Thread: Photography Mentor

Real Name
    Erik

Photography Mentor

I am starting to see more and more photographers offering "Mentorship". I was curious if anyone here in CiC has done a photography mentorship and any feedback would be appreciated.

There are some good articles out there talking about what to expect, how to pick, etc. Certainly before going into anything like this there needs to be a clear defined set of goals in mind. This needs to be more than "Be a Better Photographer" However, with today's ability to connect across the world, it offers more opportunity for mentorship using the many ways to communicate and not necessarily something that has to be done Face to Face. I suspect this has opened up to more photographers offering their services in this area.

Any thoughts?

Real Name
    John

Re: Photography Mentor

There are a few members of this forum that have mentors. Nikon offers a mentor series that consists of excursions with one or two professional photographers, I've been meaning to undertake one mainly for the adventure, partially for the feedback. Historically I believe a mentorship didn't involve payment for the privilege, however some labor on the part of the mentoree was given in exchange. I know quite a few friends who have offered there services to wedding or event photographers simply for the experience and as an opportunity to gain some editing tasks as well.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And...workshops.html

Real Name
    Dan

Not as such. I have mostly relied on going out shooting with more experienced photographers in local clubs and listening to judges' critiques at competitions. I did attend two paid workshops with professionals, one of which was quite productive.

Real Name
    Kaare

Hi Erik

Interesting topic you bring up. I've been noticing the same trend. But it's not only in photography. I have a friend who spends all his time fishing, and last time I spoke with him, he had gotten af mentor.

I think it's trend of the time, if you can say so. The time has changed, and you don't make a living by selling a product anymore, but by selling your knowledge, or a least it's like that i Denmark.

I don't like the idea of buying a mentorship. I have this idea, that a mentor is person how's teaching you, because he/she "sees" something unusual about you, within a particular field of interest. If this is the case, I dont see money the main power for a mentorship, but respect for the other person and their talent.

Hope it makes sense

Cheers Kaare

Real Name
    Andrew

Over the years I've seen this evolve somewhat. In many scenarios it's gone from the classical version of a respected professional in some learning taking on a deserving underling/follower to further their knowledge along the thoughts of the mentor to one of a modern one in which private lessons have become the norm. I believe a mentorship also implies a long term commitment rather than a defined series of meetings or classes. It's gone from large classroom instruction to smaller group on-site workshops to the one-on-one mentor. You'll find in a commercial situation the leader still makes the same money. As the size of the class goes down the implied personal attention goes up as does the fee.

There's lots out there so as with any purchase, do you homework. The leader may or may not be qualified or may lead you where they want you to go, not where you do. I hooked up with one mentor for awhile and have taken lots of classes over the years with varying numbers of participants. In regards to the leader it would be hard to distinguish between the two sometimes.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 20th May 2016 at 06:28 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I would suggest that anyone wanting a mentor should ensure that the mentor has the talent and experience level that will suit your needs. This would depend both on your talent and experience and that of the mentor...

One thing that having a mentor might do is to provide incentive to shoot and perhaps provide 1:1 critique on the results.

The mentor should be able to offer critique and the person being mentored should be able to accept those critiques. This requires a level of respect that goes both ways.

However, if the mentor has a style that you don't really like, the mentorship might not be valuable for you.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th May 2016 at 06:32 PM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Mentoring also depends on the person being given the mentorship. I have had someone approached me a year ago and she is very aggressive and demanding of my time. If the service is being given freely, I think the person who asked for it should be a little bit respectful too.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigE View Post
    . . . Any thoughts?
    It's been going on for quite a while.

I think how noticeable it is to anyone, depends upon the circle in which one mixes.

For example (an amateur) being a member of a camera club or (a professional) being a member of an association or (a student) being enrolled in a photography course, especially at diploma or degree level, would be more likely to come across Mentors and also those who are being Mentored.

Face to face is good, and certainly is better than distance, but features such as 'skype' and drop boxes are very handy to use.

I don't think that it is always a situation where Photographers 'offer' their 'service' of being a Mentor - quiet a few people ask for that 'service', but quite often two people just 'slip into' the relationship of Mentor and Mentee.

Mentors learn from the experience, too.

I think that 'mentoring' should have a specific goal, but should be flexible enough to change course.

There should be no time limit.

Each of the two people involved in the mentoring relationship should be able to move in and out as required and without caveat.

Mentoring is an 'understanding' between two people: it is very special.

I have been, and am, on both sides of the 'service' - and quite a few times. I make specific mention in my Bio Page because I believe Mentoring is a key fundamental to growth - in ANY and ALL aspects of life.

Mentoring does not involve money or any work provided free to the Mentor: at least I nave never experienced that, (work provided to a teacher in payment for teaching is an indentureship or apprenticeship or cadetship or something similar to that - that is not Mentoring as I have experienced).

WW

Real Name
    Dan

If a "mentor" requires a fee, then by definition they are not a mentor. Paid consultancy, one-on-one workshops, etc. are not mentoring relationships. Mentoring must be entered into freely by both parties out of mutual interest, respect, and with a degree of rapport. Once money or other sense of forced obligation is involved the nature of the relationship changes.

In my profession I've informally mentored many people over the years and have worked under/with mentors. I've also worked for companies with formal mentoring programs and they rarely work. It's all the rage in corporate America. But an effective mentoring relationship, above all else, has to be based on respect by both parties. What too many managers don't get is that you can't dictate that someone have respect for another.

For that reason, as previously mentioned, anyone seeking a photography mentor should, first and foremost, respect their work and respect them personally. Another key feature of a mentoring relationship is that there has to be a symbiosis. The mentor must benefit from the relationship as well. Many people who mentor others are of advanced age and merely paying something back to community is benefit enough.

Real Name
    Erik

Very interesting comments by everyone and I can certainly see a bit of a theme in many of them in that generally Mentoring should be an Organic Process. Dan put it very well

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    If a "mentor" requires a fee, then by definition they are not a mentor. Paid consultancy, one-on-one workshops, etc. are not mentoring relationships.....
    If payment is involved, which is the case in many of the Mentor offers I have seen, then it is not what I would consider a Mentor but more of a tutor. I think this is what was sticking in my gut a bit, it is the concept of paying for a mentor. After reading the comments above, it has help clear my thoughts in the matter. Mentoring is a relationship of mutual respect by both of parties in which both parties benefit in some fashion, and not necessarily something one "buys."

For now I will continue with posting and providing feedback here on CiC, which in a way like a mentorship and trying some workshops to see how the benefit my photography.

Thanks

Real Name
    Dan

I make my living in part as a mentor, both of graduate students and of more junior faculty, so I found this a very interesting thread. I and my colleagues use the term all the time, but I had never stopped to think about the dividing line between this role and others.

I like Eric's distinction between a mentor and a tutor. Anyone can offer 1-to-1 tutorials. A mentorship, I think, is more than that. It is a long-standing relationship that entails not only respect, but a commitment to the person being mentored. When people in my world call someone else his or her mentor, it is a big compliment.

I'd be inclined to ignore the term when people advertise mentorships. They might end up providing one, but I am skeptical, particularly if the pair never even meet each other. I'd just treat it as an offer of paid online tutorials, which could range from superb to awful. Caveat emptor.

Real Name
    Virginia

One of the serious reasons for going to BIG photography shows is that the vendors all trot out their versions of mentors. At one in Las Vegas about 7 years ago, I talked to 2 Nikon Mentors for about 45 minutes and learned at least one bucketful, followed by 2 Sony Artisans for almost 75 minutes, and then to the Brother Printer marketing squad for about 30 minutes. I got a load of questions answered, most of which were about general issues, not "how-to" with each of the photography dudes. I had a load of questions for the printer dude, most particularly printing on fabric which they were the first to do and which has turned out to be a great way of making things like tote bags and t-shirts (and much better than Avery iron-on transfers). Their marketing squad was helpful to understanding what I could exactly promise potential buyers.

Again, I'm jes' sayin'....

virginia

Real Name
    Lew Lorton

I currently mentor two people, one in person, one by skype. They are at different levels, one a beginner with m4/3 and one quite experienced shooting ff.

I leave the issue of physical shooting alone, we deal with that when looking at photos. With each one the method is the same. We go through their photos, talking about exposure, shutter speed and dof.

During this time, we pick out 2 or 3 pictures to discuss and show how editing can realize their vision. Recently I have started uploading their pictures (sent beforehand) into a LR catalog then return a copy of the catalog, files and PSDs that result.

over the years I've had others who started, usually beginners who believed they just needed a lesson or two to become pro level.
    And who then sort of dropped away.

Real Name
    Richard

I am too old to need a mentor and too cranky to be one