Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canterbury Cathedral....sort of

Canterbury Cathedral....sort of

It was peak tourist season in Canterbury. The cathedral was chocker with all nationalities. There were innumerable point and shoots, bridges and DSLRs all pointing at the towering gothic spires....guess where mine was pointing...

Well I came away pretty happy without one 'wish you were here' snap and they had some pretty interesting chairs too....

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Canterbury Cathedral....sort of

Actually Canterbury is older than Gothic But I've only got your word that it is Canterbury Steve, it might be the local comp. Digressing they are not finished works at Lichfield until 2014, originally they (cathedrals) only took 60 years to build.

I've seen pics of Canterbury elsewhere and I can't say I'm impressed with them, I don't know what it is like for real but believe they have a vault (ceiling) that is as fine as lace.

This is good;

http://bbc.co.uk/i/b09rb/
    Last edited by arith; 9th August 2010 at 06:45 PM.

Actually Canterbury is older than Gothic
    Photo Dramatists license. Externally, Canterbury is nowhere near as impressive as York but the interior is pretty spectacular and the vault is beautiful. I am not sure how I missed that programme I am usually pretty good at spotting these documentaries. Many thanks for the link Steve I will watch at leisure.

Steve

Real Name
    Steve

Yes I'm pretty much impressed by the amount of work that goes into a cathedral, sort of set myself a target to faithfully reproduce one, but that of course doesn't only mean accurate images, but accuracy with feeling.

So I do something to get close to detail without losing sight of the bigness and somebody says, I've seen that before!

Last edited by arith; 10th August 2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Made no sense