Thread: Wild meadow sunset

Real Name
    Simon

Wild meadow sunset

The sun burst through the clouds just 30 minutes before sunset, having otherwise been a very dull evening. I grabbed the first camera I could find and ran west (I'm a big chap, it wasn't a pretty sight). The light was stunning looking over the wild fields at the edge of my village - oh, how I wish I had grabbed a tripod as well, and taken the camera off of auto ISO!

This is a manual stack of 5 bracketed shots. It's a little noisy in places, and a bit soft in others, but what light!

Wild meadow sunset

I have quite a few other frames to look at, so I might find something better - but hand-holding at 1/20 and lower, even with decent stabilisation, wasn't conducive to technically perfect shots.

Real Name
    Ernie

Re: Wild meadow sunset

The shot looks good to me. I don't think any of my pictures would stand up to close scrutiny.

Real Name
    Jim

I would be happy with that one.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Me too...Maybe before you go to bed, you stationed your tripod near your front door and one of your cameras on a table somewhere...might help...

Real Name
    Simon

Thanks for the comments. Izzie - frustratingly my tripod is next to the door! I just didn't grab it. I had a gorilla pod tripod, which can be wrapped around rails and stationed on stuff (great for urban pics), but there was nothing suitable to use in the vicinity.

Still, it was a fun mad dash and the light made it worthwhile.

One of the functions I noticed was that my camera bracketed the shots using ISO changes, which wasn't hugely useful in avoiding noise. I could change this to shutter speed bracketing by taking it off auto ISO, but then the shots became impossible to shoot handheld.

I'd not thought about how this worked previously so it was interesting to note.

Real Name
    Simon

Here's another view of the scene from after the sun went down - much less interest in the sky but a more linear composition. This was two shots blended manually:

Wild meadow sunset

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

May I be allowed to ask what camera you are using? Your metadata doesn't say anything much. As for bracketed shots, I configured mine to change aperture not shutter speed. I find it works better for me...

Quote Originally Posted by ionian View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Izzie - frustratingly my tripod is next to the door! I just didn't grab it. I had a gorilla pod tripod, which can be wrapped around rails and stationed on stuff (great for urban pics), but there was nothing suitable to use in the vicinity.

Still, it was a fun mad dash and the light made it worthwhile.

One of the functions I noticed was that my camera bracketed the shots using ISO changes, which wasn't hugely useful in avoiding noise. I could change this to shutter speed bracketing by taking it off auto ISO, but then the shots became impossible to shoot handheld.

I'd not thought about how this worked previously so it was interesting to note.
    As for the last shot, I like the calmness of the surrounds there. Oh the inevitable clothesline I don't like much...but otherwise that one works for me...

Real Name
    Simon

These were taken with my Panasonic GX7, using the kit 14-42 lens. I'm still getting used to its more intricate settings as I've only had it a few weeks.