for servicing, I wonder?
    In some places, there are still independent repair shops that would be able to handle this. Otherwise, Canon's website is set up for you to request service, and their reply will include their minimum charge for servicing that particular lens.

Real Name
    Peter

There are a number of Canon approved service companies in the UK. I've read of various issues with this lens, from memory one issue was to do with an internal ribbon cable which causes problems with the zoom action and focus.
    Most of the service agents would supply you with a quote to carry out the repair. Not knowing where you are in the UK I'll list a few approved service centres for you to chose from:-
    Canon Service Centre Elstree
    Fixation London
    Lehman's Stoke on Trent
    A J Johnstones Glasgow

I've used Canon Elstree for a warranty repair for an L series lens. Interestingly Canon sent my lens (due to high workload) to Lehman to carry out the repair.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Real Name
    Ken

Sounds like the aperture control cable. Had to have mine replaced in my 24-105mm, but quite common in kit lenses such as 17-55 or 17-85. Cost me $NZ 234 (£112)
    Last edited by Ken MT; 5th June 2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add price

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I sometimes experience shutter lock when I am too close to the subject that I want to shoot...
    I've had this happen too.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Do you get an ERROR Message?

If so what?

If the problem is because of the (known) matter of usage wear in the Ribbon Cable which controls the Aperture, the camera usually (but not always) exhibits "ERROR 01" - (see Ken's Post #7).

I have a friend in the UK who used Johnstones (Glasgow) for this exact replacement/repair on her 24 to 105/4 L and it cost around 150 Quid. She speaks highly of Johnstones. I think Donald (CiC Donald) mentioned that he used Johnstones recently also - and he was happy with their service. That doesn't imply any of the other service centres mentioned above, are less good.

Obviously, it could be an issue other than the Ribbon Cable.

WW

Real Name
    Robin

A J Johnstones would be my recommendation too. It does (as suggested) sound like a duff ribbon inside so should be an easy fix.

Real Name
    Arun

Thank you very much for every one in this thread. I will start with Canon and see how it goes..

I am from North Wales,nearest I may have to go is Chester.

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Do you get an ERROR Message?

If so what?

WW
    It does show error 01.
    In someway I am reassured that it is likely to be the cable and could be repaired.

Thank you again.

Regards

Real Name
    George

Thank you very much for every one in this thread. I will start with Canon and see how it goes..

I am from North Wales,nearest I may have to go is Chester.

It does show error 01.
    In someway I am reassured that it is likely to be the cable and could be repaired.

Thank you again.

Regards
    Maybe I'm simple minded but if you have a problem with your lens and have an error message, than why not mentioning that in your first post?????

George

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    Maybe I'm simple minded but if you have a problem with your lens and have an error message, than why not mentioning that in your first post?????
    George
    I am not answering on behalf of Arun, but I am responding to the question.

It is probably not that you (George) are 'simple minded' - nor is it that the OP (Arun) was in-articulate in the Opening Post.

What probably is more likely the case, is the Error Message did not have as significant an impact as the "Constant Shutter lock" and all the other aspects of the problem which were mentioned.

Different people will react to and also recall and prioritize different elements of the same situation: ask any Copper who has taken a Witness Statement.

Using a simple diagnostic tool - a simple Yes/No Closed Question - usually does two things:

> firstly it will most likely will get an answer and move the conversation forward to attaining a solution to the problem

> secondly, if it is a good question, it will usually underscore what is another important symptom to mention or look for, should a similar problem arise in the future

On the other side of the coin: had the OP mentioned that "ERR 01" was displayed and the OP had ONLY mentioned using an EOS 5D, then a good diagnostic question to ask would be: "have you used the lens on another camera, and if so what happened".

The reason for asking that question, is because the Canon ERROR Messages (although are seemingly specific as written in the User Manuals) can be quite broad in their meaning - and - if only the EOS 5D were mentioned, it could have been the Mirror Box Assembly of the camera which was causing the "Err 01" Message.

The bottom line is, I think is simplistic to assume that everyone knows what are the most important / most relevant pieces of information to provide when asking help to solve a problem. . . for example - typically the doctor or the motor mechanic will asks pertinent questions of mostly all of their clients . . . No?

WW

Real Name
    George

I am not answering on behalf of Arun, but I am responding to the question.

It is probably not that you (George) are 'simple minded' - nor is it that the OP (Arun) was in-articulate in the Opening Post.

What probably is more likely the case, is the Error Message did not have as significant an impact as the "Constant Shutter lock" and all the other aspects of the problem which were mentioned.

Different people will react to and also recall and prioritize different elements of the same situation: ask any Copper who has taken a Witness Statement.

Using a simple diagnostic tool - a simple Yes/No Closed Question - usually does two things:

> firstly it will most likely will get an answer and move the conversation forward to attaining a solution to the problem

> secondly, if it is a good question, it will usually underscore what is another important symptom to mention or look for, should a similar problem arise in the future

On the other side of the coin: had the OP mentioned that "ERR 01" was displayed and the OP had ONLY mentioned using an EOS 5D, then a good diagnostic question to ask would be: "have you used the lens on another camera, and if so what happened".

The reason for asking that question, is because the Canon ERROR Messages (although are seemingly specific as written in the User Manuals) can be quite broad in their meaning - and - if only the EOS 5D were mentioned, it could have been the Mirror Box Assembly of the camera which was causing the "Err 01" Message.

The bottom line is, I think is simplistic to assume that everyone knows what are the most important / most relevant pieces of information to provide when asking help to solve a problem. . . for example - typically the doctor or the motor mechanic will asks pertinent questions of mostly all of their clients . . . No?

WW
    My business is central heating. Often I'm called by people saying they have to reset the heater every while. When I ask the code on the display the answer is often: I don't know. My standard answer is they have to wait for the next time the heater has to be reset, write the code down and phone me again. See it as a way of education. We all had that time. There is nothing to be ashamed off er feeling insulted.
    Maybe less quotes next time.
    George

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think Donald (CiC Donald) mentioned that he used Johnstones recently also - and he was happy with their service.
    I did indeed and, yes, I have always been very happy with Johnstone's work, even on my one month old Canon 5DS when I thought I'd check how high it would bounce on a concrete pavement!!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    . . . I thought I'd check how high it would bounce on a concrete pavement!!
    There's a sharp tingle that runs up my spine each time I even think of that . . . please have mercy - whilst it might be cathartic for you . . . it does my head in thinking about it. . .

Bottom line: Glad the lens is fixed.

Bill

Real Name
    Arun

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post

George
    I did not see that message on my 5D by the way. After reading some suggestions in here I tried it again on 50D when for the first time I noticed that Error Message.
    This error message did not appear every time when I tried on the 50D either!! (After I became aware to look for this)
    If I'd paid more attention perhaps I would have noticed that on my earlier attempts but I was so troubled by the Shutter locks on my attempts my mind was not thinking straight!!

Every other response was very helpful and I very much thankful to them....

Now I have dispatched it to be repaired. I shall let know this thread once repaired, if the Error code was infact correct!!!(I hope it is correct)
    William W (Bill) is a more understanding helpful in this forum.....Thank you
    Last edited by snowshine; 9th June 2016 at 05:17 PM.

Real Name
    Arun

My repaired lens arrived today.
    This is what I see on my delivery note:
    Work carried out:
    1.Replaced lens diaphragm assembly
    2.Reassemble and test fully

Spares used:
    *RED L INDICATOR RING BROKEN
    IRIS
    PLATE

I now find the Zooming ring on the lens much firm and tighter. Now the lens works perfect .

Can someone with knowledge tell me with above above information about repair, if the originally suggested connection ribbon was what fault as was discussed in here or was it a different problem? ( just to know about the error code accuracy)

Regards

Real Name
    George

My repaired lens arrived today.
    This is what I see on my delivery note:
    Work carried out:
    1.Replaced lens diaphragm assembly
    2.Reassemble and test fully

Spares used:
    *RED L INDICATOR RING BROKEN
    IRIS
    PLATE

I now find the Zooming ring on the lens much firm and tighter. Now the lens works perfect .

Can someone with knowledge tell me with above above information about repair, if the originally suggested connection ribbon was what fault as was discussed in here or was it a different problem? ( just to know about the error code accuracy)

Regards
    I just did read your former post. My post was helpfull. You will remember to look for error messages.

I use Nikon, I don't know of Canon. But error messages on the camera are very global. I looked for the 001 message and I think it's a general communication problem between camera and lens. Practical one might say it's a ribbon for one experienced that one or more times. But it can be more. What had you to pay for the reparation?

George

Real Name
    Arun

I paid £169.00 for repair.
    Ups £20.00
    Total £189.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast