Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lighting Bootcamp - harsh light C&C welcome

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Lighting Bootcamp - harsh light C&C welcome

Quote Originally Posted by KimC View Post
    Hi Bill. No flash or reflectors were used for our outside session (only natural light). We didn't use flash/reflectors in the hotel room with a window either. Flash was only used in a very dark ballroom and, you are correct, for on camera flash, he suggested we not use TTL and then he asked us to perform an exercise which showed us why his suggestion worked better. Off camera was another training session and TTL was used for aspects.
    Hi Kim,

I think that you have misunderstood or misread my Post #37.

The comment I made in Post #37 referred to the Camera's TTL Meter (i.e. the Camera's Light Meter) and had naught to do concerning Flash.

My comment meant that I would not have been surprised if your Teacher had asked you to go out and make Portraiture in Harsh Sunlight without the use of any LIGHT METER. Then I mentioned that I thought you would be up to performing that exercise/challenge.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I could have written "TTL Light Meter"

regards,

Bill

For the archival record of this conversation it has been my understanding from Post #1 that all the outside "harsh light" work was performed without Flash and without Light Reflectors of any type. My understanding was that doing so was one of the key points of the exercise. All my responses on this thread have reflected that understanding.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 4th May 2016 at 08:19 PM.

Real Name
    Kim

Re: Lighting Bootcamp - harsh light C&C welcome

I totally misread that Bill -- sorry about that.

His was ok with us metering with our camera while outside; however, he did mention that he wasn't looking for perfect histograms, he wanted us to see what pleased our eye and then think about how that was achieved. Experimentation was key over the 2.5 days which I personally loved. To be able to experiment with someone like him assisting, was so freeing and meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Hi Kim,

I think that you have misunderstood or misread my Post #37.

The comment I made in Post #37 referred to the Camera's TTL Meter (i.e. the Camera's Light Meter) and had naught to do concerning Flash.

My comment meant that I would not have been surprised if your Teacher had asked you to go out and make Portraiture in Harsh Sunlight without the use of any LIGHT METER. Then I mentioned that I thought you would be up to performing that exercise/challenge.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I could have written "TTL Light Meter"

regards,

Bill

For the archival record of this conversation it has been my understanding from Post #1 that all the outside "harsh light" work was performed without Flash and without Light Reflectors of any type. My understanding was that doing so was one of the key points of the exercise. All my responses on this thread have reflected that understanding.

WW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123