Thread: On line portfolio?

Real Name
    Brian

On line portfolio?

Hi, I am considering an online portfolio. Funds being limited means using a free blogger platform.
    Suggestions?
    B.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: On line portfolio?

Look at both WordPress and Wix. There are free versions of both. Setting up a portfolio can be done in both, although I found Wix a bit easier to use.

https://wordpress.com/

http://www.wix.com/
    Last edited by Manfred M; 30th April 2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Added links to WordPress and Wix

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Look at both WordPress and Wix. There are free versions of both. Setting up a portfolio can be done in both, although I found Wix a bit easier to use.
    will do

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

This is my Wix site.

http://manfredm2.wix.com/portfoliodevelopment

This is the site I built as part of the Portfolio Development course I took last year.

https://geomantravel.wordpress.com/

This is a WordPress site we used to keep in touch with friends and family when we were touring South Asia about 18 months ago. I set it up as a blog, but it can also handle a portfolio structure as well.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 30th April 2016 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Added Wix and WordPress sites

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    This is my Wix site.

http://manfredm2.wix.com/portfoliodevelopment

This is the site I built as part of the Portfolio Development course I took last year.

https://geomantravel.wordpress.com/

This is a WordPress site we used to keep in touch with friends and family when we were touring South Asia about 18 months ago. I set it up as a blog, but it can also handle a portfolio structure as well.
    I like them both. Obviously I need to learn more and try things out.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I appreciate that you want the site to be free. However, it might actually be worth paying for a relatively inexpensive site. As an example, I use Zenfolio at a cost of $30 per year. The problem with the free sites is that there is a history of some of them eventually discontinuing or dramatically altering some or all of their services. It is very time-consuming to determine the photos to be displayed at the site, to learn how to use the site's software and then to configure the display and other details of the site. So, it might be worthwhile paying a nominal fee with the hope of minimizing the chances of having to switch to another site (or not).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I appreciate that you want the site to be free. However, it might actually be worth paying for a relatively inexpensive site. As an example, I use Zenfolio at a cost of $30 per year. The problem with the free sites is that there is a history of some of them eventually discontinuing or dramatically altering some or all of their services. It is very time-consuming to determine the photos to be displayed at the site, to learn how to use the site's software and then to configure the display and other details of the site. So, it might be worthwhile paying a nominal fee with the hope of minimizing the chances of having to switch to another site (or not).
    Mike - this is also true for paid sites. Adobe is shutting down its paid Behance Pro site (last access to edit will be this June), while keeping the free Behance open. Users have been forced to migrate, so the "free" versus "paid" argument is not that persuasive.

Both WordPress and Wix have paid options. Their "free" options are more limited subsets of their paid offerings, so these are really to get you into their systems and as you either expand or don't want advertising on your website, you will switch to the paid model. Over half of the world's websites run on WordPress, so they are probably as stable a platform as you can find.

Real Name
    Robbie.

Brian,
    Do you need a domain name?
    Do you want JBW.com for example?
    Do you want brian@JBW.com for email contacts?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ekins View Post
    Brian,
    Do you need a domain name?
    Do you want JBW.com for example?
    Do you want brian@JBW.com for email contacts?
    my ego says yes but reality says no.

Real Name
    Robbie.

Assuming the reality is $$$ (Like the rest of us) what is your budget per month? You might be surprised...

You don't have to post here... PM me if you like

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You make a good point, Manfred. I just now looked up information about WordPress and came upon the information that it has 60 million users. Very impressive.

Both WordPress and Wix have paid options. Their "free" options are more limited subsets of their paid offerings, so these are really to get you into their systems and as you either expand or don't want advertising on your website, you will switch to the paid model. Over half of the world's websites run on WordPress, so they are probably as stable a platform as you can find.

Real Name
    Jörg

A gratis option is to use FOSS and self-host. If this appeals to you, Piwigo is such a free program which you might want to consider. I use it and am quite satisfied.

Even if the software changes, it's up to you whether or not to upgrade. In this sense, you can keep it running "forever".

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hevii Guy View Post
    A gratis option is to use FOSS and self-host. If this appeals to you, Piwigo is such a free program which you might want to consider. I use it and am quite satisfied.

Even if the software changes, it's up to you whether or not to upgrade. In this sense, you can keep it running "forever".
    Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Real Name
    John

SmugMug is another option. Yes, it is a paid service but the current cost for the basic plan is $3.34 per month billed annually. That comes out to $40.08 per year. SmugMug host millions of people and have been in business for a few years. No, I don't have a site on SmugMug as I am considering Siteground but I have looked over Smugmug and it looks like you get a lot of bang for the buck. Just my two cents worth.
    John

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by motordrive View Post
    SmugMug is another option. Yes, it is a paid service but the current cost for the basic plan is $3.34 per month billed annually. That comes out to $40.08 per year. SmugMug host millions of people and have been in business for a few years. No, I don't have a site on SmugMug as I am considering Siteground but I have looked over Smugmug and it looks like you get a lot of bang for the buck. Just my two cents worth.
    John
    thanks I'll take a look

Hey JBW,

I feel you man, I still think that, when you can, it would be a good idea to invest in a good web design. I can recommend something like ucraft or a similar type of builder that is affordable and has versatile design options. It is your portfolio after all and it should look like a million $. Check out this template bro: https://www.ucraft.com/select-template/website/wagner

Good luck
    Last edited by dushan; 24th June 2016 at 09:23 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by dushan View Post
    Hey JBW,

I feel you man, I still think that, when you can, it would be a good idea to invest in a good web design. I can recommend something like ucraft or a similar type of builder that is affordable and has versatile design options. It is your portfolio after all and it should look like a million $. Check out this template bro: https://www.ucraft.me/select-template/website/wagner

Good luck
    I am looking. But for now this is for free and it doesn't do too bad a job.

Interesting discussion, but it's a pity, noone wants to add new comments. I'm looking for a good way to create an online portfolio. Recently I've found a review of the website builders for online portfolio. I should say, some of them look promising, but maybe there are other new builders or platforms that weren't mentioned here or appeared during the last two years? Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Tina222 View Post
    Interesting discussion, but it's a pity, noone wants to add new comments. I'm looking for a good way to create an online portfolio. Recently I've found a review of the website builders for online portfolio. I should say, some of them look promising, but maybe there are other new builders or platforms that weren't mentioned here or appeared during the last two years? Thanks in advance!
    I think you will find that if you have a question or comments, then creating a new thread is usually the best way to go. Two year old threads tend to get ignored.

There are other approaches as well including WordPress that has a massive following, some of the image hosting sites have their own tools and of course there are always the custom coded approach. A single, high level article is not all that useful in making decisions on which way to go. I have used Behance, WorkPress and Wix in the past. I have files on Flickr and am currently working with SquareSpace and hope to migrate to it sometime this year.