Thread: NZ Gannets, Where/How?

Real Name
    Dan

NZ Gannets, Where/How?

Any of you Kiwis been to visit any of the Gannet colonies down there? Anyone else done so? Any advice, tips, etc?

Real Name
    Ken

Re: NZ Gannets, Where/How?

I have been to both Muruwai (1 hr from Auckland) and Cape Kidnappers (1/2hr From Napier/ Hastings). Latter involves a tractor ride along coast the climb up to rookery. Best time would be spring ~October when there will be nesting, eggs, birds flying in etc. You can get quite close, so don't need long lens. Former has vantage points where you look down and may need telephoto. I would recommend Cape Kidnappers.
    Photo I have is from Muruwai about early April where the last of the birds were fledging. Shows an adult feeding a chick.I do have a number of photos taken at Cape Kidnappers, but not on this computer

NZ Gannets, Where/How?

200mm, f4.0, crop sensor, cropped about Half

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

You can get quite close, so don't need long lens.
    Sounds like heaven...

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Muruwai is a dreadful place for a photographer if you only have a few minutes. Once you have been there for a few hours trying to get "the shot" you get used to the strong fishy/ammonia smell. However it is a great place to visit and there is a good cafe less then a kilometer up the road.

NZ Gannets, Where/How?

NZ Gannets, Where/How?

Real Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Sounds like heaven...
    2624 km Melbourne to Auckland, you may need a looong lens

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Muruwai is a dreadful place for a photographer if you only have a few minutes. Once you have been there for a few hours trying to get "the shot" you get used to the strong fishy/ammonia smell. However it is a great place to visit and there is a good cafe less then a kilometer up the road.

NZ Gannets, Where/How?

NZ Gannets, Where/How?
    Nice shots.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for the replies, Ken and Paul. I looked up Cape Kidnappers (interesting history by the way). If I'm reading right the only access is via one of the tour companies that provide transport to the site. Is that correct? If so how long to they keep you on site with the birds? And how many people are there? Looking at photos on one of the websites it looks like dozens of people lined up behind a rope. Is Muruwai the same situation? The government published brochure isn't very detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Looking at photos on one of the websites it looks like dozens of people lined up behind a rope. Is Muruwai the same situation? The government published brochure isn't very detailed.
    Hi Dan:

The Muriwai gannet colony is the most accessible gannet colony site in the world. One drives to within about 300m and completes the journey along a tarmac path to overlook the colony, lying along two headlands and a couple of off-shore islands.

As you walk along you can look down to the black sands beach, created from volcanic erosion of Mt Taranaki to the south. You may see surfers trying their chances on the waves. There are three lookout areas giving different aspects of the colony, and the paths offer their own views.

Access is free (there are no fees to enter reserves or national parks in NZ)

NZ Gannets, Where/How?
    View from the path on the way to the lookouts over the colony

NZ Gannets, Where/How?
    View to one of the off-shore islands

NZ Gannets, Where/How?

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for the info, Trev. Looks like an interesting place to poke around for a bit. Until the smell becomes unbearable. Longer if the olfactory overloads as suggested by Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Thanks for the info, Trev. Looks like an interesting place to poke around for a bit. Until the smell becomes unbearable. Longer if the olfactory overloads as suggested by Paul.
    The smell only gets rank after about Christmas, so if you go a bit early you should be able to tolerate it.

When one looks to the North one can see people fishing off the rocks (a rather perilous exercise in any sea) and surfers enjoying the waves along Muriwai Beach.

Real Name
    Paul

Here is a shot looking north. Would be better to photograph early in the morning when the sun is a bit less of a problem. It is well worth a visit and is only about an hour's drive north of Auckland. The smell is unpleasant but not too strong and depends a bit on the wind direction.

NZ Gannets, Where/How?

Real Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    The smell only gets rank after about Christmas, so if you go a bit early you should be able to tolerate it.

When one looks to the North one can see people fishing off the rocks (a rather perilous exercise in any sea) and surfers enjoying the waves along Muriwai Beach.
    On the day that we were there:-

NZ Gannets, Where/How?

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    2624 km Melbourne to Auckland, you may need a looong lens
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    On the day that we were there:-

NZ Gannets, Where/How?
    For a second I thought you had a very loong lens.....

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for the additional info and shots, guys. Especially the shot of the beach, Paul. No trouble convincing my bride to go anyplace with a beach like that. Could be a perfect set up. She can walk while I look at the birdies. Particularly if the odor is pungent she won't want to hang around long.

The place definitely looks to be worth a stop.

Real Name
    Barry Doig

There are two main colonies, Muriwai near Auckland, and Cape Kidnappers near Napier. I have been to Muriwai once and it is great if you are flying into Auckland and time is limited. But by far the best place is Cape Kidnappers near Hastings or Napier. I have been there many times as Hastings was my home. The best time is from September on as the eggs will be hatching. There are three ways to see them. A day walk along the beach, but that is time consuming. Or a tractor ride on the beach by Gannet Beach Adventures. Both involve a steep climb up to the colony at the end, but you also get to view a small colony close up on the beach. Or the overland safari by Gannet Safaris Overland. That will take you right to the main colony allowing you maximum time to view the birds. As an octogenarian I prefer the latter and you even get a cup of tea. It is an amazing experience. Photo attached

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks, Barry. My primary desire is maximum time at the site for photography. I'm sure it's a nice walk but there are plenty of beaches to trek without hauling a heavy photo kit. Your info is much appreciated.